Author Topic: What height ceiling do you like in a room?  (Read 2498 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
What height ceiling do you like in a room? « on: June 04, 2019, 11:21:50 PM » Author: Cole D.
For me I tend to like 9 foot ceiling, but it depend on the room. I think smaller rooms look better with lower ceiling. Like bedrooms and bathrooms are fine with 8 foot, although I prefer if a house have 8 foot ceilings, that it has a vaulted ceiling in the main areas. 9 foot throughout is nice, but usually I only see this in old houses from 1930s or earlier, or in very new, high end homes.

I've been to some houses in my area that have only 7 foot ceilings, and to me it felt far too low. I know in New England, some of the 1700s and 1800s houses have about 6.5 foot ceiling, to hold the heat better.

Personally I wouldn't want a house with less than 8 foot ceilings.

I like vaulted ceilings too, but usually only if the vault is somewhat deep. Shallow vaulted ceilings to me make the room seem not any bigger.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What height ceiling do you like in a room? « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 10:48:05 AM » Author: suzukir122
I'm a fan of rooms with really high ceilings. Especially lit with F96T12 Cool White HO. At home rooms with really high ceilings... I'm
also a fan of that too. When the height increases echo... <<< I'm a fan of that as well. Especially in a home.
My apartment living room has a vaulted ceiling... my guess is that it's maybe 10 feet from the ground but I'm not sure.
Won't be living here for much longer though... time for an upgrade. One of my friends has an apartment that has a vaulted ceiling
about 25 feet from the ground, I think. I'm not sure the height but it's definitely unnecessarily high. No echo though and THAT is
something I still don't understand. Still a small apartment though despite the high ceiling, and her kitchen is completely
lit with Rapid Start fluorescent of some sort. A lot of Rapid Start fixtures actually, including in her bathroom.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What height ceiling do you like in a room? « Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 12:46:38 AM » Author: takemorepills
I have 16 foot vaulted ceilings in every part of the upstairs of my home. I. Freaking. Hate. It!
The house feels so empty and the space is wasted. It costs money to heat/cool dead space, and maintenance can be a real PITA because there is no attic. So, if I want to add or change any lighting, or run new cables into walls I am SOL and must do drywall work to do anything.

I prefer lower ceilings for a more "cozy" feel. Some day I am going to build a new house that is a copy of an old house. I love the old houses so much, but they are $$$$$$ here where I live.
Men of God

View Posts
View Gallery

jiachao.wei.71 chao_813975447 UChyTpXvlQ8ZCfBPP_lJjubg chao990613
Re: What height ceiling do you like in a room? « Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 05:09:29 AM » Author: Men of God
在中国,一般天花板高度都不会超过3米的,我现在的家层高是2.7米。但是,现在中国大多数新建楼房的层高都在2.5米以下,甚至只有两米左右,我身高187,走进去之后感觉特别压抑!

我不会英文,所以我用中文,请你们用翻译网站翻译我打的字!

I can't in English, so I in Chinese, please use the translation website to translate my words!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: What height ceiling do you like in a room? « Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 08:25:39 AM » Author: CEB1993
I think 12-foot ceilings are my favorite height. That’s just high enough to make rooms feel more spacious and allow room for ceiling fans.

Anything higher than 12 feet is difficult to heat and cool.  We have a 16-foot vaulted ceiling at the lake house and that room stays warm no matter how much the A/C runs. When I go into my bedroom with 8-foot ceilings, there’s a noticeable difference in temperature. 

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: What height ceiling do you like in a room? « Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 11:39:24 PM » Author: Lumex120
I like shorter ceilings like 8 or 9 foot. Mainly because I prefer cozy small rooms to big and well, roomy ones.

Unofficial LG Discord

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: What height ceiling do you like in a room? « Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 09:27:13 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
I'm a fan of rooms with really high ceilings. Especially lit with F96T12 Cool White HO. At home rooms with really high ceilings... I'm
also a fan of that too. When the height increases echo... <<< I'm a fan of that as well. Especially in a home.
My apartment living room has a vaulted ceiling... my guess is that it's maybe 10 feet from the ground but I'm not sure.
Won't be living here for much longer though... time for an upgrade. One of my friends has an apartment that has a vaulted ceiling
about 25 feet from the ground, I think. I'm not sure the height but it's definitely unnecessarily high. No echo though and THAT is
something I still don't understand. Still a small apartment though despite the high ceiling, and her kitchen is completely
lit with Rapid Start fluorescent of some sort. A lot of Rapid Start fixtures actually, including in her bathroom.
What ballasts do those fixtures have?

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What height ceiling do you like in a room? « Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 01:47:28 AM » Author: suzukir122
I don't know unfortunately. I don't relate to her anymore. Not only that, but she also moved out of that apartment
a while ago.
However... her apartment complex set up might not be rare. There may be other apartments out
there that look similar, much like how there are many apartments out there that look similar to mine.
But with her apartment specifically, I have no idea what ballasts they used. Definitely not weak ballasts
though, since it was obvious that they were HPF with the brightness I saw. Even the ones in her bathroom
were HPF, but they had T8 lamps in them though, with magnetic R.S circuitry -- definitely F40T12 ballasts
operating F32T8 lamps. See through plastic ceiling tiles with fixtures above them... that's what
she had. I forget the specific name for it... and I never got to see the actual fixtures.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What height ceiling do you like in a room? « Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 01:30:59 AM » Author: ace100w120v
I lived in a house in Sitka, Alaska, built in 1955, with 6'6" ceilings Literally! It was tiny! We theorize it was built by a Chinese family during the local pulp mill boom. 

I've lived in places with 8'2 and that's not bad.  Even 7-6 is fine by me, probably my preference. 
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What height ceiling do you like in a room? « Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 11:44:46 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
For the main level, and upper level, nothing less than 8-feet! 10-feet would be cool, but no higher than that!

In my case the main levels are 8' The basement is 7'6" (would be nice if it was higher, but the lower height there has never really bothered me.)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: What height ceiling do you like in a room? « Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 10:16:08 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
For the main level, and upper level, nothing less than 8-feet! 10-feet would be cool, but no higher than that!

In my case the main levels are 8' The basement is 7'6" (would be nice if it was higher, but the lower height there has never really bothered me.)
That's also how my house is done.

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies