Author Topic: New idea for old gumball  (Read 1070 times)
takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

New idea for old gumball « on: June 05, 2019, 10:19:38 PM » Author: takemorepills
I just bought a GE gumball on eBay. I don't know what form factor it is called, but it's a teardrop with a mogul incan bulb.

So.... I do have an incan and a 250w EYE SBMV I could use in it, I like both styles of bulbs for different reasons. However, in a man-cave these bulbs can get wicked hot, and they don't last forever.

So, I had an idea. I was looking at LIFX wifi color changing bulbs, and it occurred to me that I could use the phone app to set the LIFX to a warm white incan, or a cool white DX MV.

But then I had another idea, maybe someone who knows these wifi/Android setups better than I can chime in: I think it would be possible to set up a "scene" or "script" to have the LIFX simulate a clear MV from initial startup through warmup to steady state color. I know some of the wifi bulb apps can actually use a picture or video to "pick" a color, and I do have a 175w clear MV lamp I can record "running up".

What do you guys think? It seems like it'd be a great way to simulate "old-school" without the heat or the consumption of rare bulbs.....
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: New idea for old gumball « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 10:57:01 PM » Author: Cole D.
That sounds like a really good idea. I was thinking to just use an LED but a color changing LED that can simulate MV startup would be quite realistic.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New idea for old gumball « Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 11:08:34 PM » Author: takemorepills
I've built RGBW power LED lighting before using PWM constant current control and Arduino or PIC, but I just want something easy this time, and the only mod my light will need is a mogul socket adapter...
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies