Author Topic: I think Walmart is doing away with GE electrical items  (Read 2208 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
I think Walmart is doing away with GE electrical items « on: June 15, 2019, 11:09:57 PM » Author: Cole D.
Walmart used to sell a lot of GE items in hardware department. I noticed in the last year though they've switched a lot of the night lights to the Meridian or Great Value brands. There are still some GE, but there isn't the selection there used to be. GE used to have lots of different unique night lights and power failure lights. The porcelain light sockets have changed to the Hyper Tough brand as well as some of the power taps. Some of the power taps have changed to Merkury Innovations.

So far the wiring devices, GFCIs, and multimedia wall plates are still GE. Plus Lowes sells some GE multimedia plates too. They also still have the GE fake surveillance cameras.

But also in the electronics department at Walmart, they used to sell GE cables and other items. But now most of it is the "onn" brand, which I find quite cheap.

GE also used to be Walmart's brand of small appliances during the late 2000s/early 2010s. And most of them had a cool stainless steel and black plastic style and digital controls and such. They mostly all used blue and green indicator lights as well which I thought was a nice look. But they stopped selling them too.

I do believe grocery stores tend to sell a lot of GE branded electrical things and wiring devices, but I haven't looked in any recently.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Edmund Ironside

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I think Walmart is doing away with GE electrical items « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 03:41:17 PM » Author: Edmund Ironside
Im no american so im not an expert on american stores but they are propably doing what most retailers here in Sweden and Scandinavia are doing. Replacing big brands with low cost self imported in house brand. It is a lot more profitable and also give the stores complete control over returns, quick changes in production and such.

Made in Sweden

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: I think Walmart is doing away with GE electrical items « Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 11:08:01 PM » Author: joseph_125
I think the Canadian Walmart stores carries mostly Leviton wiring devices but I don't remember what brand were the extension cords and power taps.

I believe most of the cables in the electronics are now the Onn brand too which I believe is WalMart's in house brand for electronic accessories.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: I think Walmart is doing away with GE electrical items « Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 10:36:50 AM » Author: Cole D.
Im no american so im not an expert on american stores but they are propably doing what most retailers here in Sweden and Scandinavia are doing. Replacing big brands with low cost self imported in house brand. It is a lot more profitable and also give the stores complete control over returns, quick changes in production and such.

That makes sense, because Hyper Tough and Onn are Walmart brands.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: I think Walmart is doing away with GE electrical items « Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 10:38:01 AM » Author: Cole D.
I think the Canadian Walmart stores carries mostly Leviton wiring devices but I don't remember what brand were the extension cords and power taps.

I believe most of the cables in the electronics are now the Onn brand too which I believe is WalMart's in house brand for electronic accessories.

Yeah, it is. I haven't seen Leviton devices, but I know the Hyper Tough ceramic fixtures look like Leviton's.

mefurd98

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I think Walmart is doing away with GE electrical items « Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 05:54:52 AM » Author: mefurd98
I rarely go to Walmart, but the last time I was there, they had a huge endcap display of green Sylvania incandescent bulbs...like a hundred or more of them. They had some GE products but most of it was Sylvania and their Great Value house brand.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: I think Walmart is doing away with GE electrical items « Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 03:59:13 PM » Author: Cole D.
I noticed maybe a month ago Walmart had the GE plant lights with the blue reflector bulb, on clearance, and now they don't seem to sell it anymore.

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I think Walmart is doing away with GE electrical items « Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 09:01:04 AM » Author: takemorepills
I don't think that WM is doing away with GE, more like GE Lighting probably doesn't exist anymore.

GE is going the way of Westinghouse.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: I think Walmart is doing away with GE electrical items « Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 12:35:45 AM » Author: Cole D.
I still see GE night lights at Walmart and Home Depot. However, I noticed the wiring devices (switches and outlets) that used to be at Walmart branded as GE are now branded "by Jasco" instead. Which Jasco makes GE's wiring devices, night lights, surge protectors and electronic accessories.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: I think Walmart is doing away with GE electrical items « Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 05:52:40 PM » Author: CEB1993
I'm seeing much more Hyper Tough brand electrical and hardware products in Walmart nowadays.  I agree, Walmart is stocking fewer GE products.  Most of the general purpose LED and 3-way incandescents are now Sylvania brand.  The Great Value incandescents and LEDs are both made by Sylvania in the USA, and seem to be better overall than GE.  A few specialty GE products remain including the A15 appliance bulbs, night lights, and a few specialty LEDs. 

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I think Walmart is doing away with GE electrical items « Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 02:44:49 AM » Author: tolivac
The "GE" brand things WalMart had was just in name only.Don't think it will be missed at this point.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies