Author Topic: Green Lighting Products  (Read 2246 times)
form109
Green Lighting Products « on: November 21, 2008, 01:45:04 PM » Author: form109
i ran across this page a dfew weeks ago that sells lighting equipment such as bulbs,fixtures,and acessories such as ballasts,and photocells check it out,the company is Green Lighting
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 04:10:16 PM by form109 » Logged
Mercury Man

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Green Lighting Products « Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 12:16:42 AM » Author: Mercury Man
I think it's interesting that suddenly everyone is so concerned about green lighting.  What does that mean exactly?  For the last ten years, CFLs have been advocated as the new way to cut down on power usage.  Aside from that, what huge technological advances in lighting have occurred? Low mercury T8 fluorescent lighting, in which the ballasts crap out after 3 years and the tubes lose vacuum?  LEDs that aren't yet where they should be to replace ANY kind of current widely-used lighting technology?  I think green lighting should encompass stores/businesses/etc. where lights are left on for no reason, for example, storefront signage, night lights, etc.  Why should lights be on when no one needs them?  Dayburning streetlights.  Address that, before deciding to retrofit everything with "new" stuff that requires more maintenance and hasn't yet proved its efficacy.  That's just my opinion, but I think until a way to light spaces using NO energy is introduced, people should stop retrofitting what already works, ESPECIALLY if it requires little maintenance.
form109
Re: Green Lighting Products « Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 01:13:28 AM » Author: form109
I think it's interesting that suddenly everyone is so concerned about green lighting.  What does that mean exactly?  For the last ten years, CFLs have been advocated as the new way to cut down on power usage.  Aside from that, what huge technological advances in lighting have occurred? Low mercury T8 fluorescent lighting, in which the ballasts crap out after 3 years and the tubes lose vacuum?  LEDs that aren't yet where they should be to replace ANY kind of current widely-used lighting technology?  I think green lighting should encompass stores/businesses/etc. where lights are left on for no reason, for example, storefront signage, night lights, etc.  Why should lights be on when no one needs them?  Dayburning streetlights.  Address that, before deciding to retrofit everything with "new" stuff that requires more maintenance and hasn't yet proved its efficacy.  That's just my opinion, but I think until a way to light spaces using NO energy is introduced, people should stop retrofitting what already works, ESPECIALLY if it requires little maintenance.

brian,green-lighting refers to the name of the company in this case they manufacture (wallpacks,canopy fixtures,cobraheads,lamps,ballasts ect...)

you were probably referring to the act of using more energy efficent lighting sources which is often called green lighting.
lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Re: Green Lighting Products « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 08:12:45 PM » Author: lightman64
They should make a photocell that won't dayburn

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: Green Lighting Products « Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 08:37:51 PM » Author: lite_lover
There are photocells available that fail in the off position.

The brighter the better.

form109
Re: Green Lighting Products « Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 09:02:42 PM » Author: form109
they should make photocells that dont fail at all!
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Green Lighting Products « Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 09:48:15 PM » Author: Foxtronix
Quite hard Form109, nothing is eternal! Even the LifeGuards from the 60s.

form109
Re: Green Lighting Products « Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 04:56:10 PM » Author: form109
very true...photocells often fail from welded contacts,or deteriation of the EYE.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Green Lighting Products « Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 04:09:45 PM » Author: Medved
Quite hard Form109, nothing is eternal! Even the LifeGuards from the 60s.

A bit corrected: They should not fail within well predictable (long enough) lifetime, so their mortality curve would be nearly rectangular. Then it's not as big issue to plan-in their group-replacement (together with relamping), so no photocell then fail on the street.
Loose welds is a quality problem (voids in the material, thermal stress) and this should be possible improve.
Eye wear is well predictable process, so it's lifetime should be well predictable and the eye designed so it will reliably work for the required lifetime.
Material fatigue is again well predictable process, so it's lifetime should be well predictable (contacts, springs).

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies