Author Topic: How did you started you lighting fascination?  (Read 5355 times)
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: How do you started you lighting fascination? « Reply #15 on: August 06, 2019, 11:38:37 PM » Author: Binarix128
@fluorescent 05 Me too! When I was young I made reflectors with little boxes and Christmas lights and made them phone with batteries, the yellow bulbs were incandescent and the blue and green ones were mercury vapor.  :)  ;D  :mv:  :inc:
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: How do you started you lighting fascination? « Reply #16 on: August 07, 2019, 10:30:46 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
@fluorescent 05 Me too! When I was young I made reflectors with little boxes and Christmas lights and made them phone with batteries, the yellow bulbs were incandescent and the blue and green ones were mercury vapor.  :)  ;D  :mv:  :inc:
Were there any orange ones to use as HPS?

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How do you started you lighting fascination? « Reply #17 on: November 02, 2019, 11:53:54 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
I have always been intristed in machines and electricity and at the beggining of 2019 I found a old MH lamp and that started it!
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: How do you started you lighting fascination? « Reply #18 on: November 02, 2019, 12:38:29 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I was a 'late bloomer' - my lighting fascination didn't get going until I met Ria really. I had always noticed the wonderful colours of street lighting, but hadn't appreciated it like I do now.

I regret bitterly that I hadn't paid more attention to it before the current drive we have towards LED, as what we have here are the cheapest of the cheap and are awful. Less lumen output with zero optical control from more wattage is not a sign of progress.  >:(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How do you started you lighting fascination? « Reply #19 on: November 02, 2019, 12:45:33 PM » Author: Rommie
I have been interested in lighting for as long as I can remember. My mother is rather fond of embarrassing me by recalling an incident from when I was around 5 or 6 years old (which I do not remember at all..!) when we were apparently looking at a flower display in a florist's window. My mother said to me something along the lines of "look at the pretty flowers" to which I allegedly replied by pointing at a very grubby bare incandescent bulb in the corner of the shop window and saying "Light..!" :-[  ;D

My father was an engineer and my next door neighbour was an electrician, so I suppose I picked up a lot from them. Collected a few incandescents until I was about 16 or so, then lost interest until a few years ago and since then things have spiralled  ;D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 01:02:01 PM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Edmund Ironside

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How do you started you lighting fascination? « Reply #20 on: November 03, 2019, 02:19:04 AM » Author: Edmund Ironside
When i started working in retail and started selling among other things, light bulbs. I knew nothing about lamps and had to read up on it and i just... Never.. Stopped.. Learning.. More... About... LAMPS!

Now i have a bunch of bulbs and street lights in my collection.

Made in Sweden

A2ZAlarms

View Posts
View Gallery

UCn-UWLJRLZh8NA46vkc1jSQ A2Z Alarms
Re: How do you started you lighting fascination? « Reply #21 on: November 06, 2019, 11:07:23 AM » Author: A2ZAlarms
i was always interested in electrical stuff since i was born. I fund some old florescent lights in the scrap when i was 12 and the collection grew from there.

I don't dislike High quality led lamps, but vintage usually wins.

LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Fred Dirst is watching you

UCp-ouYxSgmqTWUY4RGWyAFg rollaman82
Re: How do you started you lighting fascination? « Reply #22 on: November 14, 2019, 06:04:38 PM » Author: LightsDelight
What I can recall is that I used to watch the 80W MV B2224 on my street fire up with that nice MV colour :). My collection started when I was in year 6 (2016) I got my first light, a thorn beta 5 and then a B3000, ever since then progress has been slow until I got invited to the ASLC group on facebook ;D and then it really took off before then I had 4 lights and now I have 28 :o.

Keep discharge lighting alive

LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How do you started you lighting fascination? « Reply #23 on: November 14, 2019, 08:05:52 PM » Author: LightsDelight

I got my first street light in 1963. My dad brought home some new Line Material Spherolite Juniors in their factory boxes. The Co-Op was going mercury vapor and these were left over new that were not going to be installed. That started me on pole transformers, cutouts, oil circuit reclosers, and watthour meters.

Cool 8). Do you still have that fitting, I'd love to see it.

LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How do you started you lighting fascination? « Reply #24 on: November 14, 2019, 08:19:48 PM » Author: LightsDelight
Sorry, do not. I wish I had kept these four fixtures but they were traded off for other electrical apparatus later on.
Oh well, that happens :(

thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery
All lighting except LED rules!

Re: How do you started you lighting fascination? « Reply #25 on: March 23, 2021, 03:35:20 PM » Author: thelightingman
I have always liked lights and other things. I have showed my intrest in them for years and years. It was this year that I got my first street light, an AEL 115 from 2003 for $15 at the ReStore. I got another one for $15 there also one month later at the same ReStore. Before that last summer, I got a 4 foot T12 fluorescent light for free from someone. I have a small collection and it is only going to get bigger. I recently got a 50 watt HPS ballast and bulb and an AEL R175M with /DX bulb from member wide-lite 1000.  :hps:  :mv: 

I think HPS, MV, and MH rule! :mv: :mvc: :hps: :emh: Ban LED instead! :eoled:

alexd120

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How do you started you lighting fascination? « Reply #26 on: March 29, 2021, 02:57:17 PM » Author: alexd120
I've been fascinated with lighting since 2005 or 2006.
 I had a fascination 400 W gym lights
But I didn't start collecting until 2013.

Rapid start ,preheat metal halide mercury vapor and high pressure sodium for life.

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: How do you started you lighting fascination? « Reply #27 on: April 02, 2021, 05:37:57 PM » Author: Econolite03
What started by fascination was stealing light bulbs out of the lamps throughout my house when I was a toddler.

Now on Linktree

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: How do you started you lighting fascination? « Reply #28 on: April 02, 2021, 08:28:58 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
What started by fascination was stealing light bulbs out of the lamps throughout my house when I was a toddler.
I used to do that too! One time my dad found all of my "stash" in a cardboard toy house I used to have and got really mad!

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: How do you started you lighting fascination? « Reply #29 on: April 02, 2021, 08:54:29 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan

Same here, except I only took them from the lamps that weren’t used.  :lol:
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies