Author Topic: HELP! Running A 18W SOX Lamp  (Read 11694 times)
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

HELP! Running A 18W SOX Lamp « on: July 23, 2019, 12:41:34 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
Hey lighting friends ;D

To my fellow SOX lamp experts. Does anybody know what type of ballast I can substitute for a proper SOX ballast, to safely and correctly run an 18 watt SOX low pressure sodium lamp? I probably could find the answer by searching around on either of the lighting gallery sites however I figured I'd just ask for an answer. I know I have seen discussions before on running SOX lamps with fluorescent ballasts.

-Ryan

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: HELP! Running A 18W SOX Lamp « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 07:49:23 AM » Author: 589
I'm not as qualified as some of the folks here to answer this but in my experience a Fulham WH3 with both red wires will run a 18 or 35w well.

:lps:

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HELP! Running A 18W SOX Lamp « Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 01:32:35 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
I'm not as qualified as some of the folks here to answer this but in my experience a Fulham WH3 with both red wires will run a 18 or 35w well.

Ah ok. Yeah I just want to get a ballast that is cheap that will safely run an 18 watt SOX properly and hopefully not effect the life of the lamp. I might want to use it as lighting in my room occasionally for extended periods of time. I was looking at T8 ballasts but I don't have much knowledge on fluorescent stuff. I was unsure of what to get. I have seen some T8 ballasts cheap online for like $13. Home Depot has some too for like $15. I guess they make them for different numbers of lamps? I saw some that say they're for 1 or 2 T8 lamps and then there's ones that run more lamps. I don't know if that matters. I'm hoping someone on here can just point me directly to the exact T8 ballast needed that I can buy/order.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HELP! Running A 18W SOX Lamp « Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 03:55:18 PM » Author: Medved
It is a 0.35A rated lamp, with arc voltage about 60V (very similar to F18T8 fluorescent). But require rather high OCV for ignition.
On 230V it runs quite well on a F18T8 choke plus a SOX ignitor, but I dont know whether this is available for 120V/60Hz (it would have to be more of a HX style).
They run well on some electronic ballasts, those that could be wired as instant start, without cathode heating (with some that means shorting the filament wires, with others leaving these open, depend on internal ballast structure).
So if you can find some IS  electronic ballast delivering as close as possible to the 0.35A, it will work well.

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: HELP! Running A 18W SOX Lamp « Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 05:30:44 AM » Author: dor123
What is the problem with 120V 60hz F20T12 choke and a glow starter?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HELP! Running A 18W SOX Lamp « Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 08:02:47 AM » Author: HPSM250R2

I don't know lol. I'm hoping the SOX lamp experts on L-G will help me. I'm looking for an easy way to run an 18 watt SOX. I want it to properly run it to full brightness. I might make a makeshift stand to put the ballast and lamp socket on so I can display it running on a table or dresser. Probably just a piece of 2 x 6 wood that I will screw the T8 ballast and socket to.

Oh and that's another thing. Can SOX lamps run in multiple positions? Base up, down, horizontal?

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: HELP! Running A 18W SOX Lamp « Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 10:27:27 AM » Author: 589
Ah ok. Yeah I just want to get a ballast that is cheap that will safely run an 18 watt SOX properly and hopefully not effect the life of the lamp. I might want to use it as lighting in my room occasionally for extended periods of time. I was looking at T8 ballasts but I don't have much knowledge on fluorescent stuff. I was unsure of what to get. I have seen some T8 ballasts cheap online for like $13. Home Depot has some too for like $15. I guess they make them for different numbers of lamps? I saw some that say they're for 1 or 2 T8 lamps and then there's ones that run more lamps. I don't know if that matters. I'm hoping someone on here can just point me directly to the exact T8 ballast needed that I can buy/order.

WH3 ballasts can be had on eBay for ~$20

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fulham-Workhorse-3-Versatile-Solid-State-Electronic-Ballast-WH3-120-L-17047/143324733977?epid=1704042177&hash=item215ed1e219:g:8WUAAOSwyx1dJOzi:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!30041!US!-1

SOX is instant start only since there is only one connection per filament, so no way to pre-heat the filaments.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 10:33:48 AM by 589 » Logged

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HELP! Running A 18W SOX Lamp « Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 10:38:38 AM » Author: HPSM250R2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fulham-Workhorse-3-Versatile-Solid-State-Electronic-Ballast-WH3-120-L-17047/143324733977?epid=1704042177&hash=item215ed1e219:g:8WUAAOSwyx1dJOzi:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!30041!US!-1

SOX is instant start only since there is only one connection per filament, so no way to pre-heat the filaments.

Ah. Ok so that model Fulham ballast you included a link for will be exactly what I need? Nothing else needed? It will properly run an 18 watt SOX to its full brightness and not affect the life of the lamp?
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: HELP! Running A 18W SOX Lamp « Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 10:40:05 AM » Author: dor123

I would beware with fluorescent electronic ballasts to run SOX lamps, as any mistake can ruin the lamp. I've heard about UK members destroyed their SOX lamps by electronic ballasts.

You can connect the glow starter in parallel to the lamp, so it work like a HPS lamp with an internal glow starter.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: HELP! Running A 18W SOX Lamp « Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 10:54:51 AM » Author: 589
Ah. Ok so that model Fulham ballast you included a link for will be exactly what I need? Nothing else needed? It will properly run an 18 watt SOX to its full brightness and not affect the life of the lamp?

There have been several people here that have done this, but I haven't heard of any long term reports yet. I have personally run an 18w for ~1 year with no visible issues on an WH3. I don't have any way to compare a 18w on mag gear but I imagine its close. Make sure to attach both red leads to one side of the lamp and the yellow to the other. The amount of red wires determines how much power is input to the lamp and only one red wire will under drive it.

I would beware with fluorescent electronic ballasts to run SOX lamps, as any mistake can ruin the lamp. I've heard about UK members destroyed their SOX lamps by electronic ballasts.
You can connect the glow starter in parallel to the lamp, so it work like a HPS lamp with an internal glow starter.

Thats good to know, I never thought of that before.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HELP! Running A 18W SOX Lamp « Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 12:43:13 PM » Author: Medved
The glow starter gives only one pulse, the SOX needs longer tray of pulses for few seconds, practically till the electrodes warm up.
Normal SOX ignitors generate HF about 500V or so, but need 230V for that. So you would need some capable to generate this from just 120V (not that it wont be feasible, but I'm not aware about any commercially available)...

No more selfballasted c***

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HELP! Running A 18W SOX Lamp « Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 12:47:05 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
The glow starter gives only one pulse, the SOX needs longer tray of pulses for few seconds, practically till the electrodes warm up.
Normal SOX ignitors generate HF about 500V or so, but need 230V for that. So you would need some capable to generate this from just 120V (not that it wont be feasible, but I'm not aware about any commercially available)...

Hmmm. Maybe I'll just wait until I find an 18 watt SOX ballast for a low price then.
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: HELP! Running A 18W SOX Lamp « Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 03:56:28 PM » Author: lights*plus
Ryan, please ignore all the "superfluous" instructions (no offense intended to anyone).

Simply get a Fulham Workhorse 3 ballast. For any North American supply, ground the ballast correctly, connect both red wires on one side and the single yellow wire on the other side of the lamp socket. You're done.

Actually, the WH3 will overwork if lighting the 18w SOX in a dusk-to-dawn manner like 12 hours nightly. Heat buildup might also be a problem. The lamp on the other hand, will take all that the WH3 will dish out. Another excellent ballast is a Keystone KTEB-142T. An Advance ICF-2S42 ballast (for 42w CFL) will slightly under-drive the 18w. The Workhorse 2, which is often found on youtube as a good alternative, will grossly under-drive the lamp, but it's great on the 10w SOX.
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HELP! Running A 18W SOX Lamp « Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 04:04:26 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
Ryan, please ignore all the "superfluous" instructions (no offense intended to anyone).

Simply get a Fulham Workhorse 3 ballast. For any North American supply, ground the ballast correctly, connect both red wires on one side and the single yellow wire on the other side of the lamp socket. You're done.

Actually, the WH3 will overwork if lighting the 18w SOX in a dusk-to-dawn manner like 12 hours nightly. Heat buildup might also be a problem. The lamp on the other hand, will take all that the WH3 will dish out. Another excellent ballast is a Keystone KTEB-142T. An Advance ICF-2S42 ballast (for 42w CFL) will slightly under-drive the 18w. The Workhorse 2, which is often found on youtube as a good alternative, will grossly under-drive the lamp, but it's great on the 10w SOX.

Thanks for the information George. I will look into those ballast models you mentioned. At the moment I'm just looking for a low cost way to run a lamp. I plan on screwing a ballast and lamp socket to a piece of 2 x 6 most likely to use as a stand to display a running lamp for now. Hopefully the ballast doesn't get too hot to be screwed onto a piece of wood?

Also do you know if SOX lamps are universal burn? With my current plans it will be running base down.
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: HELP! Running A 18W SOX Lamp « Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 04:14:41 PM » Author: lights*plus
Use a piece of metal instead, to act as a heat-sink. The WH3 will take 2+ hours to heat up to 38C in an open-air environment.

As far as I know, the 18w can burn base down to horizontal, never base up. When you get the cases from home-depot, Philips will likely have burning instructions or a diagram on lamp cartons or the case itself.

It's also important to remember not to move the lamp during or after operation. The liquid sodium can easily slosh into the emitter-burners which can be fatal. Let it cool for half an hour before moving.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies