Author Topic: USA Lamp Bans -- Is The January 1, 2020 Phaseout Still Happening?  (Read 4116 times)
nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
USA Lamp Bans -- Is The January 1, 2020 Phaseout Still Happening? « on: July 23, 2019, 03:25:05 PM » Author: nogden
The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 states that "If the Secretary fails to complete a rulemaking in accordance with clauses (i) through (iv) or if the final rule does not produce savings that are greater than or equal to the savings from a minimum efficacy standard of 45 lumens per watt, effective beginning January 1, 2020,
the Secretary shall prohibit the sale of any general service lamp that does not meet a minimum efficacy standard of 45 lumens per watt."

Does anyone know if this is still going to happen? In other words, will general service halogen lamps "go away" at the end of this year?

Please, let's not get into politics here. We've beat the "lamp ban" issue enough. I'm just curious if anyone knows whether the 2020 mandate is still going to happen.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: USA Lamp Bans -- Is The January 1, 2020 Phaseout Still Happening? « Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 03:43:59 PM » Author: Lumex120
The 1/1/2016 mercury lamp ban was cancelled because it was determined that it was pointless. I'd assume the same thing happened to this one. And to be honest, I can't see our current president ever wanting to pass something like this.

Unofficial LG Discord

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: USA Lamp Bans -- Is The January 1, 2020 Phaseout Still Happening? « Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 07:50:24 AM » Author: 589
The 1/1/2016 mercury lamp ban was cancelled because it was determined that it was pointless. I'd assume the same thing happened to this one. And to be honest, I can't see our current president ever wanting to pass something like this.

I concur

:lps:

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: USA Lamp Bans -- Is The January 1, 2020 Phaseout Still Happening? « Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 08:17:35 AM » Author: funkybulb
Well U got Rick Perry In DOE  He very Pro Incadescent
He Tried to bring Incandescent Lamp making to Texas.  I dont Think there will be any enforcement action there.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: USA Lamp Bans -- Is The January 1, 2020 Phaseout Still Happening? « Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 08:18:29 AM » Author: nogden
Good to hear!
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: USA Lamp Bans -- Is The January 1, 2020 Phaseout Still Happening? « Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 05:45:43 PM » Author: lights*plus
Personally, I'd like to see fluorescent lamps phased out. This is mainly due to maintenance people being idiots.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: USA Lamp Bans -- Is The January 1, 2020 Phaseout Still Happening? « Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 06:28:15 PM » Author: Lumex120
Ugh I hate seeing smashed fluorescent bulbs in dumpsters like that.  ::)

Unofficial LG Discord

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: USA Lamp Bans -- Is The January 1, 2020 Phaseout Still Happening? « Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 07:18:56 PM » Author: ace100w120v
With the current administration and political climate, it wouldn't surprise me if this ban isn't enacted, but we'll see.  It wouldn't impact me anyway, I have lots of NOS bulbs to use.  Now, would incandescents in 40/60/75/100 watt come back? That I'm unsure of. 
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: USA Lamp Bans -- Is The January 1, 2020 Phaseout Still Happening? « Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 09:01:51 PM » Author: sol
Here in Canada, the government intends to ban almost all discharge lamps on account of mercury disposal problems. From what I understand, it will become illegal to manufacture or import fluorescent lamps by 2023 and most of the rest would go by 2028.

Now, I don’t know if this will affect orders on eBay, for example. I hope not, but I’m considering stocking up.
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: USA Lamp Bans -- Is The January 1, 2020 Phaseout Still Happening? « Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 10:06:17 PM » Author: Patrick
I've read a number of articles, and I haven't found it stated anywhere that the tighter restrictions won't be going in place next year.  Does anyone know if California has further limited the sale of general purpose halogen lamps?  I believe they were implementing them a year in advance.

I have seen the current administration pushing back on an expansion to the definition of general purpose lamps, which would have regulated 3-Way, rough service, and non-A shaped lamps.  I've seen less about anything that would stop the enactment of the rules on the books since the Bush years.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: USA Lamp Bans -- Is The January 1, 2020 Phaseout Still Happening? « Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 08:29:12 AM » Author: nogden
I'm concerned that although the political climate is not favorable to further lamp bans, the "ball is already rolling" and its not a big enough issue for anyone to bother stopping right now.
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: USA Lamp Bans -- Is The January 1, 2020 Phaseout Still Happening? « Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 03:14:57 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Ugh I hate seeing smashed fluorescent bulbs in dumpsters like that.  ::)

Why?

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: USA Lamp Bans -- Is The January 1, 2020 Phaseout Still Happening? « Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 05:18:50 PM » Author: lights*plus
I don't know how much mercury is in today's fluorescent lamps, but they represent about 80% of the total mercury content in lighting. Compact fluorescent lamps contain only 4 mg of mercury. The mercury content for early lamps was rather high. Mercury is also bound in an amalgam in HID lamps which is hard to break down in the environment, supposedly.

Due to the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive 2002/95/EC, EU nations have strictly limited the use of mercury which effectively bans the use of it in lighting as well as cadmium and lead.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: USA Lamp Bans -- Is The January 1, 2020 Phaseout Still Happening? « Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 06:38:49 PM » Author: Cole D.
Well if this the case then I'm not going to bother collecting streetlights. Or at least HID ones. Because it will be difficult to get lamps. Or else they will be overpriced collectors items than something comfortable using.  ::)

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: USA Lamp Bans -- Is The January 1, 2020 Phaseout Still Happening? « Reply #14 on: July 30, 2019, 10:31:01 PM » Author: Lumex120
Why?
Because of the mercury it releases. I mean, I know it's not that much but still.

Unofficial LG Discord

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies