Author Topic: What is the purpose of getter in High Pressure Sodium Lamps?  (Read 4854 times)
form109
What is the purpose of getter in High Pressure Sodium Lamps? « on: November 23, 2008, 04:18:53 PM » Author: form109
what purpose does that silvery stuff near the base of high pressure sodium lamps serve?
lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: What is the purpose of getter in High Pressure Sodium Lamps? « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 06:19:53 PM » Author: lite_lover
I believe it's there to remove impurities from within the outer glass envelope that would otherwise attack the arctube.

The brighter the better.

form109
Re: What is the purpose of getter in High Pressure Sodium Lamps? « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 06:23:11 PM » Author: form109
is there a reason why this feature is used only on high pressure sodium lamps?

how come its not needed on mercury vapor or metal halide lamps?
Mercury Man

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is the purpose of getter in High Pressure Sodium Lamps? « Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 06:55:00 PM » Author: Mercury Man
I've wondered the same thing.  Except I have no idea either!  And on the crappy "Polarlites" Chinese HPS lamps I have, the silvery stuff only goes about 3/4 the way around the bottom of the bulb.
gmercury2000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is the purpose of getter in High Pressure Sodium Lamps? « Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 07:43:13 PM » Author: gmercury2000
May have something to do with the material HPS arc tubes are made of. The only reason I can think of.
form109
Re: What is the purpose of getter in High Pressure Sodium Lamps? « Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 07:45:06 PM » Author: form109
so is getter required in ceramic metal halide lamps too?
lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: What is the purpose of getter in High Pressure Sodium Lamps? « Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 09:22:45 PM » Author: lite_lover
Yes, but you see the getter as a disk or little puck attached to the frame.

The brighter the better.

form109
Re: What is the purpose of getter in High Pressure Sodium Lamps? « Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 01:19:57 AM » Author: form109
what excatly is the getter made out of?
lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: What is the purpose of getter in High Pressure Sodium Lamps? « Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 05:37:53 AM » Author: lite_lover
The pellet is Zirconium-Iron.
The silvered getter is barium.

The brighter the better.

form109
Re: What is the purpose of getter in High Pressure Sodium Lamps? « Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 02:30:29 PM » Author: form109
thanks!!
valirex

View Posts
View Gallery

street lamp collector and restorer

valirexx
Re: What is the purpose of getter in High Pressure Sodium Lamps? « Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 04:19:31 PM » Author: valirex
why the new generation of lamps made this days don't have anymore that barium coating at the bottom?

street lamp collector and restorer

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is the purpose of getter in High Pressure Sodium Lamps? « Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 12:53:14 AM » Author: tolivac
The "flash" getters were used in vacuum tubes as well-Cesium.These absorb any further gas in the tube when it has been pumpted to as much vacuum as the pumping equipment can get to.The flash getters absorb gas the pumping misses.And the flash getters will still absorb gas ginen off by the tube or bulb elements as it is used.Bulbs or tubes used a lot show less "silver" color in them-they are still good-just that the getter has absorbed gas during the life of the tube.The getters are more used if the vacuum tube is used as a power amplifier-or of course in the HID bulbs.Mercury,MH lamps are usually filled with argon or nitrogen-not pumpted to a full vacuum.Those have the disc like getters.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What is the purpose of getter in High Pressure Sodium Lamps? « Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 04:55:57 AM » Author: dor123
I think your HPS lamp use solid state getter, similar to Philips SOX-PSG low pressure sodium, instead of the barium getter.
These getters are exists in all sodium and MH lamps. Only the American style probe-start MH lamps don't have them, since they are built like mercury lamps, so they requires low pressure nitrogen atmosphere in the outer.
The getter absorbs oxygen from the outer, to maintain the vacuum inside it. Otherwise, thermal insulation inside the lamp will be lower and the arctube seals would oxidize and fail very rapidly.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 04:58:37 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies