Author Topic: 3 way incandscent bulbs  (Read 3007 times)
Keyless

View Posts
View Gallery

3 way incandscent bulbs « on: August 22, 2019, 07:26:55 AM » Author: Keyless
Will these be eventually banned? And when? And what will replace them? What about rough service?

I'm stalking up on 3 ways in case they disappear like A-19 60 watt soft whites.

I'm going to be honest. I don't like, hate really, LED bulbs in table lamps. I can live with LED everywhere else but not the lights I read and relax by. 
nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: 3 way incandscent bulbs « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 02:53:28 PM » Author: nogden
They won't be banned in the foreseeable future. I think our legislators and EPA are slowly moving on to other things besides banning bulbs (though we still have to be watchful and diligent!).
Keyless

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 3 way incandscent bulbs « Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 07:20:28 AM » Author: Keyless
I hope so.

It seems like the inside frost fan bulbs by GE are no longer sold.
nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: 3 way incandscent bulbs « Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 08:14:48 AM » Author: nogden
Inside frost lamps have been slowly disappearing most likely because of the hazards of handling, using, and disposing of the acid used in the frosting process. Its a shame; inside frost is my favorite finish!
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 3 way incandscent bulbs « Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 01:53:38 AM » Author: tolivac
Hydrofluric acid was used to etch glass-the stuff is HIGHLY dangerous!Eats flesh,bone as well as glass!
Keyless

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 3 way incandscent bulbs « Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 04:39:01 AM » Author: Keyless
Are we talking about acid being used in frosted or coated light bulbs?
nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: 3 way incandscent bulbs « Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 08:28:37 AM » Author: nogden
Frosted. Coated lamps (such as "standard" frost and soft white) are usually coated by adding silica dust to the inside of the lamp during manufacturing. Silica is basically just more glass so basically harmless. Much safer and more environmentally-friendly. Still, I miss true inside frost!
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 3 way incandscent bulbs « Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 09:46:34 AM » Author: Medved
Hydrofluric acid was used to etch glass-the stuff is HIGHLY dangerous!Eats flesh,bone as well as glass!

But there are well established cheap methods and rules of working with it safely, for both workers, as well the environment. The only thing needed is they need to be observed. After neutralizing (nothing complex if you know what the materials is about and have them at hand for a case of emergency) the remains are completely harmless...

No more selfballasted c***

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 3 way incandscent bulbs « Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 09:57:20 AM » Author: Medved
Frosted. Coated lamps (such as "standard" frost and soft white) are usually coated by adding silica dust to the inside of the lamp during manufacturing. Silica is basically just more glass so basically harmless. Much safer and more environmentally-friendly. Still, I miss true inside frost!
The "true frost" absorbs quite some light, so reduces the efficacy.
The etching method is a kind of compromise - way less significant efficacy loss, at the cost of not so perfect diffusion (mainly when lamps in direct sight).

And the silica dust makes more problem with contamination: Because of the larger surface, more gasses adhere to it, so it becomes a bit more complex to outgas the final lamp (that was the reason, why many makers did not offered that - they either did not master that process that well, or evaluated it as too expensive step).

No more selfballasted c***

Ugly1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 3 way incandscent bulbs « Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 03:45:02 PM » Author: Ugly1
No, but a New York City sanitation worker was killed when a container of hydrofluoric acid hidden with regular garbage burst as he was placing it in the truck. No one was ever caught for the crime.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: 3 way incandscent bulbs « Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 09:12:16 PM » Author: Lumex120
No, but a New York City sanitation worker was killed when a container of hydrofluoric acid hidden with regular garbage burst as he was placing it in the truck. No one was ever caught for the crime.
That's horrible. When did this happen?

Unofficial LG Discord

Ugly1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 3 way incandscent bulbs « Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 11:12:33 AM » Author: Ugly1
On  line article:” Hydrofuoric acid causes death of Sanitation Worker” Fire Engineering Magazine.
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: 3 way incandscent bulbs « Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 06:53:40 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
Ever heard of  person being eaten by a light bulb?
Yes I have (read the comments):
https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastcom&cat=0&pos=2&pid=164279

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies