Author Topic: Troffer swapper?  (Read 2245 times)
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Troffer swapper? « on: September 02, 2019, 10:55:47 AM » Author: Fluorescent05
In a game called Minecraft, there are these redstone (basically Minecraft electricity) block swappers that swap a piece of glowstone (a glowing block) for a normal ceiling block so that the lights blend in. Back in January, when I was sitting for a high school test (at a building that had a lot of old lights) and had finished with extra time, I was thinking about Minecraft redstone. I saw a troffer on the ceiling and that is how I got the idea to swap troffers out for ceiling tiles with an in-ceiling mechanism. I already have an idea for the mechanism and electric parts that would operate it. The thing would even be able to swap a 4xF40T12 troffer out for an LED panel when the government workers come in. ;D

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

Edmund Ironside

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Troffer swapper? « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 01:43:06 PM » Author: Edmund Ironside
You mean like this?

https://integral-led.com/how-to-choose-your-led-panel

Made in Sweden

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Troffer swapper? « Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 01:47:04 PM » Author: Ash
I think you could as well build a Narnia door bookcase or fireplace that will keep everyone uninvited out once and for all
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Troffer swapper? « Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 06:26:42 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
You mean like this?

https://integral-led.com/how-to-choose-your-led-panel
No there would be a mechanism in the ceiling that would swap between 2 drop ceiling compatible items. Mostly, it would be used to hide the troffer and swap it for a ceiling tile when the switch is turned off, and put the troffer back in when the light switch is turned back on.

Edmund Ironside

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Troffer swapper? « Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 12:44:14 PM » Author: Edmund Ironside
I guess it could be made, it would probably have to use some kind of complex mechanical machanism, making it expensive and maybe even unreliable (exspecially if you want to make it cheap enough for people to buy it). I think the best option would be a LED panel with RGB LED's that can change to the same color as the roof at a low light level.

Made in Sweden

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Troffer swapper? « Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 01:07:42 PM » Author: Ash
I think something like this is not going to be used by mainstream people - because they dont see the need to swap out the light source under any conditions

For one who really wants such device for the feature - So it's us, and perhaps some architects for very few high end architectural projects - costs (up to some extent) and maintenance overhead won't be much of a stopping factor. But so is the case for more complicated building features
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Troffer swapper? « Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 02:21:45 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
I think something like this is not going to be used by mainstream people - because they dont see the need to swap out the light source under any conditions

For one who really wants such device for the feature - So it's us, and perhaps some architects for very few high end architectural projects - costs (up to some extent) and maintenance overhead won't be much of a stopping factor. But so is the case for more complicated building features
I would build it myself. I already have a mechanism in mind and the schematic for the circuit.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Troffer swapper? « Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 06:18:02 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I honestly don't see the point in it...
If its your own building, just use whatever lights you like (or wish to pay the power bill for).
If its someone else's building, and they wish to do LED, then so be it.

-------------
If you really wanted some oddball light-changer thing, it'd also be a whole lot easier/cheaper to have a troffer with both LED & Fluorescent in it (and if you wanted to hide the fluorescents, some sort of little door/flap that could open/close over them)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Troffer swapper? « Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 03:23:55 PM » Author: Ash
I dont think it is for hiding FLs' from the EPA (allthough we might get there someday). I think it is more of a feature for the sake of feature. Meant to be creative, not easier or cheaper

I would very much like to see this evolve to some adventure story book stuff like Narnia bookcases and fireplaces, ofc not underestimating any troffer changer
Edmund Ironside

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Troffer swapper? « Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 01:50:09 AM » Author: Edmund Ironside
There is the solution, put the tubes behind it!  ;D

Made in Sweden

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies