Author Topic: is it theoretically possible to make a self ballasted SOX lamp?  (Read 182 times)
HomeBrewLamps

View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226
is it theoretically possible to make a self ballasted SOX lamp? « on: September 03, 2019, 12:07:44 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I'd assume if you were to proportion the size of the inner tube just right and add a quarts halogen lamp and an internal ignitor it'd be possible to manufacture a self ballasted SOX?

Thoughts? Technical explainations very much welcomed.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 12:09:27 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

Mercury Vapor LampHigh Pressure Sodium Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps Cool High Pressure SodiumMercury Vapor Lamp

AngryHorse

View Gallery

Rich

Re: is it theoretically possible to make a self ballasted SOX lamp? « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 12:26:06 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Apparently it was tried by Philips using CFL electronic ballast technology, but never went into production?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy Cheesy

HomeBrewLamps

View Gallery

Re: is it theoretically possible to make a self ballasted SOX lamp? « Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 01:46:45 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I'm thinking more along the lines of the same principle used in self ballasted mercury lamps... However that is neat that they attempted it with a cfl type ballast.

~Owen

Mercury Vapor LampHigh Pressure Sodium Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps Cool High Pressure SodiumMercury Vapor Lamp

Medved

View Gallery

Re: is it theoretically possible to make a self ballasted SOX lamp? « Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 03:26:21 PM » Author: Medved
Normally the SOX need higher OCV than a resistor could provide, so would need very low arc voltage, so very low ballast efficiency. Plus with all the losses there would be no reason to go for such expensive lamp, when other light sources with comparable efficacy offered way better color.

No more selfballasted c***

yuandrew

View Gallery

Re: is it theoretically possible to make a self ballasted SOX lamp? « Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 01:00:05 AM » Author: yuandrew
I tried to make a "compact low pressure sodium lamp" (mine was more along the lines of a PL adapter) using a spent CFL for the ballast with a bayonet socket in place of the tubes and an 18 watt lamp. Whole thing was as long as a 35 watt LPS and the "lamp" section stuck out the bottom of the fixture I tried it in.
HomeBrewLamps

View Gallery

Re: is it theoretically possible to make a self ballasted SOX lamp? « Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 11:08:25 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
That's pretty cool. How well did the CFL ballast drive the lamp?

~Owen

Lightingguy1994

View Gallery

Re: is it theoretically possible to make a self ballasted SOX lamp? « Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 08:50:32 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I would love to do stuff like that and actually make samples if I have the equipment and supplies for it. That SOX adaptor looks neat, I would continue looking into that more. I'd see about taking out the ballast from the base and try to make it more compact with the lamp
Medved

View Gallery

Re: is it theoretically possible to make a self ballasted SOX lamp? « Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 11:10:00 PM » Author: Medved
I would love to do stuff like that and actually make samples if I have the equipment and supplies for it. That SOX adaptor looks neat, I would continue looking into that more. I'd see about taking out the ballast from the base and try to make it more compact with the lamp

With SOX thar would be a problem: You need to not obstruct the light out, the discharge tube needs to be in thermally insulating vacuum, but the electronics needs good cooling. With all that limitations you dont have much other possibilities than cram the ballast into the base...

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2019 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines