Author Topic: Anyone know a way to get end caps off fluorescent tubes and bases off bulbs?  (Read 2086 times)
Mr. Orthosilicate

View Posts
View Gallery

Anyone know a way to get end caps off fluorescent tubes and bases off bulbs? « on: September 20, 2019, 09:42:32 PM » Author: Mr. Orthosilicate
I’ve been trying to figure out a way to save the bases from dead incandescent bulbs so I can use them in making experimental bulbs in the future. The problem is that I can’t do so without breaking the bulb. Does anyone know a way to cause the cement to break down?

Also, more importantly, does anyone know how to get the caps off of fluorescent tubes? I’ve been wanting to make a fake brass ender.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone know a way to get end caps off fluorescent tubes and bases off bulbs « Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 10:24:09 PM » Author: funkybulb
 Yes I have Decapoed fluorescent  tubes esp the EOL
westinghouse is the easiest to decap and reuse
just twist end cap as glue will break.  

now decaping a fluorescent tube such as sylvania and philips.  I just use a razor blade to cut though and pry bit
on the end cap and use your pliers to peel it like a can opener. the pops free.  be sure to clip ends of brass pins
off as u want as much lamp lead as u can.  I have converted 6 foot slimeline to bi pin by reusing westy end cap and I just hot glue them on as i want to reuse the end cap in the future.  that tube is working on half dead
F40 2 lamp rapid start ballast. the yellow lead fails to heat the cathodes.  the lamp conversion from slimeline to bi pin was to extend life of such rare 6 foot F72W to rapid start.  If u look in my photo album. a BC capped Philips alto and there also a 6 foot sylvania lifeline slimeline to bi pin.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 10:29:33 PM by funkybulb » Logged

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Danny

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone know a way to get end caps off fluorescent tubes and bases off bulbs? « Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 01:04:10 PM » Author: Danny
I usually do this to solder pin tubes. I will usually break the tube then cut the remains of the glass and cement out of the cap and then unsolder the wires left in and they then fit nicely onto a replacement tube.

Gec osram tubes UK made are the best for this as they suffer with cap cement breakdown over time and they come loose. Sometimes with them you only need to unsolder the pins and the caps lift off . Saves the hassel of breaking the tube.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Anyone know a way to get end caps off fluorescent tubes and bases off bulbs? « Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 11:58:43 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
You could try using a *Dremel tool to cut the glass carefully.  :-\

Or just have fun with Mr Smashy :D

*Other rotary tools are available

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies