Author Topic: Bugs  (Read 3849 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Bugs « on: September 22, 2019, 06:50:53 PM » Author: Cole D.
Is anyone have fear of certain insects?

I am afraid of wasps. Some of them can be quite aggressive and painful stings. The nests scare me, so I usually spray them with a spray that shoots several feet.

Otherwise, I don't like scorpions, they look quite scary with the large stinger. Fortunately, I don't see them around, though I hear, that they like to live around pine trees and woods.

The large spiders I do not like either. I do like the cute small green or brown ones. Poisonous spider I don't like around. In some countries the spiders can be several inches in diameter, although here most are fairly small.

A lot of spiders shown up close look quite cute however.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Bugs « Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 07:39:56 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Not afraid of bugs. I've held bees before. And a wolf spider. Key is to not flail around like a tube guy in front of a car dealership.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Bugs « Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 08:13:13 PM » Author: FGS
Tube guy?? lol

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Bugs « Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 09:34:06 PM » Author: Cole D.
s
The black widow and brown recluse are small and they can cause you severe problems and sometimes death. Look it up.

I'm afraid of those kinds of spiders.

Sometimes in the summer we get the wasps coming in the house, and I usually take the hose of the vacuum cleaner, and suck them up. I'd do same if there were spiders in the house, although I never see any. But I have heard black widow and brown recluse live in houses sometimes.

Here, we have the lizards that are often seen in houses, but they don't cause harm. The common are the brown anole and green anole. But the Brown Anole is more common. Also the grey gecko.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Bugs « Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 10:33:19 PM » Author: Cole D.
One time, we went to the 4H camp here for a party one fall. And there were wooden benches that my friends and I were sitting on outside, but someone had said we'd better move because they saw spiders under them. I was there for probably another hour or so after and then we came home and I took a shower and went to bed. But the next morning I woke up and there was a daddy long legged spider on the floor in my room!! I realized one of those spiders must have been on my pants the whole time until I got home and changed, but I have no idea how I didn't realize it. Scary, plus they are venomous spiders.  :o
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 10:35:56 PM by Cole D. » Logged

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bugs « Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 11:39:35 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000

Wavy Winston !!!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Bugs « Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 12:31:44 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
I hate wasps. If I find a nest around the house/yard, I'll spray it with that stuff that shoots out a pretty good distance.
Once I'm sure the adults are dead, a couple days later I'll knock down the nest and BURN IT!

I also dislike spiders, but will only kill them if they get in the house.

And ants, those too ALL need to die

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Bugs « Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 05:39:30 PM » Author: CEB1993
I have an irrational fear of most stinging insects. Wasps and hornets freak me out, although I do understand they have an important role in the ecosystem.

My dad was stung by a wasp a few weeks ago and the swelling and itching lasted for about a week. There is a wasp nest in the eave of my house that is inaccessible from outside. I discovered a second small, abandoned wasp nest in a hanging porch light a few days ago when changing some light bulbs. It was about the size of a ping pong ball, so I knocked it down with my screwdriver. Last year, I found a dead European hornet in my house on the bedroom floor.  That does not make me happy knowing there’s a nest of those dangerous, bad tempered insects nearby. European hornets are actually the only true hornet species living in the USA. They are invasive species from Germany that live in most of the eastern USA and southeast Canada today. Don’t even get me started on Asian giant hornets, those are horrifying  :o
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 05:41:48 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Bugs « Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 10:03:49 PM » Author: CEB1993
The giant red wasps we have sting you repeatedly and chase you around the yard if you try and kill them. When you really step on them hard, they make a "pop" sound as their shell breaks. They too are on the outside eaves and they get under the metal roofing and build a nest right under it.

I've never seen a red wasp, though I have seen nests made out of dried mud by potter wasps.  I've also seen evidence of carpenter bees.  They dig holes in the wooden rails of the porch to make themselves a nest and leave behind a small pile of saw dust.

I have a lot of praying mantises in my yard.  Here's a picture of a green praying mantis that clung onto the hood of my car  :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 10:07:03 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Bugs « Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 10:11:08 PM » Author: Cole D.
I haven't see the red wasps, but I have seen something similar, to the carpenter bee. They bore holes in wood and are a large black wasp, but they don't seem to be aggressive. They do, however, have an armor like shell and are all black in color. It's been a few years since I had seen them.

Also a hornet nest was in a tree in a neighbor's yard. It was built in a big clump of Spanish moss, so wasn't visible. When the nest got unknowingly knocked down, the hornets started making a loud buzzing noise and started swarming, when two people got stung by them.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bugs « Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 12:53:32 AM » Author: tolivac
Have carpenter bees in my area-you can get traps for them.Also there are small,fast birds that eat them while on the fly!Twice have seen this-both times the bird barely missed me.2nd time the bee was infront of the entrance door to my house bird tried to catch the bee-he got it-then slammed into the wall!!!His last meal-when the bird hit he dropped like a rag doll-figure his neck was broken from the impact.Put the body out for the neighbors cats to eat-they are something ate the bird-gone by the next day!ALL of it!no feathers left.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Bugs « Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 12:03:13 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: CEB1993
I have a lot of praying mantises in my yard.
Nice. Always thought those were neat looking bugs. Don't see them very often here.
I also find it interesting that at some point in the fall they turn from green to brown!

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bugs « Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 11:03:49 AM » Author: takemorepills
I used to live in Arizona. Lots of bugs that want to hurt you (though, not like Florida, which is even worse I hear)

-killer bees
-black widows
-fire ants
-red ants

Then there's the prolific roaches.

I now live in western WA. We have lots of bees at our house, and you can actually hold them in your hand. They are docile and tolerate being handled.

The ants will crawl over you, but never bite.

I never see roaches any more.

And I still want to move back to AZ!
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Bugs « Reply #13 on: September 26, 2019, 06:50:38 PM » Author: CEB1993
I'm used to seeing bugs in and near my house every day.  At the beach, there are "palmetto bugs" which are large roaches native to the coast of South Carolina.  They like warm, damp living conditions and show up on the bathroom floor in the beach condo.  Good thing the toilet is right there for a quick solution to those pests   ;D

Further inland we have several dangerous bugs: Fire ants, brown recluse spiders, wasps, yellow jackets, hornets and ticks.  The mosquito population in my area has exploded throughout the past few weeks, probably due to the unusually warm weather.  I usually have at least one mosquito bite on my body at any given time during the summers here. 

Stop the lamp bans!

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Bugs « Reply #14 on: September 26, 2019, 11:09:13 PM » Author: Lumex120

I now live in western WA. We have lots of bees at our house, and you can actually hold them in your hand. They are docile and tolerate being handled.

What kind of bees exactly? Just bumble bees or honey bees?

Unofficial LG Discord

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies