Author Topic: Yellowing of acrylic refractors.  (Read 2512 times)
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Yellowing of acrylic refractors. « on: September 27, 2019, 10:47:27 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
So I've heard alot about acrylic not yellowing. But the security light fixture I just pulled down (powerlight I believe) has an acrylic refractor and it has slight yellowing.... I assume a polycarbonate refractor of this age woulda been literal dust!

I heard of methods of removing yellowing such as soaking plastics in hydrogen peroxide or creams containing it. Is this possible on an acrylic refractor to restore it to its former beauty or will it yellow back up after a few months?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

A2ZAlarms

View Posts
View Gallery

UCn-UWLJRLZh8NA46vkc1jSQ A2Z Alarms
Re: Yellowing of acrylic refractors. « Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 08:49:12 AM » Author: A2ZAlarms
So I've heard alot about acrylic not yellowing. But the security light fixture I just pulled down (powerlight I believe) has an acrylic refractor and it has slight yellowing.... I assume a polycarbonate refractor of this age woulda been literal dust!

I heard of methods of removing yellowing such as soaking plastics in hydrogen peroxide or creams containing it. Is this possible on an acrylic refractor to restore it to its former beauty or will it yellow back up after a few months?
I believe you could use the method used by mechanics to fix yellowed headlights. it may be worth a try even though headlights are most likely a different type of plastic

https://e3sparkplugs.com/blog/yellowed-headlights-three-ways-shine-em/

I don't dislike High quality led lamps, but vintage usually wins.

A2ZAlarms

View Posts
View Gallery

UCn-UWLJRLZh8NA46vkc1jSQ A2Z Alarms
Re: Yellowing of acrylic refractors. « Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 11:08:43 AM » Author: A2ZAlarms
Will not work. The yellowing is internal as well.

oh ok. didn't think about that. makes sense though.

I don't dislike High quality led lamps, but vintage usually wins.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Yellowing of acrylic refractors. « Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 05:18:52 PM » Author: Ash
I think they are simply not pure PMMA, but have some additives for whatever reasons..

The yellowing is a sort of corrosion as far as i know, it needs the UV and oxygen from the air. So i cant see how it would happen deep inside the material, unless there are micro cracks...

I had faced one other problem with PMMA. The other day i saved a big stock of Italian posttops from the 90s, basically some assembly with vertical Merc lamp and a huge PMMA cube that inserts over it. They appear a little milky but the problem with them is they are brittle beyond any reason. You pick them up a little roughly and they just crush and crumble. Two cubes look a little different from the others (slightly less rounded, definitely different batch) and they are good as new, not milky at all and appear as strong as should be
LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Fred Dirst is watching you

UCp-ouYxSgmqTWUY4RGWyAFg rollaman82
Re: Yellowing of acrylic refractors. « Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 05:54:43 PM » Author: LightsDelight
I use Autosol (any good metal polish) to clean up my bowls, if that doesn't work then you're kind stuffed maybe try and use the retr0brite (hydrogen peroxide). results may vary.

I was cleaning up the bowl for my Raymond SL65 it made the bowl nice and smooth but didn't remove much of the yellowing, it wasn't that bad, I was happy with the results. you can use Brasso because that is the only thing it is good for.

Keep discharge lighting alive

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Yellowing of acrylic refractors. « Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 07:33:18 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I use Autosol (any good metal polish) to clean up my bowls, if that doesn't work then you're kind stuffed maybe try and use the retr0brite (hydrogen peroxide). results may vary.

I was cleaning up the bowl for my Raymond SL65 it made the bowl nice and smooth but didn't remove much of the yellowing, it wasn't that bad, I was happy with the results. you can use Brasso because that is the only thing it is good for.

I've used Brasso to quite good effect on the casting of our Beta 5 lantern, that I'm going to be converting into a table lamp.
Autosol might be a better option, as I can use my Dremel rotary tool.  :)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Yellowing of acrylic refractors. « Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 07:53:09 AM » Author: Beta 5

I've used Autosol several of my yellowed lanterns too. As you said it makes the plastic nice and smooth/shiny but the yellow colour is still there, which is ok with a sodium lamp as the light is orange anyway but with a mercury or fluorescent lamp it affects the light colour.

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Yellowing of acrylic refractors. « Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 10:31:39 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Ive been able to reduce yellow on some old wall pack policarb covers by scrubbing the cover real good with baking soda and isopropyl alcohol which turns the paste yellow. It reduces the yellow because it takes of a coating that has built up. It doesn't remove all the yellow because there is yellow inside the plastic also.

After the baking soda and alcohol scrub, I wash it off and let dry. Then I wipe on a really thin helping of mineral oil on the plastic with a soft cloth just to polish it up. Needs to be so thin so it isn't greasy and only on the outside, not sure if the heat from a lamp will affect it so I didn't coat the inside part.

Please keep in mind that thats what I've done and it likely isn't 100% and it may not last but its something. Scrubbing with baking soda may cause abrasions or take off the shiny look. It didnt in my case but try at your own risk
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 10:33:21 PM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged

Administrator #5

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Yellowing of acrylic refractors. « Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 12:58:28 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
We'll have to try that ourselves, I have ordered a 2.5kg tub of Bicarbonate of soda and we've got a 500ml bottle of isopropyl.

So we're all set for a cleaning spree.  :)

We do need to get the mineral oil though.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 01:56:59 PM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Yellowing of acrylic refractors. « Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 05:55:10 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
It helps to get a good sponge as well. The kind with the abrasive backs are what I used, but i didnt use the abrasive back part, just the normal sponge side. Used that because they are easier to hold and apply pressure if needed versus a wimpy standard sponge.  To get into the little nooks and crannies of the cover I used an old tooth brush with a bend back brush head.

I forgot to add that after I was done with the soda scrub I rinsed off using some dish soap and used a clean sponge and the toothbrush after cleaning it off.

Hopefully this helps you and best of luck it may not be for everyone

Administrator #5

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Yellowing of acrylic refractors. « Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 05:57:42 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
@ Lightingguy:

Thanks for the advice.  :)

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies