Author Topic: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb  (Read 12681 times)
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #15 on: October 04, 2019, 02:51:21 PM » Author: Ash
In this case it does not have anything to do with the LED light source

I state that i dont see in my uses of lighting a use for a "smart" lamp, same as "smart" other types of appliances, in the everyday common user's definition of "smart"

And in a wider sense, i think that "smart" appliances don't contribute to our well being, and that making the world turn around smartphones and their apps is a very poor direction of "progress"

As for this lamp I don't see it as a device with exceptional personalization or automation capabilities either :

Ability to change the color of the lamp is indeed a setting feature most lamps don't have. But presenting it as a thing of "turning non personalizable light setup into personalizable" is very much overstatement, since i have always been able to personalize my light setup by changing the luminaire and lamp to many different types of luminaires and lamps, which already is much greater personalization scope than control over the lamp color

Using a manual remote (handheld or app) to control the lamp is not automation. The lamp changing its output on its own is automation, yet this is not what this lamp is intended for anyway
Edmund Ironside

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #16 on: October 04, 2019, 03:33:56 PM » Author: Edmund Ironside
I guess i was pretty rash and harsh in my wording. I love old lighting tech as much as you guys, it just seems that a lot of newer tech get a lot of hate on this forum. Many times non deserving. There is a lot of mob mentality here, but so is there anywhere today. We just have to accept that our common interest is undergoing massive change in the real world and that lighting in general will never be the same as it once was.

I personally do not use any smart light products, i prefer classic lightning tech. Luxo two tube flourscent desk lamp, 100W incandescent i my kitchen lamp, switch start PL's in my bathroom etc, this is the lighting tech that is good for me.

I guess i am just a little overworked and cranky today. 
Sorry! ::)

Made in Sweden

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #17 on: October 04, 2019, 04:23:24 PM » Author: Rommie
I guess i am just a little overworked and cranky today. 
Sorry! ::)

That's ok, we all get cranky sometimes, and perhaps a little passionate  :-*

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #18 on: October 04, 2019, 05:09:29 PM » Author: takemorepills
We prefer to do it the old school way, and light a lamp of each type.  8) :D

My GE gumball is in my 80 square foot office. I'm not running authentic bulbs in such a small room, it would get hot.

I can simulate an old lamp with my LIFX, and even program a start-up and warm-up sequence to make the LIXF look just like a starting HID.

More lamps for the purists to collect if I'm not burning through 'em
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #19 on: October 04, 2019, 07:46:51 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I'd love to get my hands on one of these just to play around with. But at the end of the day I'm still gonna stock up on the old stuff and use that primarily.

If I like these enough I might put them in service in a place like living rooms and dining rooms. Places where it's hard to get away with HPS, MV or the slow start up times of both. But my house in the future will definitly be unique from most. Since I have no issue with low cri lighting or massively out of place lights expect hallways lit with mercury or sodium and porches lit with something rediculous like a shoplight or bucket light lol. My sense of decoration is a mix of old timey, organized chaos and old lights.
 There is a reason I'm trying to stock up low wattage lamps lmao.

They should make these in candelabra base. Chandeliers are one application where I dislike incandescent. Not because it looks bad. I love incandescent lamps. But I'd rather not have to replace the (...) Chinese bulbs every year. And I don't really feel like stocking up on vintage candle lamps.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 07:52:50 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #20 on: October 05, 2019, 12:43:35 AM » Author: joseph_125
I'm thinking of getting one of those Lifx bulbs for my gumball when they go on sale again. I currently burn either a 50w MV, a 23w LED or a 39w CMH in that gumball. The room the gumball is in is around 120 square feet so higher power lamps generate too much heat for my liking. I still collect and light the old stuff but for lights that I use daily I tend to use more modern tech since it's also easier to find.

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 10:42:50 PM » Author: 589
I’m not a fan of those talking tubes either, but WiFi bulbs are interesting for sure.

:lps:

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #22 on: October 22, 2019, 01:41:21 PM » Author: Ash
They should make these in candelabra base. Chandeliers are one application where I dislike incandescent. Not because it looks bad. I love incandescent lamps. But I'd rather not have to replace the (...) Chinese bulbs every year. And I don't really feel like stocking up on vintage candle lamps.
Dimmers do magic, on stage and at home

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #23 on: October 22, 2019, 10:52:16 PM » Author: Lumex120

I saw some Philips Hue flame shaped bulbs at Home Depot a while back... not sure if they still make them.

Unofficial LG Discord

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #24 on: October 26, 2019, 07:58:14 AM » Author: FGS
In this case it does not have anything to do with the LED light source

I state that i dont see in my uses of lighting a use for a "smart" lamp, same as "smart" other types of appliances, in the everyday common user's definition of "smart"

And in a wider sense, i think that "smart" appliances don't contribute to our well being, and that making the world turn around smartphones and their apps is a very poor direction of "progress"

As for this lamp I don't see it as a device with exceptional personalization or automation capabilities either :

Ability to change the color of the lamp is indeed a setting feature most lamps don't have. But presenting it as a thing of "turning non personalizable light setup into personalizable" is very much overstatement, since i have always been able to personalize my light setup by changing the luminaire and lamp to many different types of luminaires and lamps, which already is much greater personalization scope than control over the lamp color

Using a manual remote (handheld or app) to control the lamp is not automation. The lamp changing its output on its own is automation, yet this is not what this lamp is intended for anyway

The color change thing by your phone is a great improvement. Imagine dozens of R30s in 10+’ ceiling. You’d drag out tall ladders to change colors if they were the “dumb” bulbs. With the Hue or the Lifx (sp) the color change is a tap away on your phone. You can set it to change colors depend on time of day. Warmer at night to reduce the so called blue light hazard thing.

Automation with these bulbs do happen. You can set them to come on at specific times so the house looks lived in whilst you’re on vacation. There’s a “TV mimic” feature for the Hue to make the room seems like someone’s watching TV by anyone outside the house. 7w bulb vs 100+w TV.

My friend has a bunch of those Hue bulbs and I wasn’t that sold on them until he started showing vids of his bulbs doing cool things. You guys have no idea what these things can do. Halloween lights? You got it. Christmas lights? Yeppers. Flickering fireplace? There you have it. Starship red alert for the nerds? It’s there. The list is huge.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #25 on: October 26, 2019, 11:51:27 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
The color change thing by your phone is a great improvement. Imagine dozens of R30s in 10+’ ceiling. You’d drag out tall ladders to change colors if they were the “dumb” bulbs. With the Hue or the Lifx (sp) the color change is a tap away on your phone. You can set it to change colors depend on time of day. Warmer at night to reduce the so called blue light hazard thing.

Automation with these bulbs do happen. You can set them to come on at specific times so the house looks lived in whilst you’re on vacation. There’s a “TV mimic” feature for the Hue to make the room seems like someone’s watching TV by anyone outside the house. 7w bulb vs 100+w TV.

My friend has a bunch of those Hue bulbs and I wasn’t that sold on them until he started showing vids of his bulbs doing cool things. You guys have no idea what these things can do. Halloween lights? You got it. Christmas lights? Yeppers. Flickering fireplace? There you have it. Starship red alert for the nerds? It’s there. The list is huge.

The smart bulbs. They're gonna take over your brain man. Turn you into a government drone to spread faux capitalizt propaganda. They're sending codes in  the light man!!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 11:53:00 AM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #26 on: October 26, 2019, 12:08:58 PM » Author: Rommie

Each to their own. If that's what floats your boat as they say, fine. For my part, I'd just as soon switch on a good old incandescent, thanks all the same  8) :inc:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #27 on: October 27, 2019, 01:31:27 PM » Author: FGS
The smart bulbs. They're gonna take over your brain man. Turn you into a government drone to spread faux capitalizt propaganda. They're sending codes in  the light man!!

I do hope you’re joking around but do tell us how do that work in case you were serious about “they’re” controlling our brains with lights?

Each to their own. If that's what floats your boat as they say, fine. For my part, I'd just as soon switch on a good old incandescent, thanks all the same  8) :inc:

You can still use the old switches to turn them on and off if you desire. I’m not sure whether they’d memorized the last color settings or they’d default to warm white. I’ll have to check it out later. Though changing bulbs to a different color temp all the time can be a hassle and usually leads to them breaking or whatever. High electric bill is worse though. But if changing bulbs physically and paying high electric bill floats your boat. Have at it.

Btw I do love the classic lights but not the high energy use making the electric bill go into the stratosphere. My money better spent on more useful/fun things than the electric company. :inc:

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #28 on: October 27, 2019, 01:39:32 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I do hope you’re joking around but do tell us how do that work in case you were serious about “they’re” controlling our brains with lights?

You can still use the old switches to turn them on and off if you desire. I’m not sure whether they’d memorized the last color settings or they’d default to warm white. I’ll have to check it out later. Though changing bulbs to a different color temp all the time can be a hassle and usually leads to them breaking or whatever. High electric bill is worse though. But if changing bulbs physically and paying high electric bill floats your boat. Have at it.

Btw I do love the classic lights but not the high energy use making the electric bill go into the stratosphere. My money better spent on more useful/fun things than the electric company. :inc:

Was joke.

~Owen

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #29 on: October 27, 2019, 01:46:12 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl

We've found an incandescent lamp with a colour temperature of 2800K, that we're happy with.  :)  :inc:

As to the saving money it's not that much more really, working out at just over £18 per year.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies