Author Topic: Why useless websites?  (Read 5514 times)
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Why useless websites? « Reply #15 on: November 04, 2019, 12:16:50 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: HomeBrewLamps
On an unrelated note. I believe this topic should be moved into the off topic section. Same with the topic about photo hosting sites.
I kinda agree, that would be a good place for it.
And thinking of off-topic...I'm considering del'ing my to posts in it since they went pretty far off-topic .lol.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

A2ZAlarms

View Posts
View Gallery

UCn-UWLJRLZh8NA46vkc1jSQ A2Z Alarms
Re: Why useless websites? « Reply #16 on: November 05, 2019, 09:04:13 PM » Author: A2ZAlarms
I hate those sites, they are just a scam for people to make money off of advertisements

I don't dislike High quality led lamps, but vintage usually wins.

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: Why useless websites? « Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 01:00:31 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Another thing I can't stand is when electrical suppliers use old photos (of older devices) and then try to sell you the newer "equivalent" of the older device. Sometimes, this can be quite annoying because the older switch could be something rare (like a 3 way snap switch) but once you click the link, you are greeted by a modern piece of crap (like a junky 3 way residential grade switch).

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Why useless websites? « Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 02:07:48 PM » Author: Rommie
Another thing I can't stand is when electrical suppliers use old photos (of older devices) and then try to sell you the newer "equivalent" of the older device. Sometimes, this can be quite annoying because the older switch could be something rare (like a 3 way snap switch) but once you click the link, you are greeted by a modern piece of crap (like a junky 3 way residential grade switch).
The other annoying thing, especially on eBay, is where you limit your search to your home country (here, the UK) and you get countless listings from sellers who are based in China. You complain and they say "oh but the stock is in the UK" which isn't what I wanted to search for. I want to support UK sellers not Chinese ones, thanks all the same  >:(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why useless websites? « Reply #19 on: November 07, 2019, 03:08:47 PM » Author: sol
The other annoying thing, especially on eBay, is where you limit your search to your home country (here, the UK) and you get countless listings from sellers who are based in China. You complain and they say "oh but the stock is in the UK" which isn't what I wanted to search for. I want to support UK sellers not Chinese ones, thanks all the same  >:(

Or eBay sellers who use a generic image with sparse details, even in the description.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Why useless websites? « Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 07:41:34 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: sol
Or eBay sellers who use a generic image with sparse details, even in the description. 
Those are easy...
If a eBay user can't be bothered to take decent pictures, and/or make a reasonable description, then I can't be bothered to bid-on or buy-now their item. .lol.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Why useless websites? « Reply #21 on: November 11, 2019, 12:38:13 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
This has been moved from General Lighting Discussions to Off Topic.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Why useless websites? « Reply #22 on: December 13, 2020, 09:37:51 AM » Author: Binarix128
For avoid all that sheety trackers I use duckduckgo and Vivaldi browser, which I configured to keep the cookies and the history only in that session, so when I open the browser again all cookies should be gone. It is based in Chromium, so it supports chrome extensions and avoid Google sabotage if it detects you are using another browser. It seems to work and Google seems to not be aware of what I search or visit there for pop out in my ads. Also I configured some things in my phone about the activity log of Google and the backups, also I deactivated the customized ads, all that should help something but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't.

Despite I use duckduckgo which claims to collect no info of you it is a bit sus to me. I still prefer it because Google is 100% confirmed that is always with the eye on you inside their search engine and outside it with Google analytics, their browser, and their home assistants, so I prefer duck because it doesn't track you as far as I know. What appears sus to me is that how they didn't fall in the temptation of mining data, and how such company without mining can stand. Till nothing is really confirmed I'll keep with duck.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Why useless websites? « Reply #23 on: December 13, 2020, 02:22:35 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I block Google Analytics and a whole bunch of other crap at the network level. (plus tons of stuff adblocked in the browser)

For cookies, I selective allow - some sites (LG for example) are allowed to have normal cookies, others are allowed session only, and the majority none at all.

My browser of choice is PaleMoon, and then FireFox, and as a 3rd option IceDragon .. that last one has some pretty bad spyware - it attempts to send back info on EVERY website you visit .. that is ofcourse blocked at the network level.

I will not use Chrome or any of those 'home assistants' "open microphone/spy speakers" Don't currently have a cellphone, but when I get a new one, I'll be going in & disabling as much of the spy crap as possible. Might even try rooting it.

---
I really should start using DuckDuckGo for searches more often.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Why useless websites? « Reply #24 on: December 13, 2020, 02:31:00 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I avoid using Google products whenever possible, and when I do it's in a private window on Firefox, which is what I use as a browser, and I have been using it since the very beginning.
I always use DuckDuckGo as a search engine... Or as a friend calls it QuackQuackGone.  :lol:

As far as the mobile phone goes we have gone back to using the good old Nokia 6310i. It makes and receives calls and text messages, that's all we need.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 02:36:16 PM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies