Author Topic: Greened out MV bulbs....  (Read 7249 times)
lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Greened out MV bulbs.... « on: December 15, 2008, 07:51:44 PM » Author: lightman64
what happens after a MV bulb greens out? does it get dimmer?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 07:54:22 PM by lightman64 » Logged

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 07:55:16 PM » Author: Foxtronix
A mercury vapor lamp generally gets dimmer and dimmer until it can't light anything! There are also a few cases of violent failures (explosion) of just stop to work suddenly, but such cases are very rare.

Mr. Big
Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 07:56:28 PM » Author: Mr. Big
Your forgetting an MV lamp has a very small chance to explode, an MH, has a 99% chance of exploding!  ::)
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 07:58:05 PM » Author: Foxtronix
Rudy: That's what I said. Also we aren't talking about metal halide lamps..  :-\

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 07:58:26 PM » Author: lightman64
weird... the bulbs in my gym are MV and they just quit. (high bay lighting - installed in 1974 ; most fixtures have been converted to MH but some still MV) MH just quis too- not the ballast either
does anybody know whats going on??

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 08:05:59 PM » Author: Foxtronix
This is a system for shutting the lamp off at his end of life to prevent a eventual explosion. Also if lamp just quit there is 99.9% of chance that the high bay fixtures are MH since MV ones don't have a such system.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 08:07:44 PM by TiCoune66 » Logged

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 08:07:18 PM » Author: lightman64
so thats why....   thanks!

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 12:07:07 PM » Author: lightman64
it says that they are 750 watt MV bulbs on the breaker- but u probally are right

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 06:15:19 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
if they are 750 watt MVs, there is a chance they were self ballasts! So they probably broke filaments and had no continuity?

I have a lamp that is self ballasted and in 208 volts for usually gym lights. Here is a picture, this one is not mine but I have same one see here

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 10:18:31 AM » Author: lightman64
i checked and they aren't self ballast. they might not be 750 watt maybe less

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 11:14:05 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
perhaps 250 watt?  also they can just go out because commonly for MV, the starting probe would get conflicted with the bottom electrode OR no emitter on the probes....

one of the other common MV dying is sometimes they go on, sometimes they dont, while other days it will work....I see this often on streetlights, when some days it lights up and other days it doesn't...a good touch of the lamp will fire it up (static) or even better  I use a BBQ ignitor!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 11:16:00 AM by TudorWhiz » Logged

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 04:03:10 PM » Author: lightman64
well in another gym the fixtures are smaller but 400 watt. (MH though)

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 07:14:28 PM » Author: Foxtronix
About the "750W MV" breaker: maybe the electrician that serviced it had absolutely NO idea of the wattage and the lamp type, so he wrote this. Also if they really look like mercury it's possible that they're mercs that run on MH ballast.

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 07:31:59 PM » Author: lightman64
i think they are mercs that run on a MH ballast. the gym was built in 1974

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 01:11:29 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
they dont make mercs that run on MH ballast

do you mean ballasts that runs both MV and MH? If so they would be both same wattage......

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies