Author Topic: Greened out MV bulbs....  (Read 7007 times)
lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 01:15:12 PM » Author: lightman64
they dont make mercs that run on MH ballast

do you mean ballasts that runs both MV and MH? If so they would be both same wattage......

that might be what it is......

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

Mercury Man

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 03:43:46 PM » Author: Mercury Man
MVs can be run on an MH ballast if the wattage is correct, yes?  Also, I have seen MH bulbs get greened out early in life, this can happen supposedly due to too much MH salts in the arc tube.  I used to work in a store that had 20 watt MH floodlight fixtures and an entire batch of bulbs crapped out within 3 months because of this.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 04:50:02 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
MH lamps should NOT be run on MV ONLY ballasts....It will cause quicker blackening.....Jeremiah may have more information on this since he was showing me GE MH lamps that was used in MV low bay fixtures....

MV CAN be run on MH ballast if the wattage is the same.....but that is an exception on 100 watt or lower.....you can't do it on 100 watt or lower....only 175 watt and higher......

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 05:52:48 PM » Author: Medved
MH lamps should NOT be run on MV ONLY ballasts....It will cause quicker blackening.....Jeremiah may have more information on this since he was showing me GE MH lamps that was used in MV low bay fixtures....

MV CAN be run on MH ballast if the wattage is the same.....but that is an exception on 100 watt or lower.....you can't do it on 100 watt or lower....only 175 watt and higher......

And only in US.
In EU most MH's (at least in range 70..400W) are designed for SON ballasts of the same wattage rating, only higher voltage ignitor is recommended.

No more selfballasted c***

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 08:30:41 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
But it may have harder time starting up causing moe sputtering due to lower OCV in MV ballasts....that's why MH designed ballasts have higher OCV than older MV ballasts.....

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

bluelights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 05:49:17 PM » Author: bluelights
Strange, I just rarely see a "greened out" mercury bulb, it seems that they will burn with sky-blue color at the end of their lives here... Maybe this applies only to clear bulbs or just US ones? ;D

"The orange cloud looks like floating nuclear waste."
Save the mercury lamp

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 01:08:45 PM » Author: Medved
Strange, I just rarely see a "greened out" mercury bulb, it seems that they will burn with sky-blue color at the end of their lives here... Maybe this applies only to clear bulbs or just US ones? ;D

Lamps with older emitter composition "blacken" - metals get deposited to the quartz wall and this block both the UV and blue, so phosphor is not anymore excited, so do not generate the red, so the remaining light is yellow and green mercury lines. And those are attenuated as well, but not as much.
Newer composition causes deposit appearing white, what is still translucent to blue, but not anymore to UV. When UV disappear, the phosphor do not add the red component, so the color appearance gets bluish.

No more selfballasted c***

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 08:38:29 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
Bluish coloring.....sounds a lot like a /W type phosphor.....we  now use /DX we had /W which was one of my favorites!

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 12:13:15 AM » Author: don93s
I've seen /DX lamps turn greenish, but more rarely. Mainly, the horrible Philips MV lamps of the late 90's-early 2000's.
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 06:45:09 PM » Author: icefoglights
I've seen many clear Cooper/Regent 175 watt lamps turn green.  It's quite common around here.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Greened out MV bulbs.... « Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 07:50:51 AM » Author: Foxtronix
Mainly, the horrible Philips MV lamps of the late 90's-early 2000's.

Here Philips lamps are installed in the very few mercury streetlights that are still serviced, and one of them is badly greened out.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies