Author Topic: Turn signal sounds  (Read 5748 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Turn signal sounds « on: November 03, 2019, 09:48:15 PM » Author: Cole D.
Does anyone like the sounds turn signals make? I did, when I was a kid. I liked the clicking sound and also was fascinated by the green flashing arrows, probably since green was my favorite color. I especially like the metallic clicking that cars used to make with the relays. I also like some newer turn signal sounds with the computerized noises. Like the Chevy Silverado a friend has and also on my Taurus, it sounds like "boop bloop boop bloop".

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 12:25:13 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
I hate it.  Very annoying. I dampen the sound by wrapping rubber bands around the module.  Much better. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 03:07:39 AM » Author: Medved
The worst form of this sound I've met in the large trucks and buses (using 24V installation): Instead of the traditional clicking, it was beeping, very annoying when you have to work there whole shift within heavy city traffic (= almost constant need to signal).

In modern passenger cars the sound is generated electronically, but (at least the European) market converged to mimic the traditional clicking sound.

It is interesting, even with the traditional electromechanical flasher, the sound did not come from the switching element itself, but used a dedicated "hammer", with its only purpose to generate the clicking sound...

No more selfballasted c***

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 07:00:35 AM » Author: sol
Mechanical relay clicking : yes. Artificial sound : depends.

My car (2004 Toyota Corolla) has a mechanical relay sound. My wife used to drive a 2007 Ford Focus. Very annoying clicking sound. She now drives a Honda Civic. The clicking sound is OK since I cannot remember how it sounds.

A beeping turn signal would in fact be very annoying.

Some older city buses around here had uneven clicking speed, for whatever reason. That is also annoying.

I believe school buses use motorized switching modules for the amber/red signals, so no clicking sound. Sometimes, when they are turned on, one side flashes briefly before the other side lights, as if the motor stopped mid-flash. I believe they make electronic ones now, but here there are still old ones in use.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 11:30:14 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
This isn't about turn signals, but rather reversing alarms:

I vividly remember the first time I heard 'This vehicle is reversing' instead of the usual beeping.

I was walking along the side of the lorry, and I was just in line with the speaker when this woman's voice yelled in my ear.!  :o

I just about leapt out of my skin.!!!  :D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 11:32:14 AM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 11:43:51 AM » Author: Rommie

I vividly remember the first time I heard 'This vehicle is reversing' instead of the usual beeping.

I was walking along the side of the lorry, and I was just in line with the speaker when this woman's voice yelled in my ear.!  :o

I just about leapt out of my skin.!!!
 :D
They're starting to use white noise generators instead of beeps or voice announcements here, so I've been told, although not come across one as yet.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 12:32:01 PM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 12:32:00 PM » Author: Medved

Although mechanically generated, all turn signals Ive seen manufactured since 40's used some artificial sound, the relay (the main switching element) itself was simply too quiet (it had to be designed with very limited impacts to reach some reasonable life, that yielded inherently quiet clicking). The solution was the use of a dedicated "clicking hammer". So that means the sound was technically artificial too.

Some older city buses around here had uneven clicking speed, for whatever reason. That is also annoying.

Some analog electronic flashers tend to switch over too soon by the electrical noise (generator voltage regulation, irregular idling yielding surges in generator speed, again yielding voltage fluctuations). So some sparking or voltage transients in the system and you have irregular flashing.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 12:38:45 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
@ sol:

If it's a sound made by a machine then by definition it's artificial.

If you have a little imp* sitting in the indicator making the noise then it's a natural sound...  :D

(*Discworld reference)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 12:49:37 PM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 03:20:15 PM » Author: Medved
@ sol:

If it's a sound made by a machine then by definition it's artificial.

If you have a little imp* sitting in the indicator making the noise then it's a natural sound...  :D

(*Discworld reference)

And then what if he runs out of pink... :-D

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 04:25:09 PM » Author: Rommie
And then what if he runs out of pink... :-D
Then we're all doomed and there will probably be a large explosion  :o ;D

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 09:07:05 PM » Author: AngryHorse

I just about leapt out of my skin.!!!  :D
Lol, our local bin wagon has a reversing sound like someone’s running over a seagull!  ;D, I find that quite annoying, but today’s modern car’s have far too much electronic garbage in them! Working in the car retail business I hear it daily, and cars make far too many bing and bong noises for my liking BMW are the worst by far, if you accidentally try and drive off with your door not quite closed, it takes it out of gear, lights the dashboard up like Christmas, and bongs you’re ears off until you rectify the situation!!!, A car should be what it is, ‘a machine to get you from A to B, not some computerised bing bong electronic box of tricks!, the auto industry has gone downhill since I started driving!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 09:09:32 PM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 12:04:31 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Mandolin Girl
I was walking along the side of the lorry, and I was just in line with the speaker when this woman's voice yelled in my ear.!  :o
I just about leapt out of my skin.!!!  :D
How obnoxious :o . I woulda jumped too in that position

-------------------

Quote from: AngryHorse
not some computerised bing bong electronic box
LMFAO . hillarious

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #12 on: December 07, 2019, 08:27:20 AM » Author: Rommie
Lol, our local bin wagon has a reversing sound like someone’s running over a seagull!  ;D, I find that quite annoying, but today’s modern car’s have far too much electronic garbage in them! Working in the car retail business I hear it daily, and cars make far too many bing and bong noises for my liking BMW are the worst by far, if you accidentally try and drive off with your door not quite closed, it takes it out of gear, lights the dashboard up like Christmas, and bongs you’re ears off until you rectify the situation!!!, A car should be what it is, ‘a machine to get you from A to B, not some computerised bing bong electronic box of tricks!, the auto industry has gone downhill since I started driving!
Some buses are like that. I remember once driving a friend's restored Leyland National down the motorway to a bus rally (fun at a top speed of 45-50mph..!) when someone pressed the door open button for the centre exit doors for a laugh. The bus promptly put itself into neutral and started slowing down rapidly, it wouldn't go back into gear (it was a semi-auto box) until they'd shut the doors again  :D

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #13 on: December 07, 2019, 08:48:26 AM » Author: dor123
They're starting to use white noise generators instead of beeps or voice announcements here, so I've been told, although not come across one as yet.
Never seen a truck with a white noise reverse sound. All trucks in Israel, still have the usual reverse beeps.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Turn signal sounds « Reply #14 on: December 07, 2019, 09:05:14 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Poor seagull...  :(

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies