Author Topic: I'm thinking of doing some hacking.  (Read 1061 times)
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
I'm thinking of doing some hacking. « on: November 06, 2019, 11:01:51 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
The powerlite fixture I have has been one of my primary focuses as of recently. I've been modernizing it with a restrike module and what not. I've ran into an over heating issue and am thinking of externally mounting the restrike module via its screw in point on the side of the fixture near the slip fitter area. I'm also thinking of drilling a few more holes for a pair of water proof toggle switches, fuse and indicator light. Thoughts?

One will be for disabling the ignitor and one for disabling the fixture. And I think a single indicator LED for power. And a fuse. All will have O-rings and will have some sort of sealant applied eventually.

I'm usually all for keeping stuff original. But this powerlite was originally built like crap in my opinion. It is an old school resi grade light at best. I feel like I'm improving upon it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 11:07:14 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I'm thinking of doing some hacking. « Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 05:04:33 PM » Author: Ash
Nope. Dont hack it like that

Make an external gear box and place in it all the extras (ideally everything that does not pass ignitor voltages through it, so exactly the switches and hot restrike module). Wire between the box and lantern with a multicore cable with as many cores as required for your circuit
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: I'm thinking of doing some hacking. « Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 05:30:33 PM » Author: Rommie
Nope. Dont hack it like that

Make an external gear box and place in it all the extras (ideally everything that does not pass ignitor voltages through it, so exactly the switches and hot restrike module). Wire between the box and lantern with a multicore cable with as many cores as required for your circuit
I'm thinking of doing something similar, but I want the connection between the lantern and the gear box on a plug and socket. For a simple 3-core cable (live, neutral and earth) that's not passing ignitor voltages, I'd probably use an IEC connector. But for something that needs 4 or more cores, what is a good (and safe) connector to use..?

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I'm thinking of doing some hacking. « Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 06:08:58 PM » Author: wattMaster
But for something that needs 4 or more cores, what is a good (and safe) connector to use..?
How about a locking NEMA plug? The contacts are far enough apart, and they're uncommon enough not have someone "reusing" it.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: I'm thinking of doing some hacking. « Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 06:10:20 PM » Author: Rommie
I thought of that, but they're not common over here and getting them shipped from the US wouldn't be cheap  :-\

Edit - found these which look like they'll do what I want  :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 06:15:28 PM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies