Author Topic: What would make a motorized toaster not stay down?  (Read 3155 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
What would make a motorized toaster not stay down? « on: November 28, 2019, 09:08:26 AM » Author: Cole D.
Someone has a toaster, which has motorized raise/lower instead of a lever. But they say it won't stay down when lowered, and won't toast. Is this an easy fix. Because I know on toasters with levers, if the magnet and contacts get dirty with crumbs, then they won't stay down. But on a motorized toaster I assume it works differently.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: What would make a motorized toaster not stay down? « Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 10:23:06 AM » Author: FGS
A "motorized toaster"? 

Exactly what you think it is. Motor does the lowering and raising the lever instead of you doing it. Good for those short on time before the daily commute. You’d set the time and bread the night before. When you wake up it lowers the bread and start toasting. By the time you finish brushing and stuff it’s ready and toasty. No different from the timer setting on the coffeemaker.

My bro has one and it works great.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What would make a motorized toaster not stay down? « Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 10:30:22 AM » Author: Cole D.
Like here:

Motorized toaster

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What would make a motorized toaster not stay down? « Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 04:06:09 PM » Author: Ash
Exactly what you think it is. Motor does the lowering and raising the lever instead of you doing it. Good for those short on time before the daily commute. You’d set the time and bread the night before. When you wake up it lowers the bread and start toasting. By the time you finish brushing and stuff it’s ready and toasty. No different from the timer setting on the coffeemaker.

Why is a motor needed for that ? The bread can be loaded into the "low" position from the start. Switch the heating element with a timer

Original question : I would look if there is a limit switch that cannot be pressed and the toaster "gives up", for example if some crumbs block the tray from going all the way down
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: What would make a motorized toaster not stay down? « Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 11:39:33 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Ever heard of Sunbeam Radiant Control toasters? They don't have levers on them, but they use the thermal expansion properties of the nichrome wire to raise and lower the bread.

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: What would make a motorized toaster not stay down? « Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 01:18:54 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Heh. Motorized toaster.

Vroom vroom.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What would make a motorized toaster not stay down? « Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 02:26:27 AM » Author: Medved
Ever heard of Sunbeam Radiant Control toasters? They don't have levers on them, but they use the thermal expansion properties of the nichrome wire to raise and lower the bread.

This uses to be called and "artificial muscle", just because its similarity to a real muscle.
It is rather common, mainly because it is very cheap to make (no motor winding, no gears), inherently smooth in operation and rather reliable.
And I would guess there would be some debris blocking the end-of-travel contacts, so the controller gives off.

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What would make a motorized toaster not stay down? « Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 04:20:27 AM » Author: dor123
All toasters here in Israel, uses a lever to lower and a bi-metal to rise.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What would make a motorized toaster not stay down? « Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 12:05:20 PM » Author: Medved
Most of the toasters here (all I've seen) use plainlever to lower, then an electromagnet to hold it down and an electronic timer to cut out current to the magnet after a preset time, so release the mechanism so the spring can raise the toasts.
Or the really older ones (pre 1990) use no bread moving mechanism at all, just wings on its side holding the bread along the heater. These have no switch on the heater at all, so you really have to watch them closely. Plus you have to manually flip the bread, as these heat up only from one side (the mica + nichrome wire heater plate is in the middle, two bread pieces on each side).

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What would make a motorized toaster not stay down? « Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 03:04:11 PM » Author: Cole D.
Most toasters here too, do have the lever to raise/lower. Now with the toasters you mention with no timed, those seemed to be about 1930s and earlier here.

The motorized toasters are mostly starting to show up in last 10 years, yet some models are available both ways, and the motorized version usually costing about twice as much, as with lever. Probably mostly as a selling gimmick that add little functionality.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What would make a motorized toaster not stay down? « Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 03:06:34 PM » Author: Cole D.
Why is a motor needed for that ? The bread can be loaded into the "low" position from the start. Switch the heating element with a timer

Original question : I would look if there is a limit switch that cannot be pressed and the toaster "gives up", for example if some crumbs block the tray from going all the way down

With the ones we have here at least, the lever won't stay down unless the power to the toaster is on due to the magnet setup. So it wouldn't be possible to get the toaster to switch on with a timer.

Although, the motorized ones I have seen don't have any timer ability to start, only for ending the cycle. The only way to start the toasting is pressing the button.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What would make a motorized toaster not stay down? « Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 03:37:28 PM » Author: Ash
Why not ? Magnet will stay on all night, heating element will be switched on in the morning
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What would make a motorized toaster not stay down? « Reply #12 on: December 01, 2019, 05:09:50 PM » Author: Cole D.
Why not ? Magnet will stay on all night, heating element will be switched on in the morning

There must have to be some current or something to energize, but any toaster I've seen here, the lever won't latch down unless plugged in.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What would make a motorized toaster not stay down? « Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 06:23:02 AM » Author: Medved

The timer and magnet need ~9V for power. To save cost, the supply is usually picked from a tap on the heater wire. So the magnet may get supply only when the heater is ON.
Plus there is a safety reason: The intention is to allow to power the thing only when attended. So it requires a user action to turn ON the heating. That is, why even the "motorized" (regardless if they use geared motor or the artificial muscle technology; because the "muscle" wire segment is a part of the heater, it can not be operated without the heater turned ON anyway) require the user to press the "start" button.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What would make a motorized toaster not stay down? « Reply #14 on: December 02, 2019, 03:32:32 PM » Author: Ash
Then it won't be usable for this application :

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies