Author Topic: Has anyone noticed this about GE street lights?  (Read 2416 times)
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Has anyone noticed this about GE street lights? « on: January 26, 2020, 07:09:53 PM » Author: HPS_250
It seems to me that M-250R2s are the most likely to dayburn. They are the only GE street light that has ever had a photocell failure in my area, and at least one starts dayburning per month. They are repaired quickly, but does anyone know why they have the highest photocell failure rate?

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Has anyone noticed this about GE street lights? « Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 07:11:28 PM » Author: Rommie
Bad batch of photocells  ???

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Has anyone noticed this about GE street lights? « Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 07:13:37 PM » Author: HPS_250
Possibly that. Only the FCO versions dayburn and the drop refractor ones have never dayburned. I reported them and they got new photocells last week.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Has anyone noticed this about GE street lights? « Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 09:28:46 PM » Author: Cole D.
I haven't noticed that here with them. Around here it seems to be mostly Nema heads that will dayburn, I've seen MV and HPS ones do it, and also the AE 15-000s it seems common with. But maybe they just had old photocells since they are from the 60s.

I know an MV NEMA here that's been dayburning for at least 10 years. LOL

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Has anyone noticed this about GE street lights? « Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 09:33:03 PM » Author: HPS_250
Amazing that the lamp in that NEMA lasted ten years of dayburning! LOL Most of the street lights in my area are GEs, mixed with some AELs and Coopers. NEMA heads are not used for street lighting here. It was most likely that the 1990s M-250R2 FCOS here had a bad batch of photocells!

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Has anyone noticed this about GE street lights? « Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 09:34:06 PM » Author: HPS_250
Amazing that the lamp in that NEMA lasted ten years of dayburning! LOL Most of the street lights in my area are GEs, mixed with some AELs and Coopers. NEMA heads are not used for street lighting here. It was most likely that the 1990s M-250R2 FCOS here had a bad batch of photocells!

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Has anyone noticed this about GE street lights? « Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 09:43:16 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I haven't noticed that here with them. Around here it seems to be mostly Nema heads that will dayburn, I've seen MV and HPS ones do it, and also the AE 15-000s it seems common with. But maybe they just had old photocells since they are from the 60s.

I know an MV NEMA here that's been dayburning for at least 10 years. LOL

This one's been dayburning for 25 yrs !  https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5202&pos=30&pid=165624

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Has anyone noticed this about GE street lights? « Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 10:33:32 PM » Author: Cole D.
This one's been dayburning for 25 yrs !  https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5202&pos=30&pid=165624

In a way I wonder if it's actually better for the bulbs to run non stop rather than starting and stopping thousands of times.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Has anyone noticed this about GE street lights? « Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 10:34:08 PM » Author: Cole D.

It could have been longer, I just know it dayburns now and it was as of the 2008 Streetview.

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Has anyone noticed this about GE street lights? « Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 10:35:09 PM » Author: HPS_250
It actually is better for HID and fluorescent lamps to run all the time. They last longer than if you switched them on and off. It’s like neon signs, they actually last longer if you leave them on all the time because it puts less wear on the transformer!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies