Author Topic: Do you think it's a waste to buy new street lights on eBay?  (Read 1393 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Do you think it's a waste to buy new street lights on eBay? « on: December 13, 2019, 09:44:22 PM » Author: Cole D.
Just wondering, if it is waste to buy new lights on eBay. I always feel a bit silly to think of buying for $80 or more, since most power companies just throw these lights away when switch to LED. It would be great if could ask for it when they replace and get for free, instead of buy new. But problem is, can't really do that.

And hard to find lights at garage sales or thrift stores, they just don't turn up most places here.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Do you think it's a waste to buy new street lights on eBay? « Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 10:14:25 PM » Author: Cole D.
"But problem is, can't really do that."  Why not?

I never actually see them replacing streetlights, only see it done after. Closest has been where I thought they might be replacing some but they hadn't started.

Also tried to contact my Co-op where I live about getting old Powr/Brackets or AEL ballast in arm, but was just told they scrap them out. They made it sound as if they weren't worth messing with. So I wasn't able to get any access unfortunately.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you think it's a waste to buy new street lights on eBay? « Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 11:25:25 PM » Author: Ash
Go to the depot and ask the people. They are not the same ones who answer the phone and have entirely different things in their mind
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Do you think it's a waste to buy new street lights on eBay? « Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 12:31:18 AM » Author: Silverliner
The issue is the cost of shipping. Can be well over $100 to ship coast to coast.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Do you think it's a waste to buy new street lights on eBay? « Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 01:03:29 AM » Author: joseph_125
Shipping is the main dealbreaker for most of the eBay streetlights I find. It can cost upwards of $100-150 to ship one from the US to Canada. Pretty much all of my streetlights and traffic signals for that matter were bought locally for that reason. I sometimes see streetlights at antique stores, Restore, and flea market like places.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Do you think it's a waste to buy new street lights on eBay? « Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 07:58:50 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
The lanterns we bought from eBay had reasonable shipping costs, and the Philips SR201 actually worked out cheaper buying the whole fixture rather than getting the lamp and running gear separately.  8)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 08:09:15 AM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies