Author Topic: Can HPS glow more red/orange at EOL?  (Read 1309 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Can HPS glow more red/orange at EOL? « on: December 18, 2019, 10:51:38 PM » Author: Cole D.
I've noticed some HPS glow redder oranger, but typically most HPS lamps I see at EOL glow only bright green or cycle from normal orange to lime green color. I guessing certain brands of HPS lamps might contain more of the sodium so glow a deeper color, than others.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Can HPS glow more red/orange at EOL? « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 01:38:16 AM » Author: dor123
Most HPS lamps I've seen here in Kiryat Ata and Haifa, glowing reddish or pinkish at EOL.
The redder color is caused by higher mercury pressure in the lamp, as its age, so push the sodium emission more to the red.
Unsaturated (Non-cycling) HPS lamps, retains their original color until they becomes sodium starved, than changes to bluish.
HPS can also glow dim orange if they are leaked, or have their outerbulb lost vacuum.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can HPS glow more red/orange at EOL? « Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 03:50:44 PM » Author: Ash
Older lamps tended to warm up with more Mercury-ish color and then change to the normal SON color - Sometimes dropping out again before fully reaching it. Today's lamps indeed tend to have redder colors
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Can HPS glow more red/orange at EOL? « Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 10:53:58 PM » Author: dor123
@Ash: The older lamps also tended to have redder colors.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Can HPS glow more red/orange at EOL? « Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 10:57:10 PM » Author: Cole D.
I see. I think I heard also, the GE Lucalox HPS have a redder color, but I could be wrong on that.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies