Author Topic: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp  (Read 4804 times)
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #15 on: December 19, 2019, 03:25:04 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Oh no lava lamps are alive and well and im glad they still make the metal base ones.

This fibre optic thing your keen on, is this actually already a thing or is it your idea?

I dont think the oven bulbs will go away anytime soon. Ovens last. We have an Admiral branded one that my grandma used to own in the 1990s and she got it used.  It still fully works and has a retro look to it.

Also have a washer and dryer set by Admiral. No computers or boards. Only time washer needed a fix was when the gears needed replacing inside the agitator which was a $10 part on ebay.

Administrator #5

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #16 on: December 19, 2019, 03:44:43 PM » Author: FGS
Fiber optics for lighting is a thing. I’ve seen them here and there. In ovens themselves? Not yet. It’s possible they’ll get them. Mebbe they won’t but I’m well aware it could happen.

Ovens and other appliances do last ages as long parts for them is readily available cheaply.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #17 on: December 19, 2019, 07:30:20 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Heh they dont make em like they used to thats for sure

Administrator #5

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #18 on: December 19, 2019, 07:43:50 PM » Author: FGS
That goes for just about everything too.

Heh they dont make em like they used to thats for sure

I agree totally. In most cases they’re made far better than the old stuff. I could list them here but not right now. Break’s almost over for me at work.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #19 on: December 19, 2019, 08:01:06 PM » Author: Lumex120
Do you guys really think they are going to go to the trouble of designing a complex fiber optic light system for ovens? That just seems ridiculous when the incandescent lights they put in them now work just fine.

Also, while I'm probably never going to use incandescent bulbs except for in a few specific places, I really think that having the government decide what light sources people can use is just stupid and so I'm happy to hear this. Personally, I'd like to see the ban on mercury vapor ballasts and fixtures be overturned too. I know that none of the big companies out there would start making mercury ballasts and fixtures again, but it would at least make it legal for me to make sell low wattage reproduction ballasts and fixtures, which is something I have been looking into doing.

I do think climate change is a big issue but there are much better ways to fight it than won't be so authoritarian or harmful to the lower class.

Unofficial LG Discord

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #20 on: December 19, 2019, 08:16:55 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I agree totally. In most cases they’re made far better than the old stuff. I could list them here but not right now. Break’s almost over for me at work.

Lmfao yeah ok buddy tell us all about the short lifespan of todays appliances where itll cost me more to replace a logic board in 5 years than it is to buy a new machine.

Administrator #5

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #21 on: December 19, 2019, 09:52:00 PM » Author: FGS

Lmfao yeah ok buddy tell us all about the short lifespan of todays appliances where itll cost me more to replace a logic board in 5 years than it is to buy a new machine.
Did I mention appliances? No I didn’t. Some of the things made today are better than yesteryear ones:
- Internet speed went from 56k dialup to 10 gigabits Ethernet.
- Computer went from 16 colors 640x480 with 4mb Ram and 40mb hdd with cpu at 16mhz one core to millions of colors 4K with 16gb+ ram and terabytes of hdd with cpu at 3.0ghz multicores.
- Video games from side scrolling 8bits games with simple graphics and sound to hyper realistic 4K with surround sound.
- Cellphones from simple ones where you had to press numbers a few times to get a specific letter to basically portable computers.
- Television from analog snowy low resolution to 4K.
- Video from VHS tapes of more or less same low resolution to 4K Blu-ray disks.
- Camcorders from the massive VHS ones you hold over your shoulder to tiny 4K in your smartphone which fits your pocket.
I could go on but I’ll stop for now.  ;)

Btw, our ultra modern stove/oven cost about $600~ I forget how much it was new. The computerized control board about $100~ from https://www.ereplacementparts.com which isn’t too bad if it last about 5 years. I dunno where you’re looking at that a control board would cost over $600.

Do you guys really think they are going to go to the trouble of designing a complex fiber optic light system for ovens? That just seems ridiculous when the incandescent lights they put in them now work just fine.
Do anyone even know what fiber optics are? In a nutshell it looks like a wire. Instead of copper strands allowing transmission of electrons it’s fiberglass strands allowing transmission of light.

I’m not saying they should do the fiber optic system but what’s keeping them from doing just that so they can call it an upgrade or whatever in order to sell ovens? If anything, they’ll just use halogen bipin bulbs on newer ovens like ours does.

Overpopulation. USA 200 million in 1970 327 million 2018. Only so many sardines in a can before it runs over and problems arise. I hope they start making incandescents and mercury vapor again.
Me too.  :mv: FTW!

We do have a population problem world wide not just here. That much I agree with you. But saying USA having too many people will lead to problems is unrealistic as USA is a bit bigger than China in terms of land area and they have over 4 times more people than the USA. We have a long way before we start having serious problems.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #22 on: December 19, 2019, 10:05:34 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
You quoted my appliances post so that's what i went on. GE101r may have referred to everything else but i solely referred to the stove. (Edit* washer and stove)

I wont go into any other items because some are better and some are worse. Guess it depends on whether something was improved to work better and last or if it was made to be a money grab.

Availability of parts can vary wildly on make and models. Shouldn't have to replace boards every 5 years.

Fibre optics are cool and a good tech, i see no fault with it and it's reliable but i just cant see it being put in stoves, sorry even if it would be kinda neat.

Honestly im surprised about the bi pin halogen in yours, is it a standard type of lamp found anywhere or something more obscure? I ask because its new to me
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 10:28:06 PM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged

Administrator #5

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #23 on: December 19, 2019, 10:26:46 PM » Author: FGS
You quoted my appliances post so that's what i went on. GE101r may have referred to everything else but i solely referred to the stove.

I wont go into any other items because some are better and some are worse. Guess it depends on whether something was improved to work better and last or if it was made to be a money grab.

Availability of parts can vary wildly on make and models. Shouldn't have to replace boards every 5 years.

Fibre optics are cool and a good tech, i see no fault with it and it's reliable but i just cant see it being put in stoves, sorry even if it would be kinda neat.

Honestly im surprised about the bi pin halogen in yours, is it a standard type of lamp found anywhere or something more obscure? I ask because its new to me

I’ll have to look in it tomorrow to check but I doubt it’ll be obscure. I’ve seen bipin halogen both in 120v and 12v in stores.

It happens. Parts wear out. Like the gears on the old washer. The likely culprits to pack it up on the control board are the relays which are handling dozens of amps at 240v. The contacts arc over and get pitted every time they open. At least it gives me a puzzle to solve and fix. Those jigsaw puzzles? Bleh, I rather get under the hood of appliances/vehicles trying to figure out what broke than match pieces to form a picture. LOL!

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #24 on: December 19, 2019, 10:41:41 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Im sure the old washers gears or transmission if you can call it that are old and worn but the things old it's had a very good run but we'll keep using it until it quits. The dryer im sure is still good for a long time.

Once in a while ill open the cover where the dials are and clean up in there and also clean the contacts, these are completely mechanical so its like many relays and switches in one. I check to make sure theres no frayed wires from vibrations. Whatever keeps the pair going because with how tight the basement is I really dont wanna want to help haul that thing up the stairs and then bring something else in.

It's brands like samsung and whirlpool that gave me such a bitter outlook on new stuff because of reviews and issues ive heard with them.

But ill be fair we do have a new LG fridge bought in 2017 and still works. Has the LED light built in. Its not the smart fridge thankfully. Theres probably decent stuff out there but its so hit and miss these days so homework definitely is a must

Administrator #5

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #25 on: December 20, 2019, 08:06:20 AM » Author: FGS
But ill be fair we do have a new LG fridge bought in 2017 and still works. Has the LED light built in. Its not the smart fridge thankfully. Theres probably decent stuff out there but its so hit and miss these days so homework definitely is a must

I haven’t seen any smart fridges from other brands beside the Samsung one I just uploaded on the gallery. Mebbe I should look deeper next time I’m in Best Buy.

It’s always rule #1. Do your homework before buying anything like major appliances. I’m sure people in the 60s or 70s did theirs before buying their appliances. Though I’m not sure how they researched which appliance would be reliable without internet. Consumer Reports type magazines mebbe? ???

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #26 on: December 20, 2019, 10:35:44 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Yes anyone should know research is a must but im sure back then quality was less an issue then it is today

Administrator #5

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #27 on: December 20, 2019, 12:03:40 PM » Author: Silverliner
Guys, I’m locking the thread. Seems that the incandescent topic has been discussed enough here and it got off topic.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies