Author Topic: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp  (Read 4803 times)
GE101R
President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « on: December 19, 2019, 01:14:05 AM » Author: GE101R
Tonight in his speech he advised that he was bringing the incandescent lamps back and people can again have their choice on types of lamps.

Fantastic, some sanity!
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 01:38:54 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Tonight in his speech he advised that he was bringing the incandescent lamps back and people can again have their choice on types of lamps.

Fantastic, some sanity!
Hope the lamp manufacturers agree with that... and make them quality. He should do MV next...
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 05:22:39 AM » Author: Medved
Don't be ovejoyed. The only thing the ban did was to speed up the incandescent phase out that would happen anyway. The main reason was, incandescents were too cheap on the market to be a long term viable business for makers, so they were just continuing production on machines that happens to just be running. With no intention of any investment in them at all whatsoever. The only reason keeping the profit less production alive was hoping the competitors break down first, so the competitor would be the one pulling incandescent from their portfolio first. And maybe hoping you would be the last offering these products, so may ramp up the prices back, serving the niche.
The ban was designed to just relieve all makers from that pain - all were rather sure no one else would become the only one keeping the products.
Now because the ban had rather strict dates behind, all high volume lines were scheduled to be dismantled by that, so the maintenance plans was modified accordingly. Now most those lines are in a state where they are nearly falling apart, so not be able to produce anything  without a complete overhaul. And to justify that, the selling prices would have to be back in the 1$ range per bulb. I doubt there would be much sale with that price sticker.
Well, Cheepeese imports will be then the only source. With the corresponding "quality"...

No more selfballasted c***

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 11:05:44 AM » Author: FGS

Fantastic, some sanity!

Did I miss something last night? From what I understand about yesterday is the impeachment thing. Nothing on lighting. Much less repealing incandescent bans.

I doubt the repealing the bans would bring them back. People rather save on electric bills. CFLs were becoming popular just for that very reason before bans were even a thing around 2007~. CFLs didn’t explode in popularity because they’re ugly and not so great CRI. Not to mention lack of dimmability. (Dimmable CFLs exist but expensive and few in numbers.) They also had  problem’s with cold weather, with some starting very dim and taking forever to warm up even at room temperature.

Then LED bulbs arrived. Instant start, dimmable bulbs cheap, variety of colors, good to great CRI, and non existent issues with cold weather. Then there’s the smart bulbs like the Hue bulbs from Philips. You can program them to do anything like change colors with your phone or computer which CFLs and incandescents cannot do.

One final nail to the coffin is the filament LED bulbs. Those looks like incandescents. Same color variety. Even BLB ones which actually does something BLB light is meant to do.  Philips Hue has filament LEDs as well but not RGB ones (probably not yet).

Let’s face it guys. Whilst I love the glow from incandescent bulbs. Trump is not gonna be able to resurrect incandescent to the times before Bush Junior banned them back in 2007~. It’s slowly disappearing. Last stronghold for them is oven lights. Even there it won’t last long before someone put LEDs on the cooler control panel/clock assembly and fiber optic the light into the oven cavity.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 01:06:52 PM » Author: FGS
In his rally speech in Michigan. He said he was reversing the light bulb bans.

I found the part where he says something about them. But wow man! How he rambles on and on and on with his speech! Nearly fell asleep.

The part where he says artificial lights (either LEDs or CFLs) make him look orange. Sorry pal, you looks orange under sunlight. (Look up Trump eclipse for pics of him.)

Disagree. Many companies have just stopped production because of the silly ban and they will start up again. Watch.

We shall see. While it’s good for collectors who like collecting them but I’m not getting my hopes up that manufacturers will start making them again. I’ll just dust off the shelves reserved for modern incandescent bulbs just in case.

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 01:10:33 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Let’s face it guys. Whilst I love the glow from incandescent bulbs. Trump is not gonna be able to resurrect incandescent to the times before Bush Junior banned them back in 2007~. It’s slowly disappearing. Last stronghold for them is oven lights. Even there it won’t last long before someone put LEDs on the cooler control panel/clock assembly and fiber optic the light into the oven cavity.

you've forgotten Lava lamps, scented wax lights, those little salt stone lamps, Edison bird cage lamps (which still look better in incandescent than LED), infrared heat lamps, Christmas lights, and other specialty and decorative light sources that function on incandescent heat and light properties. Also a lot of people won't care to change out their stoves for a long time. a stove is an appliance that's generally reliable. I imagine they'll be around for nitch applications forever. I've heard that incandescent is still preferred for some stage lighting applications as well. I did stagecraft for years and the incan lighting casts a much more natural light than our LED heads did.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 01:46:33 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 01:23:52 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
The small incandescent lamps for the things homebrewlamps mentioned aren't going anywhere. There are things your LED bulbs cannot do. Fibre optical will not last in an oven environment and no one is gonna pay the huge cost of implementing that into one.. For as long as ovens needing a bulb, lava lamps and the like exist the incandescents that run them will stay because there is a market for them. Money talks and there is still money to be made with those lamps. And because these are not everyday lighting, no one will care about the 40 watts.

I can walk into any store, even the 99% LED only ones and behold! a pack of 1 or 2 OVEN lamps along with the other bulbs intended for heating

Administrator #5

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 01:34:38 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
The small incandescent lamps for the things homebrewlamps mentioned aren't going anywhere. There are things your LED bulbs cannot do. Fibre optical will not last in an oven environment and no one is gonna pay the huge cost of implementing that into one.. For as long as ovens needing a bulb, lava lamps and the like exist the incandescents that run them will stay because there is a market for them. Money talks and there is still money to be made with those lamps. And because these are not everyday lighting, no one will care about the 40 watts.

I can walk into any store, even the 99% LED only ones and behold! a pack of 1 or 2 OVEN lamps along with the other bulbs intended for heating

Someone still uses lava lamps? I haven't seen those in anewhere for ages.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 01:43:20 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Someone still uses lava lamps? I haven't seen those in anewhere for ages.

I know quite a few people. I don't personally own one but i want several of them.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 01:59:19 PM » Author: FGS
The things you guys mentioned are niche lighting. Trump was likely referring to general lighting use ones. Those have a slim chance of coming back.

Lava lamps? Those are still sold?  :D

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 02:01:07 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
The things you guys mentioned are niche lighting. Trump was likely referring to general lighting use ones. Those have a slim chance of coming back.

of course they're still sold. who doesn't find a lava lamp nice to look at? I'm not talking about those crappy glitter lamps. the real deal wax lights are nice.

~Owen

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #11 on: December 19, 2019, 02:28:44 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Don't pretend you didn't know! (cant speak for other countries east so not knowing is excused)  but YES lava lamps are still around, YES stoves still use a lightbulb and YES people do have salt lamps and the bulbs for for those items will always be around. No one is going to ban those because LED cannot produce heat or last in 800 F temps. Seriously I can go to the mall right now and pick from a selection of lava lamps in a store. I was actually planning too in the new year when the holiday BS is over. It looks like they are making a bit of a come back

If the bans don't get reversed due to the turbulence in the office then that will suck, but keep in mind, the bulbs intended for niche items mentioned are no different then standard lamps. You can use a 40W oven bulb in a table lamp just fine and you could likely still find higher wattage ones labeled for rough service as some sort of loop hole get around of the regulations. In most cases the lamps that still sell or have a stable demand will likely be left alone, where as a pack of 3 way incandescents will likely be gone for good. They are still sold in Canada but the shelves are always full with dust settled and some packages are the older discontinued design
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 02:40:21 PM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged

Administrator #5

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #12 on: December 19, 2019, 02:43:37 PM » Author: FGS
Don't pretend you didn't know! YES lava lamps are still around, YES stoves still use a lightbulb and YES people do have salt lamps and the bulbs for for those items will always be around. No one is going to ban those because LED cannot produce heat or last in 800 F temps. Seriously I can go to the mall right now and pick from a selection of lava lamps in a store.

YES I’m well aware of lava lamp existence. I’ve seen the things in my friend’s room and thrift stores. WE have a salt lamp. DO you think the area for the circuit boards for the oven control and timer gets as hot as 800F? Solder to assemble the electronics MELTS at 350F. Do YOU even know how fiber optic works? Btw OUR oven takes halogen bipin bulbs, of which is still incandescent. To GE101R - So the “right to choose” never went away. Halogen is incandescent but a bit hotter and brighter burning filament.

The lava lamps still sold question is referring to ones made in 2019 with wax and stuff and found in box stores. (Malls can be included.)

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #13 on: December 19, 2019, 02:51:12 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
The oven control board is irrelevant , Im talking about the medium base socket located inside the oven chamber. I can just go up to my oven right now and open the door and reach right in and unscrew the bulb. And I know that to implement the fibre optic will make the cost go up, pointless, and then if it is done, the LED will still burn out and now you cant replace the bulb, horraayy. And no matter what ovens that use a medium base bulb are still widespread so the bulbs for them are here to stay.

I told you you pretended not to know lava lamps are still sold

Administrator #5

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: President Trump Is Bringing Back The Incandescent Lamp « Reply #14 on: December 19, 2019, 03:09:40 PM » Author: FGS
What make you think manufacturers won’t go LEDs with the next generation of ovens? The bulb will likely simply move away from the oven cavity itself and sit next to the control/clock assembly so heat won’t kill it. Fiber optics will guide light from it toward the oven cavity.

Ovens will break irreparably so the classic bulb in oven cavity versions will dwindle along with demand for bulbs for them.

The only thing I didn’t know about lava lamps is that they’re still made and sold brand new with 2019 written on the labels. I always thought the last ones were made in late 1980s. Mebbe early 1990s.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies