Author Topic: Posts  (Read 1322 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Posts « on: December 26, 2019, 05:35:51 PM » Author: Cole D.
I was just wondering, would a 6x6 post of 16 foot make a good pole for a streetlight? Or a 20 foot post? I know Home Depot here have the 16 foot post, which it might be easier to move than the 20 foot.

Also I guess to set just dig a hole a certain percent of the pole length, and then have a few people lift the pole up and drop in hole?

The biggest problem is to do maintenance on the light, would be hard. Or do like sol did, and have the pole on pivot to lower for maintenance.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Posts « Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 05:47:23 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
I used to have a 16 foot 4x4 post at my parents house in their backyard that I installed a bucket light on. I also had a small cobrahead on it at one point. We didn't calculate any percentage of the pole length but we did bury it a few feet maybe 3 or 4 feet. We also poured concrete around it in the hole. I had it close to the house so it could either be serviced by a tall ladder or by standing on the roof. A picture showing the upper portion of the pole is in my gallery on GoL.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Posts « Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 06:07:49 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I'm planning on using a 3" pole to convert my lanterns into floor lamps, and over here that seems to be the standard diameter for the upper portion of columns.  :-\

Oops  :-[ our lanterns.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 06:30:39 PM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Posts « Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 09:54:54 PM » Author: sol
Mine, although it works well, is too heavy to lower when working alone. In hindsight, I would have made one of the metal channels half the pole height to better balance it. Having a Westinghouse MV Lifeguard lamp in there certainly helps with the lengthening of maintenance intervals.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Posts « Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 09:22:27 AM » Author: Cole D.
I'm planning on using a 3" pole to convert my lanterns into floor lamps, and over here that seems to be the standard diameter for the upper portion of columns.  :-\

Oops  :-[ our lanterns.

The post top lanterns here are less common I believe, but from what I can see 3" is the common size they fit. Our cobra and NEMA type lanterns for the most part use side arm mounting rather than post top.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Posts « Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 06:35:01 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
We got a couple of brackets that fit onto the top of a 3" post to allow you to use a side entry lantern, though they're a bit bigger than we thought and will require modification before we use them.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies