Author Topic: Can HPS or MH gets completely self balllasted as SBMV lamps?  (Read 1235 times)
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Can HPS or MH gets completely self balllasted as SBMV lamps? « on: December 26, 2019, 05:52:50 PM » Author: Binarix128
Can a HPS or a MH lamp get completely "self ballasted" (It means to put the entire ignition and ballast system in one sigle lamp that you can just plug in the current).

Probably this is imposible, or if it is possible the lamp will be ridiculously thick and heavy.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Can HPS or MH gets completely self balllasted as SBMV lamps? « Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 11:28:26 PM » Author: dor123
You can integrate an electronic ballast into the lamp, but the lamp than becomes complicated and expensive.
GE tried to make a self-ballasted MH lamp. The GE Miser-MaxiLight 55W: https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-137741

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can HPS or MH gets completely self balllasted as SBMV lamps? « Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 02:59:00 AM » Author: Medved
It can definitely not be as simple as the series incandescent filament in the SBMV.
Closest to that was the mentionned GEs WattMiser: There the ballasting filament was complemented by the "electronic" (well, just a bunch of diodes, capacitors and resistors, plus something like sidac or thyristor diac and few passives, plus a hv pulse transformer), that part was supplying the arc by a small current during the time when the mains voltage sinewave is below the arc voltage so can not feed the arc, to maintain the ionization and so eliminate the need for the reignition spike voltage. Drawback was, it needed DC arctube, which is a bit of use complication (limits operation position).

Later (post 2000) the major makers were offering low wattage PAR CMHs (20 and maybe 35W, definitely not higher) with the complete electronic LFAC ballast in their base, for high end retail market.

The common thing of all these was the high cost of the electronic integrated ballast. That means although it would be technically possible, theat electronic ballasted selfballasted format was never used  (maybe except some experiments) with anything else than the highest color quality MHs, where at least some potential customers were willing to pay the cost. Because HPS was the choice where the most important crireria is to get the cheapest light possible, there is no way anyone in that business would be ever willing to pay the extra cost of the selfballasted format.

No more selfballasted c***

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Can HPS or MH gets completely self balllasted as SBMV lamps? « Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 10:37:31 AM » Author: Binarix128
Indeed, such a lamp will be so expensive and complicated at the point that will be more cheap to use the external ballast.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies