Author Topic: What is Rdis of a capacitor and is it important?  (Read 1442 times)
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

What is Rdis of a capacitor and is it important? « on: December 28, 2019, 08:24:11 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
I got a 100 watt CWA mercury vapor ballast for Christmas and it says "10 microfarad 240 volt cap" (which are readily available as fan capacitors) but it also says "2.60 MEGOHM MAX Rdis". What does this mean and will it affect performance of the ballast?

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is Rdis of a capacitor and is it important? « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 08:54:49 PM » Author: High Intensity
I'm guessing resistor discharge since a lot of HV capacitors have built-in or paralleled discharge resisters ranging from less than 500KΩ to 2MΩ or more. So it's likely saying not to use a capacitor with a self-discharge resistor over 2.6MΩ.
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: What is Rdis of a capacitor and is it important? « Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 09:02:32 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Thank you! That sounds very plausible!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is Rdis of a capacitor and is it important? « Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 03:16:34 AM » Author: Medved
It is for safety reasons: To make sure when the power is disconnected, there is no unsafe voltage (so the capacitor discharged) after a given time limit. The time depends on the voltage the capacitor could be exposed and the time constant of the capacitoance and the discharge (aka bleeder) resistor.

No more selfballasted c***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What is Rdis of a capacitor and is it important? « Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 09:48:35 AM » Author: Rommie
Usually for a PFC capacitor across the supply as we have here, it is to ensure there is no unsafe voltage (≯50V) after approximately 1 minute.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: What is Rdis of a capacitor and is it important? « Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 03:31:51 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
So if I were to use it without the discharge resistor, it wouldn't damage the ballast at all, but I could get shocked?

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What is Rdis of a capacitor and is it important? « Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 06:12:42 PM » Author: Rommie
So if I were to use it without the discharge resistor, it wouldn't damage the ballast at all, but I could get shocked?
Only if you touch both the capacitor terminals  :o :P ;D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies