Author Topic: F36T8 Lamps on a Tulamp Preheat Ballast  (Read 1833 times)
Mr. Orthosilicate

View Posts
View Gallery

F36T8 Lamps on a Tulamp Preheat Ballast « on: December 30, 2019, 03:34:05 PM » Author: Mr. Orthosilicate
We all know that 34w lamps (F34T12) will cook an old Tulamp preheat ballast. With this in mind, is it safe to run F36T8’s on a Tulamp ballast? Looking at the lamp current, it is closer to an F40T12 than an F34T12. The proper 40w lamps run at 430mA, and the 34w lamps run at 460mA, while the F36T8 runs at 440mA. Seeing as it is closer to the specs for a 40w lamp, would it be safe to test this?
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: F36T8 Lamps on a Tulamp Preheat Ballast « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 05:13:55 AM » Author: Silverliner
Yes, you can use F36T8s. The old 1940s-50s Tulamp ballasts and most all single lamp ballasts will be happy with these lamps. I ran some for hours and they never overheated. Be advised, the later smaller case 2 lamp ballasts will likely have problems lighting these on the lag side.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: F36T8 Lamps on a Tulamp Preheat Ballast « Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 05:15:00 AM » Author: Silverliner
I am also moving this to the General lighting forum, as this was in the Lanterns/Fixtures forum.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: F36T8 Lamps on a Tulamp Preheat Ballast « Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 08:48:58 AM » Author: dor123
F36T8 should work without any problem on American preheat ballasts, provided the OCV is at least 220V.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: F36T8 Lamps on a Tulamp Preheat Ballast « Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 08:09:08 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
After knowing that European F36T8 tubes are safe to use on the North American 2 lamp F40T12 preheat ballasts, I am also wondering whether it is safe to run a pair of Philips TL-D 32w ECO tubes and a pair of Philips 4 foot 23w T8 power saver saver tubes on North American 2 lamp F40T12 preheat ballasts. It is very important to note that the Philips TL-D 32w ECO tubes are NOT electrically interchangeable with standard North American F32T8 tubes, but these particular 32w T8 tubes are intended as an energy saving retrofit for European F36T8 tubes on either preheat ballasts or electronic ballasts.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: F36T8 Lamps on a Tulamp Preheat Ballast « Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 12:48:37 AM » Author: dor123
The Philips TL-D 32W ECO have xenon gas instead of krypton, and is very sensitive to changes in the ambient temperature. It can work on American preheat ballasts provided the OCV is at least 220V.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies