Author Topic: GE Yesterdays  (Read 1639 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
GE Yesterdays « on: January 03, 2020, 10:11:42 AM » Author: Cole D.
1892 - General Electric formed through merger of Edison General Electric Co and Thomson-Houston Electric Co.

1911 - GE absorbs National Electric Lamp Association to form its Lighting Division in Nela Park, East Cleveland OH

1919 - Radio Corporation of America (RCA founded)

1920 - GE purchases the former Remington plant on Boston Avenue in Bridgeport, CT.

1930 - RCA sold due to antitrust violation

1963 - GE Powr/Bracket introduced

1965 - GE introduces its Lucalox High Pressure Sodium lamp

1966 - GE introduces the polypropylene 5 element fan blade to its portable fan division.

1970 - GE sold its computer division to Honeywell

Early-mid 1970s GE ended production of portable fans at the Bridgeport plant.

1980 - GE sells their commercial appliance division to Hobart.

1984 - GE's small appliance division was sold to Black and Decker.

In 1986 GE purchased rights to the RCA brand, and in 1987 their GE/RCA consumer electronics division was sold to Thomson SA under the GE and RCA names.
In December 2007 GE/Thomson SA sold their electronics business to Audiovox and GE electronics ended.

By 1990 operations at the Bridgeport plant were minimized, in 2007 only production of some switches took place there. In 2011 GE began demolition of the massive buildings. Today nothing remains of the property, it is sad.

2013 - GE discontinues its telephone division

In 2016 GE sold their large appliances division and Appliance Park, KY manufacturing operations to Haier.

? GE Consumer and Industrial Lighting division sold
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 10:18:01 AM by Cole D. » Logged

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

lifeguard

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE Yesterdays « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 01:57:32 PM » Author: lifeguard
How about the wiring device devision? They made switches as early as the 1900's and the receptacles as early as the 30's to 40's.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: GE Yesterdays « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 05:52:43 PM » Author: Cole D.
How about the wiring device devision? They made switches as early as the 1900's and the receptacles as early as the 30's to 40's.

I don't know much about GE wiring devices division. From a quick search, it looks like it were sold to Pass and Seymour in 2003.

Now the newer GE wiring devices are made by a company called "by Jasco" and just branded with the GE name. Actually I think a lot of the basic devices like switches and duplex outlets are just "by Jasco" but the GFCIs and multimedia stuff all still has the GE name or GE Pro.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

lifeguard

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE Yesterdays « Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 05:08:37 PM » Author: lifeguard
They also owned a Locomotive Division that existed since the 40's. It still exists to this day and they are the only ones who makes locomotives now at a large scale.
migette1

View Posts
View Gallery

Peter

migette1
Re: GE Yesterdays « Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 09:46:12 AM » Author: migette1
Could not miss your interests in the history of G-E. I do not know whether this book is out of print but it would be worth seeing a copy, ask your library its called...A Century of Progress...The General Electric Story. A hall of history publication...A photo history. The book covers 1876 to 1892   1892 to 1923   1924 to 1946   and 1947 to 1978....good luck!

Interested in the history of electric lighting and incandescent in particular and neon glow lamps.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: GE Yesterdays « Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 12:13:52 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Could not miss your interests in the history of G-E. I do not know whether this book is out of print but it would be worth seeing a copy, ask your library its called...A Century of Progress...The General Electric Story. A hall of history publication...A photo history. The book covers 1876 to 1892   1892 to 1923   1924 to 1946   and 1947 to 1978....good luck!
I've looked online, and have found this listing on Amazon for the book.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

migette1

View Posts
View Gallery

Peter

migette1
Re: GE Yesterdays « Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 04:54:36 AM » Author: migette1
Nice to know its still available thanks for finding that out, trying to think my where copy came from, not from my local seller bootsale.

Interested in the history of electric lighting and incandescent in particular and neon glow lamps.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: GE Yesterdays « Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 05:48:35 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Nice to know its still available thanks for finding that out, trying to think my where copy came from, not from my local seller bootsale.
It's what I like to do, look at posts, then see if I can find information about the subject online, and post a link to it.  :) 8)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies