Author Topic: Can I run 2x 70w HPS bulbs in one 150w ballast?  (Read 1128 times)
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Can I run 2x 70w HPS bulbs in one 150w ballast? « on: January 06, 2020, 10:13:44 PM » Author: Binarix128
I want to use my 70w HPS, but I can't get the ballast, but, Can I run 2x 70w bulbs in parallels or series with a 150w ballast?
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I run 2x 70w HPS bulbs in one 150w ballast? « Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 04:26:57 AM » Author: Medved
Simple answer: No.
When you attempt to connect them in parallel, only one of them will light and then get the full 150W.
When inn series, the ballast wiont have enough OCV to maintain the current and furthermore because the ballast behaves very close to a constant current source, both will operate at close to 150W, so overloaded as well.

You may connect two lamps in parallel on a single ballast to get redundant system: Only one lamp will light at any time, but the other will stay as a backup. Once the first extinguish, the second immediately ignites and take over, so you eliminate the reignition cool down delay.
Some makers sell lamps with two arc tubes wired in parallel in one outer envelope just exactly for this purpose.
But there each lamp should be rated to work alone with the ballast in question.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies