Author Topic: Does anyone know if neon signs contain mercury vapor that could leak?  (Read 6202 times)
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Does anyone know if neon signs contain mercury vapor that could leak? « on: January 10, 2020, 09:38:30 PM » Author: HPS_250
As I’ve posted pictures of, I have a neon sign collection. Just wondering if any neon signs contain enough mercury vapor to be harmful? I know that must contain neon gas, argon, or helium with a phosphor. Some of mine contain mercury vapor and are in a non-ventilated room. Could any mercury vapor leak out of the tubes?

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Does anyone know if neon signs contain mercury vapor that could leak? « Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 09:39:46 AM » Author: dor123
Non red neon sign contains argon, mercury and phosphor coating of the desired color, and like fluorescent lamps, contains too little mercury to be harmful. Even the tuna you are eating contains significantly more mercury than all mercury contained discharge lamps, including MV and MH lamps.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Does anyone know if neon signs contain mercury vapor that could leak? « Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 10:21:24 AM » Author: HPS_250
I don’t have any plain red true NEON lights. Could other gases leak from the tubes? Thanks!

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Does anyone know if neon signs contain mercury vapor that could leak? « Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 10:29:04 AM » Author: HPS_250
Would it be toxic or harmful if mercury vapor leaked into the non ventilated room?

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Does anyone know if neon signs contain mercury vapor that could leak? « Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 10:36:17 AM » Author: HPS_250
Thanks! I think I’ll probably not worry about it because it’s just small amounts of vapor.

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Does anyone know if neon signs contain mercury vapor that could leak? « Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 10:58:18 AM » Author: HPS_250
If you worked with broken mercury thermometers and PCB oil, then I’ll be fine with some neon signs. Thanks!    ;D

Miles

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does anyone know if neon signs contain mercury vapor that could leak? « Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 08:35:53 PM » Author: Miles
Neon signs and tubes do not leak just by looking at them, and never will unless broken.

They contain a ratio of argon and neon, 75-25, 60-40, 80-20 depending on climates. Cold countries use a higher neon content ratio to help as a buffer to vaporize the mercury.
They contain mercury, except for pure neon fill including clear red, fluorescent red, orange and pink.
The mercury content is usually a small bead, if that drops to the ground, don't ignore it, clean it up. It won't kill you but if you ask about the dangers of mercury, then you already know it is toxic. Treat it as so.

They do not contain helium. Helium tubes are either very old (they were used before white phosphors were invented to produce a peach white color), or a specialty usually found in art installations and not in commercial or mass-produced signs.
Here is an example of the gas (clear tubes) colors available for neon signs prior to commercialization of colored fluorescent phosphors.
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Does anyone know if neon signs contain mercury vapor that could leak? « Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 08:49:05 PM » Author: HPS_250
Thanks for the info! I won’t ignore mercury if it leaks, but hopefully I will be careful enough to never break a neon sign. That barber shop neon in your photo looks cool and I like that it has the original gas colors in uncoated tubes!

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Does anyone know if neon signs contain mercury vapor that could leak? « Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 08:50:54 PM » Author: HPS_250
Most of my neon signs are white when turned off and have no colored glass. Two of them have red phosphor and one has orange phosphor.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does anyone know if neon signs contain mercury vapor that could leak? « Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 02:34:02 AM » Author: Medved
Actually most "neon" sign tubing use no significant (= so it would contribute to the light in any noticeable way) amount of Neon at all.
Most are "just" cold cathode mercury fluorescents, where the Hg radiates mainly in the invisible UV. The visible colors are then generated by converting this UV by the phosphor coating on the tube inside (the color is dictated by the phosphor composition).
And fun fact, practically all phosphors used there are plain white powders regardless of the color they radiate when lit, so unless there is some dye coating on the outside of the tube, all tubes are just white when off.

And because low pressure, from human perspective there is just a vacuum in the tube. That means when only a small leak forms, it can draw air in (and poison the tube so it stops working), but nothing can escape out.
To really get the mercury out, you would have to really smash the tube "to million pieces" and wash the internals out or spread the dust or so.
When there is just a crack that made it to stop working but otherwise it is still a single piece, there is no way anything may escape from it.

Plus the amount inside is really small. The problems are not with a single tube, but when many tubes are involved (at manufacturing or waste disposal). That is the reason why waste tubes have to be properly recycled...

No more selfballasted c***

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does anyone know if neon signs contain mercury vapor that could leak? « Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 07:48:42 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
As long as you don't break the tubes they dont ever leak or release any harmful substances. A damaged sign that gets a slow leak will suck in air but wont release any gases or mercury unless broken apart.

Administrator #5

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Does anyone know if neon signs contain mercury vapor that could leak? « Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 07:56:07 PM » Author: HPS_250
Thanks everyone for the answers! I’ll be very careful with all my signs and continue collecting neon!  :)

migette1

View Posts
View Gallery

Peter

migette1
Re: Does anyone know if neon signs contain mercury vapor that could leak? « Reply #12 on: February 02, 2020, 09:01:56 AM » Author: migette1
Yes Hg is very toxic and can cause brain damage this was the inspiration of The Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland as mercury was used in hat making, many barometers (not aneroid) have mercury which is open to air so they work properly Torricelli affect so make sure there is good air flow at all times.

Interested in the history of electric lighting and incandescent in particular and neon glow lamps.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Does anyone know if neon signs contain mercury vapor that could leak? « Reply #13 on: February 02, 2020, 09:24:53 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Yes Hg is very toxic and can cause brain damage this was the inspiration of The Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland as mercury was used in hat making, many barometers (not aneroid) have mercury which is open to air so they work properly Torricelli affect so make sure there is good air flow at all times.
Only as a result of it contaminating the stale urine used in the felting process. Mercury was used as a treatment for syphilis, and that made its way into the bladder eventually.  :o 

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

migette1

View Posts
View Gallery

Peter

migette1
Re: Does anyone know if neon signs contain mercury vapor that could leak? « Reply #14 on: February 02, 2020, 09:58:09 AM » Author: migette1
Only as a result of it contaminating the stale urine used in the felting process. Mercury was used as a treatment for syphilis, and that made its way into the bladder eventually.  :o 

More interesting facts surprising what you learn....I did know Phosphorus was first made by rejucing urine down...name derives from light bearing as the element has to be kept under water or it ignites....phos light giving  phorus bearing.

Interested in the history of electric lighting and incandescent in particular and neon glow lamps.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies