Author Topic: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable?  (Read 3936 times)
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « on: January 14, 2020, 04:00:20 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I'm already well on my way to gathering as many as I can before they dry up.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 04:11:41 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Personally, I'd collect the older name brand ones, such as GE or Sylvania and novelty ones. Don't care about the spirals that much. I would only keep spirals if they were free or they were GE and Philips ones.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 07:28:05 PM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 04:23:15 PM » Author: joseph_125
I have a few NOS examples of the older preheat ones from the 1990s and I think a few sprials that were removed from service but I don't really go out of my to collect them.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 04:47:34 PM » Author: Rommie
The original Philips SL range are already collectables, especially the 1st generation black base ones. I'm certainly trying to get as many as I can, one of each type/wattage, anyway.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 05:00:55 PM » Author: AngryHorse
They already are!!  ;D, and I’m glad I’ve got boxes of them in all different shapes/sizes and wattages, and in certain B+Q stores, they are on the clearance shelves!, I need some more spirals for collection only have 3 8)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 06:00:08 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
They already are!!  ;D, and I’m glad I’ve got boxes of them in all different shapes/sizes and wattages, and in certain B+Q stores, they are on the clearance shelves!, I need some more spirals for collection only have 3 8)
Hmmm. ROAD TRIP.!! ;D

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 06:01:30 PM » Author: Rommie
Hmmm. ROAD TRIP.!! ;D
Or a canal trip, the Big Lock did excellent ale  ;D

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 07:17:32 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I wish Philips made the European SL design over here. I would like one but there is really no way to operate them on 120v that I know of.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 08:00:57 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
I have some Harmony Lighting NIBs (was nib anyway, now in service) don’t know how rare they are, if you know leave a comment.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 08:14:40 PM » Author: High Intensity
A while ago, i found a few Philips SL13 bulbs at a surplus store, i have no idea what they were doing in the USA but it was cool nonetheless.

For me, i tend to like the older tri-tube (or similar) CFLs, as i remember my parents had some tri-tube BR30s CFLs in their kitchen that, over time, slowly got replaced with the spiral BR30s which are now slowly being replaced with LED BR30s.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 05:27:35 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I’ve used a few SL lamps over the years when I lived at home, but I only have the one today, and it’s the more modern version with the lighter ballast in, I’ve mostly just got the electronic versions.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 07:40:51 AM » Author: Rommie
I'm already well on my way to gathering as many as I can before they dry up.
That's all we can do, we're trying to do the same with SOX and SLI lamps.

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 07:43:24 AM » Author: High Intensity
I think i've got enough CFLs to last me a lifetime and a half. :P
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 09:21:14 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
The only downside of collecting self ballasted cfl is that the electronics ages even if you don't use it.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: So, when are Cfl's gonna become collectable? « Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 11:11:10 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Replacement components are luckily easily obtainable though! Just pop it open and replace the electrolytic caps and they should run like new.

~Owen

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies