Author Topic: Could outdoor light arms be made from conduit?  (Read 803 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Could outdoor light arms be made from conduit? « on: January 23, 2020, 09:36:24 PM » Author: Cole D.
I was wondering if it would be possible to make arms for a NEMA or lightweight cobra head from metal conduit? You could bend it to match a certain brand or style of arm and then weld on a plate for the bolts and maybe add a through bolt bracket. You could even add a decorative scroll to make it look like an antique arm.

I'm thinking it would be cheaper than getting a real arm, and easier to find, since lights seem easier to get than the arms.

The only thing is I'm not sure how sturdy it would be.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Could outdoor light arms be made from conduit? « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 10:32:46 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I wouldn't trust EMT conduit with any kind of significant weight . something like a NEMA , yes. anything else, NO !

The thicker, rigid steel type might work but I would still keep the arm length rather short.   

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies