Author Topic: Regular incasdescent in a HPS ballast?????  (Read 5235 times)
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Regular incasdescent in a HPS ballast????? « on: August 29, 2006, 07:29:48 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
Regular incasdescent in a HPS ballast?????

I know that HPS ballast can accept incasdescent...but in a lower voltage (I tested my NEMA head ballast with the incandescent...and the voltage was 100 volts to be exact.....

but will this work for every HPS ballast? I mean maybe some ignitor works differently from others....also some HPS ballast have capitiors...which running an incasdescent could be bad for it???? I do not know at all......can anyone help????

Thanks!!!!

-Jace-

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

dp
Re: Regular incasdescent in a HPS ballast????? « Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 08:17:59 PM » Author: dp
I have done this before and when the incandescent failed to light I put in another HPS of the right wattage and it was really dim I replaced the ballast and the problem was solved
dp
Re: Regular incasdescent in a HPS ballast????? « Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 04:44:21 PM » Author: dp
It is possible to connect an incandescent lamp with a ballast. The ballast may not like it, though. Recently in my job we had a callout to fix a streetlamp and we were surprised that some idiot climbed the pole, removed the SOX lamp and fitted a 60 watt incandescent lamp in its place. Funnily enough, it worked for a few days until I fitted a new SOX lamp of 35 watts in its place and override the photocell and believe it or not, it didn't work with the lamp so we had to put a new ballast in the light and just after we fixed it, a man came out of the house so we charged him for it which would be probably $ 100 it costed him (rough estimate of currency)
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Regular incasdescent in a HPS ballast????? « Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 04:54:44 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
WAIT A MINUTE... a LPS lamp and an incasdecent...is that what I heard?

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

mr_big
Re: Regular incasdescent in a HPS ballast????? « Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 06:01:05 PM » Author: mr_big
Yep that is what you heard I read the post and I thought that LPS ballasts have a very high open circuit voltage which causes the incandescent lamp to arc across the filament supports
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Regular incasdescent in a HPS ballast????? « Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 06:06:17 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
how did you know it was that man that did it?

dp
Re: Regular incasdescent in a HPS ballast????? « Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 06:11:55 PM » Author: dp
just after we fixed it, a man came out of the house so we charged him for it which would be probably $ 100 it costed him (rough estimate of currency)
I think this here explains how he knew it was the man that did it
dp
Re: Regular incasdescent in a HPS ballast????? « Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 06:52:32 PM » Author: dp
Sometimes I forget about mentioning LPS because I am in the UK and I get used to SOX! Yep, that is what he did. It was a 5m Column and I think he would of stood on his car as it was a Ford Galaxy (a big people carrier)
dp
Re: Regular incasdescent in a HPS ballast????? « Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 11:05:46 AM » Author: dp
Anyway, I knew it was him because when he came out of his house, he said that he fitted it in and he said he tried every single department of the council to see if any of them would fix it! It will obviously be the streetlighting department! They send a list of streetlights for us at the contracting company of what lights to repair.
prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

my old friend proteus the prawn!

Re: Regular incasdescent in a HPS ballast????? « Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 11:20:53 PM » Author: prawnman88
 :)
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies