Author Topic: I bought a few bulbs !  (Read 2422 times)
Lightnin

View Posts
View Gallery

I bought a few bulbs ! « on: February 25, 2020, 05:38:54 AM » Author: Lightnin
So .. here in the UK , our local Waste Tips usually have a shop , where they give things a last chance before being disposed of. I go most weekends to see what I can "save" lol .
This weekend , there was a stack of boxes , all containing huge light bulbs .. price tag £10 for the lot . Bug smile came on my face .. "I'll have these please" !
They are mostly GES / E40 300w clear glass bulbs. and about 20 or so 200w E27 . 128 bulbs in total ! Filled the back of our small car (with the back seats down) .
I was so pleased .. but Wifey didn't seem so impressed with my haul ?? :-(
So I remembered I had an account here .. so I have some people to tell about it :-)
Most of them are GEC , a few look a bit older and are Osram , and the 200w E27 are Thorn.
Now I have to figure out what I'm going to do with them all !
I thought I could make a table lamp .. maybe steam punk style , and limit the current so they just glow a cosey orange colour ?
If they look good , I could sell them on ebay or something.
I've already noticed the bases/sockets are not very available for that kind of wattage.

Anyway .. here are some pics , and if you have any ideas what I can do with / make for them .. let me know :-)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 05:45:10 AM by Lightnin » Logged
Lightnin

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I bought a few bulbs ! « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 05:41:09 AM » Author: Lightnin
osram
Lightnin

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I bought a few bulbs ! « Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 05:42:16 AM » Author: Lightnin
GEC
Lightnin

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I bought a few bulbs ! « Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 05:42:59 AM » Author: Lightnin
Thorn
Lightnin

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I bought a few bulbs ! « Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 05:43:22 AM » Author: Lightnin
Boot Full
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: I bought a few bulbs ! « Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 08:31:53 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Interesting, this doesn’t sound like any tip I’ve seen!, ours is so obsessed with security, the lamp bin is right next to the office!, and it’s world war 3 if they catch you routing in it!!  ;D
Good score saving those though.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: I bought a few bulbs ! « Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 01:53:11 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Oh yeah!, they have one policy at our tip, “ incoming stuff only, nothing leaves”!, they’ll drone on about the WEEE directive and health and safety, and how dangerous things like old tubes are, “mercury in them you know”!!
As I understand there’s quite a few like that in the UK, run by ‘jobs worth’ council men!

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Lightnin

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I bought a few bulbs ! « Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 10:41:28 AM » Author: Lightnin
we have a few in neighboring towns .
set up like a charity shop . pat test the electricals etc.
I've bought cameras HI Fi's , books , records etc etc ..
love it !
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: I bought a few bulbs ! « Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 07:56:06 AM » Author: AngryHorse
That’s a pretty cool idea though, you’d think the guys a the tips would want to make a bit of money?

Welcome to OBLIVION

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: I bought a few bulbs ! « Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 06:01:45 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
That's overkill. The PC crowd at work.

They wanna be good to the environment yet they just let good things go to waste. Hypocrisy at its finest.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: I bought a few bulbs ! « Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 08:24:47 PM » Author: Lumex120
They wanna be good to the environment yet they just let good things go to waste. Hypocrisy at its finest.
It's about control, not environmental care.

Unofficial LG Discord

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies