Author Topic: Ahh yes, Sell me your broken lamp  (Read 2174 times)
High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Ahh yes, Sell me your broken lamp « on: March 01, 2020, 05:40:04 AM » Author: High Intensity
(Link no longer works)https://www.amazon.com/Lithonia-Lighting-OMHL-50-M6/dp/B007M1SYXA/ref=sr_1_42?keywords=50w+metal+halide&qid=1583058713&sr=8-42

Because I love myself a broken 50w MH.
Also, someone should tell the guy using these in his "75w" fixture to stop and get proper lamps for it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 07:33:05 PM by High Intensity » Logged
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ahh yes, Sell me yor broken lamp « Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 09:32:15 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
The problem with HID lighting is next to NO ONE understands that you can't substitute a lamp of a different wattage or type ! ::)  One of my local pharmacies relamped all of their 50w HPS exterior floods with 23w cfl's..... They lasted less than a week  ::) 

As for the seller  : this person DEFINITELY knows ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about what they're selling ! blatantly EOL lamp in the pic,(A stock photo I might add !) Both the words "halogen" and "incandescent in the description along with life and lumen ratings which are 1/2 what they should be . No mention of using the correct ballast and multiple mentions of the lamp being 120 volts.... UH , NO !  >:(

As for the "buyers" , Just because it fits in the fixture doesn't mean it's OK !  ::) ( And then they complain that it didn't last long !)  ::)

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Ahh yes, Sell me yor broken lamp « Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 09:59:19 AM » Author: Lumex120
I like this review:
"REALLY CANT TELL THE DIFFERENCE FROM THE 75 WATT. IT DOSENT HAVE THE LIFE THAT THE 75 HAS"
I'm guessing they meant 70 watts or something and they tried putting a 50w lamp in the fixture thinking it would either use less power or last longer. I blame sellers in this case. ::)

Unofficial LG Discord

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ahh yes, Sell me yor broken lamp « Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 10:30:03 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
EXACTLY !!! A 50w lamp on a 70w ballast will produce close to or the same amount of light with a drastically shorter life .

AGAIN , Know what you're buying (or selling) Far to many people either guess or assume.

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Ahh yes, Sell me yor broken lamp « Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 10:02:46 AM » Author: BT25
EXACTLY !!! A 50w lamp on a 70w ballast will produce close to or the same amount of light with a drastically shorter life .

AGAIN , Know what you're buying (or selling) Far to many people either guess or assume.

Chinese junk on Amazon, sold by someone who knows nothing about HID. (The reviews are worthless too. :lol: :lol: :lol:)

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

Mr. Orthosilicate

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ahh yes, Sell me yor broken lamp « Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 10:34:54 PM » Author: Mr. Orthosilicate
This reminds me of a review I saw on a generic 100w mercury lamp on scamazon once. I think the lamp was a satco, and the guy left a one star review saying the lamp only lasted a month or two after he replaced a 175w lamp in a relative’s yardblaster in order to save energy. I can. understand the confusion vs incandescent lamps, since the ballast determines the power used, not the lamp (Excluding arc voltage). Still, you’d think he would have noticed that the 100w lamp said h38 ballast only, versus the original h39 bulb and the stickers saying to use only a 175w h39 lamp. People like that shouldn’t be working on things if they don’t understand their operation.
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Ahh yes, Sell me yor broken lamp « Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 10:21:38 AM » Author: BT25
This reminds me of a review I saw on a generic 100w mercury lamp on scamazon once. I think the lamp was a satco, and the guy left a one star review saying the lamp only lasted a month or two after he replaced a 175w lamp in a relative’s yardblaster in order to save energy. I can. understand the confusion vs incandescent lamps, since the ballast determines the power used, not the lamp (Excluding arc voltage). Still, you’d think he would have noticed that the 100w lamp said h38 ballast only, versus the original h39 bulb and the stickers saying to use only a 175w h39 lamp. People like that shouldn’t be working on things if they don’t understand their operation.

Well, you can't fix stupid!  :lol: :lol:

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ahh yes, Sell me your broken lamp « Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 05:35:21 PM » Author: High Intensity
I came across another bad listing recently for a GE 100w CMH lamp, while the price seemed good (10$) the listing was such a mess that i passed on it. Just as an example, the title was for a F30T8 LED retrofit, the first half of the description was for a 175w MH lamp, and the listing said 4-pack in one area but the description said the number of items was one.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Ahh yes, Sell me your broken lamp « Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 02:14:22 PM » Author: Rommie
Bought a lamp on eBay the other day, advertised as "New Other" by the seller,supposedly a GE Lucalox 70W HPS (elliptical, coated). I won the auction with a minimum bid, so was looking forward to receiving it, as I love the colour from Lucalox lamps. It was advertised as an external ignitor lamp, but the lamp that arrived was (a) Osram not GE and (b) anything but new. The coating on the inside was worn away in several places, mainly near the top of the bulb, see here.

Oh, it didn't work, either. With or without an ignitor.

Not impressed  >:(
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 04:13:40 PM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Ahh yes, Sell me your broken lamp « Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 11:44:32 PM » Author: Lumex120
I came across another bad listing recently for a GE 100w CMH lamp, while the price seemed good (10$) the listing was such a mess that i passed on it. Just as an example, the title was for a F30T8 LED retrofit, the first half of the description was for a 175w MH lamp, and the listing said 4-pack in one area but the description said the number of items was one.
Honestly for $10 I would have just bought it to see what shows up.

Unofficial LG Discord

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ahh yes, Sell me your broken lamp « Reply #10 on: May 19, 2021, 07:45:51 AM » Author: sol
A while back, I found some metal halide lamps on eBay that were "refurbished". I could never think of how someone could refurbish a metal halide lamp. The arc tube was relatively dark although not jet black.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies