Author Topic: Currency and online shopping  (Read 4359 times)
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Currency and online shopping « on: March 12, 2020, 07:49:01 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Lately the Canadian dollar has taken a dump and now its teetering on 0.71 cents US which is making sites like ebay a nightmare to look at. Is it bad where you are? Miss the days when CAd/USD were about equal

Administrator #5

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Currency and online shopping « Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 07:02:28 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Corona virus scare?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Currency and online shopping « Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 07:34:56 PM » Author: Rommie
Corona virus scare?
I don't want to make light of what is obviously an extremely serious situation, but I do think that the media have a lot to answer for here. As far as we can tell, most if not all of the people who have actually died have also had underlying health conditions and coronavirus was just a contributing factor not the primary cause of death.

Be sensible, do what the public health authorities in your area suggest (mainly wash your hands often and thoroughly), and you should be fine. It's certainly not going to prevent us from going shopping or meeting friends.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Currency and online shopping « Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 08:00:35 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I'm not afraid of it. I'm just saying that perhaps the canadian dollar dropped because of the corona virus.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Currency and online shopping « Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 08:04:43 PM » Author: Rommie
I'm not afraid of it. I'm just saying that perhaps the canadian dollar dropped because of the corona virus.
The stock markets have gone through the floor everywhere, I just said I think people are over-reacting.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Currency and online shopping « Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 12:45:24 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Just sucks because it makes online shopping unaffordable. So glad I got my sox lamps before this crap started. I'm hoping things will change as Canada does seem to have reasonable control over the virus spread, theres a ton of cancelations for anything that involves public gathering

Administrator #5

migette1

View Posts
View Gallery

Peter

migette1
Re: Currency and online shopping « Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 05:17:34 PM » Author: migette1
I don't want to make light of what is obviously an extremely serious situation, but I do think that the media have a lot to answer for here. As far as we can tell, most if not all of the people who have actually died have also had underlying health conditions and coronavirus was just a contributing factor not the primary cause of death.

Be sensible, do what the public health authorities in your area suggest (mainly wash your hands often and thoroughly), and you should be fine. It's certainly not going to prevent us from going shopping or meeting friends.

I am the oldest member, and yes I am scared, this is perhaps the biggest thing I have seen in my life, just tune into LBC radio and that's all they talk about with worried people ringing in asking questions, take care and avoid crowds I shop in the early morning to get my food items less people about and wash my hands when I get back, the shop is very close and does all I need including cat food and litter.

Interested in the history of electric lighting and incandescent in particular and neon glow lamps.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Currency and online shopping « Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 05:21:25 PM » Author: Rommie
I am the oldest member, and yes I am scared, this is perhaps the biggest thing I have seen in my life, just tune into LBC radio and that's all they talk about with worried people ringing in asking questions, take care and T crowds I shop in the early morning to get my food items less people about and wash my hands when I get back, the shop is very close and does all I need including cat food and litter.
As I have said on numerous occasions, the media are most to blame in my opinion, they are blowing things way out of proportion. I take everything said on radio or TV with a generous dose of salt unless and until I can verify things for myself. Yes it is a nasty situation, but things will recover.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Currency and online shopping « Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 05:36:30 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
As I have said on numerous occasions, the media are most to blame in my opinion, they are blowing things way out of proportion. I take everything said on radio or TV with a generous dose of salt unless and until I can verify things for myself. Yes it is a nasty situation, but things will recover.
Yes, things are desperate, but looking deeper at the news article on the BBC news website, the 10 people who have died in the past 24 hours that tested positive for coronavirus, most of them were men over 80 and all but one were confirmed to have underlying medical conditions. That's 0.67% of the total deaths in the same period. A little perspective is needed to allay people's fears. Listen to what the public health officials are telling you and take sensible precautions.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 05:41:30 PM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

migette1

View Posts
View Gallery

Peter

migette1
Re: Currency and online shopping « Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 05:37:35 PM » Author: migette1

Hope you are right Ria!

Interested in the history of electric lighting and incandescent in particular and neon glow lamps.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Currency and online shopping « Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 06:18:10 PM » Author: Rommie
Hope you are right Ria!
Read my signature  ;D

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Currency and online shopping « Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 02:02:56 AM » Author: takemorepills

I'm very glad to see that those on "the other side of the pond" are also keen at seeing through media scare tactics. ;)

As for CAD/USD ratios, for the nearly 20 years I have lived near the Canadian border, there has been many swings both ways. A few years back we visited and CAD 1.00=USD 1.15, and I am pretty sure I have seen CAD 0.75=USD 1.00 a few times.

The most mind boggling thing about US/Canada relationship is shipping. Why the heck is shipping between US and Canada such a big deal?
It's much easier to handle shipping to/from China than it is for Canada. I really hate that since Canada is our friend and ally, but China points nukes at us and sends us killer viruses every so often!
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Currency and online shopping « Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 11:25:12 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Today i checked the USD/Cad chart and USD = $1.45 Cad !!! Why is Canada being punished so bad here? We aren't even doing to badly with this whole virus thing, were doing a decent job of taking care of ourselves here and I think for the most part we'll be alright after this blows over. If this dollar doesnt balance, Im screwed for buying lighting equipment off ebay
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 11:27:11 AM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged

Administrator #5

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Currency and online shopping « Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 12:05:13 PM » Author: takemorepills
Today i checked the USD/Cad chart and USD = $1.45 Cad !!! Why is Canada being punished so bad here? We aren't even doing to badly with this whole virus thing, were doing a decent job of taking care of ourselves here and I think for the most part we'll be alright after this blows over. If this dollar doesnt balance, Im screwed for buying lighting equipment off ebay

It's just the ebb and flow of currency. I wouldn't read too much into it.

I can't believe it's that big a deal to you? I have considered eBay for lighting collectibles, but even for me in the States, shipping itself is usually ridiculous. I rarely purchase off eBay anymore.

Plus, I have noticed a trend for some lighting collectibles that I have saved searches for, the USD prices have been going WAY up. People are "parking" over-priced items on eBay and when another seller sets their price, they use the "parked" price as a basis for their way too-high price also. Then when I make a reasonable offer I get "that's not reasonable, these go for way more" uh, no they don't. Maybe one time in 2017 one did, but most don't and you aren't comparing actual sales to your price, just parked high prices.
takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Currency and online shopping « Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 12:18:59 PM » Author: takemorepills
Ebay shipping is not going up, the shipping companies have gone up. I find it cheaper and faster to ship USPS Priority. You would be surprised how competitive they are.

When I think of "collectibles" I think of fixtures. I have seen many decent priced fixtures with shipping way over $100. Typically it's because I am west coast and everything seems to pop-up on east coast. Or, if it is west coast, asking price is very steep. Could only be worse shipped to Canadia.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies