Author Topic: Paint for Fluorescent lantern restoration  (Read 2696 times)
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Paint for Fluorescent lantern restoration « on: April 09, 2020, 03:15:00 PM » Author: Ash
I am looking for suitable paint for restoration of some Fluorescent lanterns. They are made of sheet metal with White polyester enamel, which now starts flaking off and small touches of rust start appearing there

Normally i used White spray on enamel for appliance repair with fair results

This time, the luminaires are intended to be put to heavy duty work after the restoration (many hours/day), and i am not sure whether the spray enamel would hold up well to the UV without discoloring or cracking over time

What paint would you recommend for this restoration ?
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Paint for Fluorescent lantern restoration « Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 03:19:15 PM » Author: sol
Here in Canada, you can get high heat paint, I believe in both gloss and satin white. They are typically marketed, I think, to paint baseboard electric heaters. I'm not sure of the UV resistance, though.
Mr. Orthosilicate

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Paint for Fluorescent lantern restoration « Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 05:56:26 PM » Author: Mr. Orthosilicate
Here in ‘Murica, you can get spray paint for automotive applications, as well as “high performance” professional grade enamel in both spray cans and standard paint. There’s also multiple grades of high temperature enamel paint, intended for painting car exhausts, engine parts, manifolds, etc. which I’ve seen on scamazon. Unfortunately, you would have to bake the parts to have the enamel paint fully cure.

There’s a lot of options for this; it all depends on how much money and time you want to spend. Personally, I would just try the “professional” enamel, if it started rusting I would then use the automotive or high temp. paint. Being that it’s a fluorescent fixture, I don’t believe you have to worry about heat problems for the paint, only weather resistance, so regular enamel for metal should be fine.  

If you’re really worried see if applying a clear coat would help.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Paint for Fluorescent lantern restoration « Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 09:44:52 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
If we weren't living under the shadow of Coronavirus I would recommend getting them stripped and powder coated, but I'm not sure if that type of work is being done just now.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Paint for Fluorescent lantern restoration « Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 09:33:19 AM » Author: Medved
Even when the powder coating is not available, I would recommend to first strip the old paint too. Just to be able to fix the starting corrosion. Otherwise it will rust in no time with whatever new paint on.

After the cleaning, I would go for auto paint "sandwitch" (from the base coat, till the top layer; really use all layers), because these are designed for quite some UV and mild heat exposure (normally coming from the sun).

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies