Author Topic: Looking for a couple windows addon files  (Read 2045 times)
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Looking for a couple windows addon files « on: April 23, 2020, 02:41:58 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Not lighting-related, but I'm looking for a couple windows library/addon files (these are freely distributable, co no copyright issues)
They're needed for a couple different free weather softwares I downloaded.

"Build Tools For Visual Studio 2019"   the full offline installer, not one of those phony online installers!
"Universal C Runtime In Windows" (again a full download)
(in both cases for Win 7)

I did multiple google searches, and every one of the links that I tried in the search results was totally worthless...They either linked to a microsoft server for the download, or were dead pages.

I found one .maybe. for the first item ... but it was kind of a sketchy looking site...and it was something like a 11-gb download :o (I think it may have actually been a full download of 'visual studio', not just the "build tools")

Anyone have an idea on just what to search for to find these (exclude any results that just give a link to microsoft)??
Or as a 2nd option, a list of all the files within the install archives??

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking for a couple windows addon files « Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 03:04:11 PM » Author: Medved
Why not use the official MS link?
Im affraid downloading it anywhere else violates the license, so in fact becomes a copyright violation...
The license may allow use of the SW for anything, but with the condition to accept the conditions of the license.

These SW could be free to use (per the license conditions), but you are still bound by their license. And as far as I know, MS uses to restrict the downloads to only official MS web. So obtaining it anywhere else will make it illegal, because it breaches the license conditions.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 03:12:53 PM by Medved » Logged

No more selfballasted c***

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Looking for a couple windows addon files « Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 03:27:14 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@Medved:
Anything microsoft is blocked on my network (something that purposely done). Many other spy/advertising/unsafe/etc sites & domains got the same treatment .lol.

The windows files are supposedly re-distributable.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking for a couple windows addon files « Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 03:29:42 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
@Medved:
Anything microsoft is blocked on my network (something that purposely done). Many other spy/advertising/unsafe/etc sites & domains got the same treatment .lol.
The windows files are supposedly re-distributable.

Your best bet is to purposely get around your blocking to get those files you're seeking like a proxy or vpn on a device you don't care for

Administrator #5

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking for a couple windows addon files « Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 03:47:51 PM » Author: Ash
IIRC the offline installers for Windows service packs, dotnet frameworks etc were called just like that "redistributable" or "redist" - Try to search for the actual files using this term

Then either download them on another network and take to your PC on a portable drive, or boot a Linux CD and while you are running from the CD lift the block on MS domains just for this time
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Looking for a couple windows addon files « Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 07:00:56 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@Lightingguy1994:
The point is not to circumvent the blocking. It is put in place for a reason. .lol.

@Ash:
Yep these 2 are along the line of the various Visual C Runtimes, and Dot Net Framework and etc (those I have been able to find as I needed them (probably because they're more common))
I'm gonna do some searches including the word "redist" (and then "redistributable" ) you suggested to see if that helps.

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking for a couple windows addon files « Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 12:47:09 PM » Author: marcopete87
Not lighting-related, but I'm looking for a couple windows library/addon files (these are freely distributable, co no copyright issues)
They're needed for a couple different free weather softwares I downloaded.

"Build Tools For Visual Studio 2019"   the full offline installer, not one of those phony online installers!
"Universal C Runtime In Windows" (again a full download)
(in both cases for Win 7)

I did multiple google searches, and every one of the links that I tried in the search results was totally worthless...They either linked to a microsoft server for the download, or were dead pages.

I found one .maybe. for the first item ... but it was kind of a sketchy looking site...and it was something like a 11-gb download :o (I think it may have actually been a full download of 'visual studio', not just the "build tools")

Anyone have an idea on just what to search for to find these (exclude any results that just give a link to microsoft)??
Or as a 2nd option, a list of all the files within the install archives??

Have you tried http proxy?

If you can accept time restriction, i can download into one of my web server and send you link via pm, but this will be available on my timezone (GMT+1) between 09:00 and 23:00.
However, which architecture do you need? x64 or x86?
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Looking for a couple windows addon files « Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 11:27:20 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I tried multiple of those free proxy websites this morning (before even looking at LG), and zero luck with any of them (only one even showed microsoft's vile spyware infested website).

At this point I'm glad the basic version of Universal C Runtime (also known as kb2999226) is so danm hard to find...because in my many google'ings I found out it may infect your computer with microsoft spyware. (which would be network-blocked, but I still don't want it on the computer. )

I haven't had time to look for anything more with the 'Build tools for vs 2019' yet (but it will be searched on before I even look anymore for downloads).

---
Thanks for the offer marcopete87! I may PM you later, once I'm done researching exactly what I need to do.

At this point I'll see if I can contact the creator of the weather app that needs C Runtime, and try to find out exactly what *.dll/etc files it needs, then manually install them.

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking for a couple windows addon files « Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 01:44:43 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
If using windows is no-no then why don't you use linux? Windows only software can be either used through wine or vitualizarion.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Looking for a couple windows addon files « Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 05:03:27 AM » Author: marcopete87
I tried multiple of those free proxy websites this morning (before even looking at LG), and zero luck with any of them (only one even showed microsoft's vile spyware infested website).

At this point I'm glad the basic version of Universal C Runtime (also known as kb2999226) is so danm hard to find...because in my many google'ings I found out it may infect your computer with microsoft spyware. (which would be network-blocked, but I still don't want it on the computer. )

I haven't had time to look for anything more with the 'Build tools for vs 2019' yet (but it will be searched on before I even look anymore for downloads).

---
Thanks for the offer marcopete87! I may PM you later, once I'm done researching exactly what I need to do.

At this point I'll see if I can contact the creator of the weather app that needs C Runtime, and try to find out exactly what *.dll/etc files it needs, then manually install them.

Manually register all common framework dll? You are asking for troubles.  :o
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Looking for a couple windows addon files « Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 03:51:21 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@Roi_hartmann:
Its not that using windows is no-no, but is that allowing windows to connect to microsoft is a no-no .LOL.
I do have a Linux system too, but its not in the bedroom(where I do most of my computer use)

@marcopete87:
Yep...manually "install" the files! But not everything, just the ones I need.
All depends on what it is something like .net Framework, & a few different Visual C runtimes, I installed using their normal offline installer (ofcourse from a non-microsoft server)...since there was no need to pick them apart.

------------
The app I needed  "Universal C Runtime" for, I asked about on another site, and found the current version for windows has some 'issues' anyway (not the problem I was having), someone there suggested using the previous release. That works for me, so at this point I'll go with it :)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies