Author Topic: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea?  (Read 12104 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 09:15:24 AM » Author: Rommie
If you could get one, something like this might possibly be ok for very short periods. Trouble is, being a SBMV lamp, it severely shortens lamp life turning it on and off all the time  :-\

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #16 on: May 07, 2020, 07:04:39 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Sox35, I would definitely give that lamp a try, but that lamp has a different screw base, and it's for 220-240 volts.  :-[

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #17 on: May 07, 2020, 11:00:53 AM » Author: Rommie
@Sox35, I would definitely give that lamp a try, but that lamp has a different screw base, and it's for 220-240 volts:-[
I'm sure there are 120V US equivalents, I've certainly seen pictures of them on the site. Have a look on eBay and see what's there. I just did a search here for "Philips Ultraphil" and a dozen complete fixtures popped up straight away priced at anything from £5 to £30 so it's worth a look.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

migette1

View Posts
View Gallery

Peter

migette1
Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #18 on: May 09, 2020, 05:29:08 PM » Author: migette1
I would be very careful, take a lot of these You Tubes with a pinch of salt, lot of crap written and a lot of dangerous things are said, I remember someone playing about with a Magnatron from a microwave using the high voltage transformer, instant death could of happened or instant blindness as the liquid in the eye boils! from the microwaves.

Interested in the history of electric lighting and incandescent in particular and neon glow lamps.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #19 on: May 09, 2020, 05:31:30 PM » Author: Rommie
I would be very careful, take a lot of these You Tubes with a pinch of salt, lot of crap written and a lot of dangerous things are said, I remember someone playing about with a Magnatron from a microwave using the high voltage transformer, instant death could of happened or instant blindness as the liquid in the eye boils! from the microwaves.
The Ultraphil lamps are fine as long as you don't overdo it. No more than a couple of minutes at most in one go, and always skip a day so only ever use them every other day.Magnetrons are a different thing altogether, I agree, so stay well clear of them  @-@

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #20 on: May 16, 2020, 07:56:29 AM » Author: James
Very very bad idea!  In the first case, self-ballasted mercury lamps were banned for personal tanning in the 1980s, because there were too many proven cases of skin cancer caused by their rather shorter wavelengths than metal halide and fluorescent-style tanning lamps.  Secondly, the reptile types are nearly always low-cost Chinese products which are highly variable in spectrum from lamp-to-lamp and between individual brands.  Reptiles are rather more resistant than humans to a UV overdose, but even with them there are many complaints on the forums about UV burns.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #21 on: May 16, 2020, 09:30:55 AM » Author: suzukir122
I think that about sums it up. With regarding SB Mercury Vapor lamps, it's a bad idea. I will not be purchasing them. I may
purchase SB Mercury Vapor lamps that aren't for reptiles some day for different purposes (general lighting) but none for reptiles.
It's kinda looking like tanning might be a bad idea in general...?

I've thought about maybe tanning while riding my bike or something but even that's not an option since I wear full gear.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #22 on: May 16, 2020, 09:33:37 AM » Author: Rommie
I've not personally had any problems with the Ultraphil MLU300 lamp, but then I've only used it a handful of times and I've never sat directly in front of it for longer than 2 or 3 minutes at a time and I always used the supplied goggles.

I agree though they are a bad idea in general.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #23 on: May 24, 2020, 03:44:52 PM » Author: Binarix128
You can use incandescent or halogen bulbs at your house, for "simulate" sun light.  :inc: :hal:
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #24 on: May 24, 2020, 03:56:57 PM » Author: suzukir122
I've thought about that @Binarix128... no idea if that would yield any results though.

Interests:

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #25 on: May 29, 2020, 12:34:51 AM » Author: Binarix128
I've thought about that @Binarix128... no idea if that would yield any results though.
Maybe using quartz halo bulbs, halogen are slightly more colder than normal incandescent, so they emmite more uv (so little quantity, almost nothing) that little of uv must be ok, you may cut the outher glass baloon in normal using halo bulbs whith an outher glass balloon (dangerous) or install proper double ended halo fixtures. You can find cheap fixtures, but be sure of getting good bulbs.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 03:18:11 PM by Binarix128 » Logged
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #26 on: February 26, 2021, 12:36:23 AM » Author: themaritimegirl
I'm trying this right now, with a 160W reptile lamp placed 5' above my bed. I have psoriasis, and in places that I can't expose to the sun outdoors in public lol. So I'm trying this, starting with 10 minutes a day; 5 lying on my back and 5 on my stomach.

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #27 on: February 26, 2021, 01:36:46 AM » Author: suzukir122
@themaritimegirl, good luck. I'm still debating on this for real... not sure if I'll follow through with it.

Interests:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #28 on: February 26, 2021, 08:15:04 AM » Author: Rommie
@themaritimegirl, good luck. I'm still debating on this for real... not sure if I'll follow through with it.
Personally I don't recommend it. The Philips MLU300 was designed for the purpose, even so when I use it, I keep a minimum of 10in to 1ft from it and always wear the supplied goggles. If you don't have any UV blocking goggles, make sure you keep your eyes firmly closed or wear a sleep eye mask.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies