Author Topic: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea?  (Read 12101 times)
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « on: May 03, 2020, 02:17:15 AM » Author: suzukir122
Sooo... through a YouTube video that I accidentally stumbled across while searching, I'm now thinking about getting a UV bulb for *SLIGHT* tanning.
I'm black, so I don't need to tan much... but it's mainly to darken areas affected by Seborrheic Dermatitis. Good idea? Or bad idea?
Let me know your thoughts. And yep, SB Mercury Vapor would be my choice, but I'm not looking for high wattage lamps here. (150+ watts)
Anything that provides enough UV to see results, is good... as long as it isn't LED.
If it's a good idea, what would work best?
Here is the video that got me thinking about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODLLHT867g

Also, the uploader claims he's using a SB Mercury Vapor lamp, but not sure if he truly is or not.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 02:33:31 AM » Author: dor123
I don't know which wavelengths of UV is emitted by UV lamp for replite, but artificial suntanning in general is dangerous for skin cells, and can cause skin cancer.
I think he indeed use a SBMV reflector lamp, since it light immediately at full output and turning on and off like an incandescent lamp.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 02:45:00 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Dor123, yeah that's what gets me highly concerned about this... skin cancer. I don't know whether the UV emitted from UV lamps
is much similar to the sun's UV rays. I also don't know whether this is truly good to combat Seborrheic Dermatitis or Psoriasis,
and I don't know whether I run the risk of getting skin cancer with continuous usage.
This could be a bad idea.
I have enough money to purchase a 100w SBMV immediately, but I don't want to buy it if using for what I need it for, could
cause skin cancer.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 02:59:01 AM » Author: dor123
Regular SBMV lamps produces only in the 365nm UVA, which isn't dangerous to the skin, and the glass blocking all UVB and UVC. Reptile UV lamps may have a glass that transparent to shorter UV radiation.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 03:06:16 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Dor123, ahh... so this might be an idea to potentially give a try then? I'm definitely very skeptical about purchasing a SBMV lamp for this.
I've found several on Ebay

Interests:

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 03:20:56 AM » Author: dor123
Acording to this website reptile lamps produces visible light, UVA and UVB.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 04:50:19 AM » Author: Medved
Reptile bulbs are on purpose designed to pass UVB, as well as some UVC (the purpose is to provide disinfection for the reptiles), so really not suitable for tanning at all.

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 04:58:14 AM » Author: dor123
Is the skin of reptile immune to short wave UV?

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 08:46:54 AM » Author: Medved
Is the skin of reptile immune to short wave UV?

They need it to kill fungi infections. For sure, it causes some damage, but their evolution (in high sun exposure environment) had made them able to heal it so it lasts well their whole life. But the fungi infections are way worse - again the evolution had made the reptiles to have not much other defense against these infections, so they rely on the sun UVB and UVC.
Of course, they may suffer from overexposure, so the UV has to be accompanied with the correct proportion of IR. These animals "control" the exposure by just heat feeling, so if the UV lamps are used without the (or very little) heat component, UV overexposure could become a problem.

The blended IR/UV from those selfballasted MVs uses to be in quite correct proportion, therefore their popularity among terrarists...

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 09:05:23 AM » Author: Rommie
Artificial tanning is in general a bad idea. If your skin was meant to be a certain colour, it would be already.

To the OP, I would suggest seeing your doctor.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 09:08:09 AM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 10:03:55 AM » Author: Medved
...I'm black, ...
... but it's mainly to darken areas affected by Seborrheic Dermatitis.

If you, as a black, have "white" patches on the skin (due to whatever cause), it is very likely due to the melanin missing alltogether on that place. So the UV wont get it dark, but you would get more likely sunburns there instead. If the melanin would be there (or the cells would be able to produce it), the skin would be dark already even without the tanning.
The eventual UV treatment is aimed to kill the yeast causing the problem, not to "tan" the skin.
So any treatment, include the eventual UV, needs to be really guided and supervised by your doctor. Even when it is supposed to be "just" the cosmetic "recovery".

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 12:33:30 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@suzukir122:
Why not just sit out in the sun for a bit now that its spring?
Or maybe get an actual tanning lamp?
While nothing is 'safe' that's probably safer than trying something like reptile lamps..
(I also years ago remember reading an article where they found that sun is safer than the tanning beds - or whatever they call them (but those also have allot more than 1 or 2 lamps .lol. ))

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 07:53:56 PM » Author: suzukir122
Ahh, so what I'm getting from this thus far: bad idea.

I'm guessing all tanning lamps, whether it be for reptiles, or for humans, is not to be trusted?
Not even 3 minute tanning sessions? Is that even enough to kill the Fungi?
The area I hoped to tan isn't severely discolored. It's noticeable, but it's not like marshmallows
in hot chocolate kind of situation. lol (I know, bad example) The area is slightly pinker throughout
the hair line area of my scalp area. Itching and scratching might be the primary reasoning for this, due to
Seborreheic Dermatitis.
I'd tan out in the sun but then I'd be tanning the majority of my body, and I don't need that type of a tan lol
(We don't really get that much sun here in Ohio anyways. haha)
But yeah if tanning in general is not a recommended idea for this situation, I simply won't do it.

Interests:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 08:41:20 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: suzukir122
I'm guessing all tanning lamps, whether it be for reptiles, or for humans, is not to be trusted?
Not even 3 minute tanning sessions? Is that even enough to kill the Fungi?
I'd trust one meant for humans more than one for reptiles.
Something for killing the fungi would probably be best answered by a doctor?
Maybe they make some sort of shampoo that will treat it?

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Reptile UV Bulb for Tanning... Bad Idea? « Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 09:00:31 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Xmaslightguy, yep they make shampoo for it. The one that I use is MG217 Psoriasis, Medicated Shampoo. That seems
to help but to a certain extent. It doesn't help me get rid of discoloration though. I would think that discoloration
would go away once it's completely healed, so this also leads me to believe that it's not healing at all.
But yeah, maybe I might still purchase UV lamps that aren't for the Reptiles. The person that created that YouTube
video that I linked to might just be misinformed.

Interests:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies