Author Topic: "Bulb muncher" ballasts/gear?  (Read 2714 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
"Bulb muncher" ballasts/gear? « on: May 09, 2020, 10:36:05 PM » Author: Cole D.
I remember reading here that some battery powered fluorescent fixtures cause blackening of the tube ends. Hence called "bulb muncher."

What I wonder is are there any particular line-voltage fluorescent or HID ballast or gear that are known for burning through lamps quickly? Is it possible a ballast could be manufactured incorrectly and supply improper over/under voltage to the lamp and cause early failure or excessive arc tube blackening? How about HPS/MH ignitor supplying over/under voltage?

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: "Bulb muncher" ballasts/gear? « Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 12:10:20 AM » Author: joseph_125
For fluorescent lamps you could run a NPF rapid start ballast with the cathode heating supply disconnected. The NPF rapid start ballasts tend to also have low ballast factor so the lamps are underdriven. If you disconnect the cathode heating supply, the cathodes won't reach proper temperature during operation and will probably darken a lot sooner.

I believe on most NPF ballasts you would disconnect one of the reds and cap off, and the single blue wire and cap off separately.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: "Bulb muncher" ballasts/gear? « Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 01:55:33 AM » Author: dor123
Battery powered ballast underdrives the lamps and connects one wire to each end of the lamp, so the lamp cathodes run cold, and hence the sputtering.
Magnetic ballasts can't run on DC in any way.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: "Bulb muncher" ballasts/gear? « Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 11:33:52 AM » Author: sol
I had a 2x40W HPF RS magnetic ballast at church and it was going through lamps quite quickly. Other lamps in the room lasted about 10 years because of low use, but these lasted about 3-4 months. After getting tired of changing lamps, I removed the channel cover and noticed a disconnected yellow wire. Quick repair job and no problems after that.

I have several Robertson 4-6-8W chokes (slim type) that kill 8w lamps in about 6-8 months of 24/7.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: "Bulb muncher" ballasts/gear? « Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 05:24:33 PM » Author: Ash
I have seen some 28W and 54W "tube muncher" ballasts. In them the problem seems to be opposite, the cathodes glow bright Yellow, to the point that the glowing filaments are visible through the phosphor of the lit tube. Cheap "CFL ballast in a standard ballast form factor" things
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: "Bulb muncher" ballasts/gear? « Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 06:36:29 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah cheapo electronic ballasts tended to be tube munchers too. I have a 2ft wraparound with one of these ballasts and the lamp life improved significantly when I replaced the stock "rapid start" ballast with a Sylvania instant start one.

I'd imagine the infamous LOA 2x F40 shoplights probably didn't have very good lamp life either.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: "Bulb muncher" ballasts/gear? « Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 12:03:55 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: joseph_125
I'd imagine the infamous LOA 2x F40 shoplights probably didn't have very good lamp life either.
I've actually had lamps last a pretty long time on those.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:11:20 AM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: "Bulb muncher" ballasts/gear? « Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 01:21:18 AM » Author: joseph_125
That's kind of surprising as I thought those things ate lamps. 
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies