Author Topic: Light that make objects looks weird  (Read 1540 times)
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Light that make objects looks weird « on: May 24, 2020, 03:34:45 PM » Author: Binarix128
We know that low CRI, monochromatic and blacklight make the objects looks different than lighted up by the sunlight or incandescent.
What kind of lamp make objects looks "weird" aside blacklight?
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Light that make objects looks weird « Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 04:45:19 PM » Author: Ash
Most LED lighting, even the ones with high CRI numbers. It makes objects appear in the shade of color that the light source is, instead of it's original color
LightUpMyLife

View Posts
View Gallery

https://www.facebook.com/ https://twitter.com/TedTa
Re: Light that make objects looks weird « Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 09:04:34 PM » Author: LightUpMyLife
High-Pressure Sodium lighting. I do like the color but you'll find out if you try to use it indoors why it's not generally used for indoor lighting...
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: Light that make objects looks weird « Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 09:32:02 PM » Author: Binarix128
High-Pressure Sodium lighting. I do like the color but you'll find out if you try to use it indoors why it's not generally used for indoor lighting...
I seen they used as main lighting indoors, In a book store, it actually looks strange but not that bad.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Light that make objects looks weird « Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 09:34:15 PM » Author: joseph_125
Low pressure sodium lighting is also pretty interesting when used indoors. Same with clear mercury lamps if you can find them.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Light that make objects looks weird « Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 09:49:54 PM » Author: dor123
Most LED lighting, even the ones with high CRI numbers. It makes objects appear in the shade of color that the light source is, instead of it's original color
My Osram/Ledvance LED Base Classic A 60 7W 2700K color LED filament lamp, don't do this.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: Light that make objects looks weird « Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 10:49:46 PM » Author: Binarix128
Some materials that glow under blacklight, also brights under green light. I wonder if LPS make some materials to fluoresce.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Light that make objects looks weird « Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 11:31:02 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
A red light will make blue or green items look black-ish.
Red, white, & light colored items light up nicely (sorta like the effect 'fluorescent-colored' things do with blacklight.)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Light that make objects looks weird « Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 11:45:31 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Binarix128
Some materials that glow under blacklight, also brights under green light. I wonder if LPS make some materials to fluoresce.
SOX/LPS will make anything yellow (or white or orange) show brightly :) but overall it makes everything look "dead" - shades of brown & black. .lol.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: Light that make objects looks weird « Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 12:27:20 AM » Author: Binarix128
I mean that if that SOX waveleght make some material glow in other waveleght different from the SOX one.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Light that make objects looks weird « Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 02:08:40 AM » Author: Ash
Colored light doesn't make things look weird. You realize that the light is colored so expect to see everythig accordingly. With LED the weird part is that the light itself looks White (or close to that) and supposedly with good CRI, yet the things under it appear not like under any other White light..

Fluorescence (with light emitted of different wavelength from the incident light) in a nutshell is when a material catches a photon of some energy level and an electron in it moves to a high state, then drops back in 2 steps - That could be by going to an intermediate state and then to the original state (so 2 photons that together make the same energy), or in materials that have energy bands and traps like semiconductors (and many phosphors etc do behave like semiconductors in that sense), by wasting some energy as heat while in the higher band before reaching the bottom of the band, and then jumping back over the gap with only the remaining energy

It so happens, that the energy that must be "wasted" before the jump is usually high enough so there are not many materials that would be excited by anything "below" Blue light and still emit in the visible spectrum
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Light that make objects looks weird « Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 12:45:44 AM » Author: tolivac
I have some HPS grow lamps in my collection.Those are used indoors.
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Light that make objects looks weird « Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 08:09:18 AM » Author: sol
I find that incandescent, fluorescent (especially triphosphor) and ceramic MH have a "glassy" appearance (=desirable, sparkly, beautiful to look at objects under them) whereas most LED have a "plastic" appearance and renders colours in weird ways (similar to what Ash mentions).

I should mention, however, that some LED installations don't do this. I noticed it is mainly 3500K-ish linear integrated LEDs designed to be "beautiful" as well as functional.

Now, all this is subjective, however. A windowless room lit with warm white ~50 CRI halophosphate fluorescent could be "improved" with the "plastic" appearance of LED I mentioned.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies