Author Topic: What if you paint a 100w incandescent with...  (Read 1984 times)
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
What if you paint a 100w incandescent with... « on: May 27, 2020, 09:09:20 AM » Author: Binarix128
I wonder how fastly the lamp will warm up if you paint it with Vantablack, the bkackest paint in the world.

Vantablack is made out of carbon nanoutubes, so I think everythink will burn on fire like.  ;D :mvblb:
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What if you paint a 100w incandescent with... « Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 12:27:16 PM » Author: Ash
Pretty much the same as if you paint it with ordinary Black paint (assuming no problems like the paint melting off etc)

Why :

The Blackest paint is intended to reduce reflection of light from the surface, in places where this is critical. Let's say (for example - i havent checked the numbers) that the "blackest" paint is 99.9% Black vs. "ordinary" paint is only 99% Black. In such application, you actually are interested in the remaining part. This means that with the "blackest" paint 0.1% of the light is reflected vs. with "ordinary" paint 1% is. This is 10X difference, so very significant

In an application where you need the absorbed light as heat, you are looking at the main part. The difference between 99.9% and 99% is 1.009X. It's very small difference

In this case its even more of a moot point : The light that got reflected will hit the paint again, so it will all get absorbed anyway
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What if you paint a 100w incandescent with... « Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 12:54:51 PM » Author: Rommie
Darksucker paint..!  :lol:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What if you paint a 100w incandescent with... « Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 03:22:23 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Darksucker paint..!  :lol:

I had a feeling this would me mentioned.  ::) :lol:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: What if you paint a 100w incandescent with... « Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 12:42:17 AM » Author: Binarix128
How the spectrum of a black painted halogen bulb shoud look?
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What if you paint a 100w incandescent with... « Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 01:03:10 AM » Author: Medved
How the spectrum of a black painted halogen bulb shoud look?

Orange incandescent. Assuming no material would fail at that temperature...
In real life the lam will just blow up...

No more selfballasted c***

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What if you paint a 100w incandescent with... « Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 09:53:02 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
If you are legitimately looking to make a homemade coloured bulb , consider getting some LED filament lamps and spray-painting them. I did that and it actually turned out very good and I use it in my bedside lamp. The lamp doesn't get hot so it does not harm the paint and it doesn't even look like an LED lamp.

If you try it you may need to practice a few times on some dead lamps to get it right before doing good lamps.

LED Spray-painted bulb

Administrator #5

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: What if you paint a 100w incandescent with... « Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 09:36:18 AM » Author: Binarix128
Nice idea, Lightingguy1994! Well, LED filaments are not as cheap as halogen bulbs but glass temperature and water resistant paint is not easy to get, while you can get a pray paint in your local chinese store.

I have a red paint, I only need the filament bulb now.  :)

I wonder what would happen if I paint a CFL over.  :wndr:
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What if you paint a 100w incandescent with... « Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 10:02:06 AM » Author: Bulbman256

I wonder what would happen if I paint a CFL over.  :wndr:
Well that what most cheap colored cfls did instead of using colored phosphors. :o  :redcfl: :ycfl: :gcfl: :Bluecfl:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: What if you paint a 100w incandescent with... « Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 10:17:33 AM » Author: Binarix128
Well that what most cheap colored cfls did instead of using colored phosphors. :o  :redcfl: :ycfl: :gcfl: :Bluecfl:
So nothing bad should happen.

I've never seen a painted over CFL from factory, I think that its performance is really bad, but way cheaper than spetial color phosphores.  ;D

So you can have one single CFL production line, then you can use paint to make warm, cold and colored CFLs.  ;D
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What if you paint a 100w incandescent with... « Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 01:14:25 PM » Author: Ash
They are not "special color", they are just each ingredient of the 3 that make "triphosphor" phosphor mixes alone...
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies