Author Topic: GE is selling its lighting business to Savant Systems  (Read 1454 times)
lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
GE is selling its lighting business to Savant Systems « on: May 27, 2020, 09:03:35 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Well, its sad that now GE is selling its century old lighting business to a smart automation company, Savant Systems.  :sadbulb:

https://www.cnet.com/news/high-end-smart-home-brand-savant-acquires-ge-lighting/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:06:33 PM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: GE is selling its lighting business to Savant Systems « Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 09:24:19 PM » Author: Cole D.
Yeah I saw that. I am assuming this is just the home/light bulb business, and not part of the commercial/street lighting division.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Mr. Orthosilicate

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE is selling its lighting business to Savant Systems « Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 10:08:21 PM » Author: Mr. Orthosilicate
I’m not sure about street lighting, but I think this includes the commercial lighting too. GE already spun off the LED business into Current by GE, which was sold, but they struggled to get rid of the rest of their lighting business. I think that they are totally out of it now, from what I’ve read (It seems to be implied that they have no lighting operations now).

Looks like Philips is the only company actually making light bulbs themselves anymore, the rest are just licensed brand names now.

I wonder if GE will last. When a company’s core business is no longer viable, they always seem to go. (Westinghouse, being mainly an industrial company & RCA, making vacuum tubes as its core business come to mind). Then again, GE still has power generation, but even that isn’t as important as their aircraft or healthcare divisions, and of course the aircraft business is obviously crap right now.
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: GE is selling its lighting business to Savant Systems « Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 11:16:46 PM » Author: Patrick
It seems like a curious acquisition to me, considering that much of the GE professional smart lighting technology already went to Daintree while much of the GE consumer smart lighting products are sold by Jasco.  Why would a smart lighting systems company want the remainder of GE Lighting, which does not include the portions most relevant to their segment of the market?

Once complete, there will be at least four companies producing lighting products under the GE name, Savant, Daintree, Jasco, and Nicholas Holiday.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 11:21:39 PM by Patrick » Logged

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

LightUpMyLife

View Posts
View Gallery

https://www.facebook.com/ https://twitter.com/TedTa
Re: GE is selling its lighting business to Savant Systems « Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 09:03:42 PM » Author: LightUpMyLife
I work at a company that manufactures parts for GE's Healthcare & Aviation divisions and we were told of this just today.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: GE is selling its lighting business to Savant Systems « Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 10:33:46 PM » Author: Cole D.
It's rather odd that GE has sold off everything that made it what it was, lighting, appliances, etc. The things now have little to do with who they are.

I like a lot of the By Jasco GE products. They have some neat stuff.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: GE is selling its lighting business to Savant Systems « Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 08:37:03 PM » Author: 589
GE, another zombie brand much like their kinfolk and the multitude of other businesses like Milwaukee, Fluke, etc. It wouldn’t surprise me if many of the purchasing entities of late have at least a Chinese connection...

:lps:

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: GE is selling its lighting business to Savant Systems « Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 06:27:10 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Im sad that ge's bulb division is gone. I used to love their bulbs and they where my favorite brand until the bad led crap came out and most of their good quaility incandescents where stopped being made. I think the turning point would be that when the changed from the yellow package to the various color denotign lumesn adn the white background. Also them changing to china lamps was a factor.

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies