Author Topic: Moving tips for bulbs  (Read 2334 times)
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Moving tips for bulbs « on: May 27, 2020, 10:32:53 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Hey lg! as some of you may know im moving in a few weeks and would like some tips on bulb moving! This isn't my first rodeo (this will be my 6th total and my 4th with a bulb collection) and i have most bulbs now  bubble wrap and pack but any info would be helpful!

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Moving tips for bulbs « Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 05:16:36 AM » Author: Rommie
Are you transporting them in your own transport or will a removals firm be involved..? If the latter, just make sure the lamps have "wiggle room" inside the packaging so that if a box is dropped the lamps have a chance of remaining intact. Pack them as you would for long distance shipping.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Moving tips for bulbs « Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 12:10:44 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Are you transporting them in your own transport or will a removals firm be involved..? If the latter, just make sure the lamps have "wiggle room" inside the packaging so that if a box is dropped the lamps have a chance of remaining intact. Pack them as you would for long distance shipping.

They will be transported by army hired movers which are notorious for being rough on stuff (broke my lava lamp a few years back) but i always wrap every bulb in a lot of bubble wrap so that they stay safe and are in an impact it softens it. One time i was carrying a box full of wrapped bulbs down stairs and accidentally drop the box while going down and they all survived. I do have those ken rad floods that i though would be very delicate and wrapped them up and then put in there frayed cardboard boxes. The rest of my boxed bulbs i have put in a bin like i did with the other non boxed bulbs that i wrapped up. There would probably not be enough room in my either of my parent cars to carry my lighting collection with all of our other stuff we are taking.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Moving tips for bulbs « Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 12:41:07 PM » Author: Ash
Separate the lamps (and perhaps other similar things like TV or computer monitor) from the other stuff and move them yourself. Couriers as a rule are apes high on redbull
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Moving tips for bulbs « Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 12:43:27 PM » Author: Rommie
That's rather a sweeping statement. The vast majority of the ones I've dealt with have been excellent.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Moving tips for bulbs « Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 03:12:40 PM » Author: Bulbman256
That's rather a sweeping statement. The vast majority of the ones I've dealt with have been excellent.

Ria, some movers i have had were great but some others stole some cash in a coin jar when i was 4. The army has to pcs ALOT of family and generally the movers the hire are cheap and have to go fast because they need to hit up the next house after they are done packing and as a result they are rough on thing in the terms of speed so that they can move on. I do try and pack stuff as well as i can, but some stuff does break.

Separate the lamps (and perhaps other similar things like TV or computer monitor) from the other stuff and move them yourself. Couriers as a rule are apes high on redbull

Ash, I really don't have any room to put my collection with me while i move as all of my tubs and bins of lights would take up 1/3 of my moms van space with all of the rear seats folded down and would fill my dad trunk in his car so that not an option for me. Im also not going multiple trips as that would take way to long for us. I do try my best to pack all my bulbs really well, and i have only had 1-2 casualties that i can remember. One plus is im going to be staying at my new house until i move out on my own so i get to have some florecent striplights and other fixtures that are hard to move.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Moving tips for bulbs « Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 04:30:35 PM » Author: Rommie
I was talking about courier delivery drivers rather than movers. I've only ever moved home two or three times and we just did it ourselves with several car/van loads.

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Moving tips for bulbs « Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 05:11:26 PM » Author: Bulbman256
I was talking about courier delivery drivers rather than movers. I've only ever moved home two or three times and we just did it ourselves with several car/van loads.

Oh. well my whole family has always moved with army hired movers since we usually have multiple day trips to get to where we live next and moving ourself is impossible since we would have to take 5-6 trips and that would take 6 weeks.

Meme Pods

View Posts
View Gallery

A nice daylight CFL

UCKBWkfqE5WPMlFZmssITqPQ
Re: Moving tips for bulbs « Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 08:33:56 PM » Author: Meme Pods
Wrap each one in bubble wrap

Down with the halogen bulbs

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Moving tips for bulbs « Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 09:00:20 AM » Author: Rommie
You also need to ensure the package as a whole has 'wiggle room' for the lamps, otherwise they could still break if the box is dropped.

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Moving tips for bulbs « Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 12:54:45 PM » Author: Bulbman256
You also need to ensure the package as a whole has 'wiggle room' for the lamps, otherwise they could still break if the box is dropped.

I did make sure of this and added a little bit of room but not oo muck if that the truck suddenly turned it would not have the bulbs roll around. The packers come tomorrow and i made sure the container drawers i have some of my bulbs in i taped them shut so the will not open.

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Moving tips for bulbs « Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 12:55:25 PM » Author: Bulbman256

I do that every time i move but bubble wrap does make a difference.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Moving tips for bulbs « Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 11:52:19 PM » Author: CEB1993
Use a Sterilite brand ornament holder. These hard sided storage cases have separate compartments intended to store fragile Christmas ornaments. I found that they make handy storage for some of my incandescent bulb collection too.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Moving tips for bulbs « Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 07:30:34 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Use a Sterilite brand ornament holder. These hard sided storage cases have separate compartments intended to store fragile Christmas ornaments. I found that they make handy storage for some of my incandescent bulb collection too.

I have a sterlite container for my small nightlight and xmas lamps and one for my a19 incadecendt that i randomly got over the years.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies