Author Topic: Could I revive 11W EOL PL-S lamp  (Read 1159 times)
Froggy05

View Posts
View Gallery

Could I revive 11W EOL PL-S lamp « on: May 28, 2020, 01:08:26 PM » Author: Froggy05
Is it possible? I know that you can revive a fluorescent tube with incandescent lamp, but what about PL-S / CFL lamp? :wndr:
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Could I revive 11W EOL PL-S lamp « Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 01:19:17 PM » Author: dor123
PLs contains krypton which have higher restarting and striking voltage, similar to T8, so they can't operate on a resistive ballast.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Could I revive 11W EOL PL-S lamp « Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 11:27:36 AM » Author: Medved
If you can revive an "EOL" lamp or not depends on why it went "EOL", what happened there.
If just the baryum layer is missing (it was consumed faster than it gets reformed from the oxide; so lamp may exhibit EOL but it is not real EOL), slight and brief overheating of the filament may do the trick.

But if the baryum oxide reservoir is completely consumed (most common EOL of modern lamps), there is no way to revive it.

If the problem is mercury migration (happens after part of the outdoor fixture cover gets broken and one end of the lamp is exposed to cold air draft so the Hg migrates there and is then missing in the tube volume; becomes problem mainly in winter), the lamp usually recovers itself after the cover is fixed, it takes some hours or 10's of hours if really bad.
But if the mercury reacted with e.g. the phosphor and there wasnt enough of it in the first place (many US "low mercury" lamps), tyere is no recovery possible. Same if the gas gets contaminatec by air leaking in through a cracked seal or so, no way to recover.

No more selfballasted c***

Froggy05

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Could I revive 11W EOL PL-S lamp « Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 05:30:52 PM » Author: Froggy05
Thanks for information.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies