Author Topic: Centennial Bulb!  (Read 7709 times)
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Centennial Bulb! « on: May 28, 2020, 07:13:50 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Carbon filament burning at the fire station in Livermore,CA.http://www.centennialbulb.org/photos.htm

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Centennial Bulb! « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 10:07:08 AM » Author: Rommie
Last time I was in California I completely forgot about this, or I'd have made a point of visiting. I hope it's still going next time we can get there, although when that will be is anybody's guess, given the current situation  :sadbulb:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

merc

View Posts
View Gallery

Adam

GoL
Re: Centennial Bulb! « Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 04:52:46 AM » Author: merc
Who wouldn't know the most famous light bulb in the world? :inc: :wndr:
It also appears in the Planned Obsolescence - The Light Bulb Conspiracy film.

There may be conspiracy theories about replacing it periodically to keep this tourist attraction alive but I believe it's genuine.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Centennial Bulb! « Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 09:25:30 AM » Author: Rommie
Who wouldn't know the most famous light bulb in the world? :inc: :wndr:
It also appears in the Planned Obsolescence - The Light Bulb Conspiracy film.

There may be conspiracy theories about replacing it periodically to keep this tourist attraction alive but I believe it's genuine.

They'd have to be quick to swap it out, what with a webcam on it 24/7. Besides, those lamps aren't exactly common.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Centennial Bulb! « Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 09:48:15 AM » Author: mdcastle
I got to see it in 2012. Knock on the door and if the firefighters are around they'll let you in and you can see it and sign the guest book. Otherwise it's positioned so you can see it through a glass door.

They have it on a UPS to filter the power. A while ago the bulb went out and the firefighters got a message from someone in Kentucky watching the webcam. Turns out the bulb was fine but the UPS had failed.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Centennial Bulb! « Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 10:50:55 AM » Author: Rommie
Oh crap  ;D

Hopefully our UPS will be ok, it's new so should keep us going for a few years. Although we only have essential network kit running off it, not rare elderly light bulbs  :bulbman:

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Centennial Bulb! « Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 05:44:58 PM » Author: Silverliner
I’ve seen it before in person. January 1999, when it wasn’t even 100 years old.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Centennial Bulb! « Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 05:54:46 PM » Author: Rommie
Nice, well maybe we'll get there one day, assuming air travel ever gets back to somewhere resembling normal  :-\

Daniel f

View Posts
View Gallery

in my house is not used led and if I can avoid it

Re: Centennial Bulb! « Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 04:05:45 PM » Author: Daniel f
Hi .  The centennial light bulb is one of the most attractive to me.  in fact I collect them by any variant.  either the base or the filament loop.  I would like to know if the centennial light bulb has thomson houston screw base or is it edison base? ::)
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Centennial Bulb! « Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 09:58:55 PM » Author: Binarix128
Hi .  The centennial light bulb is one of the most attractive to me.  in fact I collect them by any variant.  either the base or the filament loop.  I would like to know if the centennial light bulb has thomson houston screw base or is it edison base? ::)
At the time lamp bases wasn't standarized as today, maybe it have a bi-pin base, and the bulb can fall in any moment.  ;D
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Centennial Bulb! « Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 07:14:46 AM » Author: Rommie
Looking at the live webcam picture, it's hard to tell and I can't find any info on the website. Maybe someone there knows, might be worth an email to them directly..? The email is centennialbulb@hotmail.com  :bulbman:

Daniel f

View Posts
View Gallery

in my house is not used led and if I can avoid it

Re: Centennial Bulb! « Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 07:55:30 AM » Author: Daniel f
thank you .  I have to find out, and I have seen other images and I am more and more sure that it is the e26 screw base. :P
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies